Comparing Turbocharged Engines

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I'm wondering why there's such a big difference between the Ford Ecoboost (as in the Mustang) and my new Hyundai 1.6T as far as maintenance goes.

Both engines are direct injected. Both turbos. Hyundai calls for oil changes every 5,000 miles (they don't have an OLM) and here's the big one: they call for spark plug replacement (Iridium) at 45,000 miles which is less than half the life of their own non-turbo engines! The Mustang owner's manual says the OLM will alert for an oil change in 7-10,000 depending on use, and they also use iridium (?) plugs but the EB can go 100k on its plugs.

I understand that turbo engines work harder and the Mustang EB is a potent engine with 320hp so how are they able to go such long intervals? The Hyundai is only 1.6L and only does 180 or so hp so why such short intervals? I wonder if Hyundai is just trying to cover their ass since they offer a 100k warranty.

Also.... Mustang does not require 93 octane and there's a horsepower penalty if you use 87, I think it only does 275hp. Nowhere in the literature does it say the Hyundai will give more hp if I use 93 but I wonder if it would?
Sponsored

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
I'm wondering why there's such a big difference between the Ford Ecoboost (as in the Mustang) and my new Hyundai 1.6T as far as maintenance goes.

Both engines are direct injected. Both turbos. Hyundai calls for oil changes every 5,000 miles (they don't have an OLM)
Yup, they didn't spend the money to develop an oil life monitor. So they give an interval that's safer for the engine. The 1.6 is in lower market cars than a Mustang. Remember, the 2.3 Ecoboost is also in the Lincoln MKC; it's the more expensive engine. The 2.3 was developed as a premium engine. Also, Ford is a bigger company with more money, so they can spread the development cost across engine programs.

and here's the big one: they call for spark plug replacement (Iridium) at 45,000 miles which is less than half the life of their own non-turbo engines!
The Hyundai may use a stronger voltage for the plug. The main reason for that could be a higher rate of internal exhaust gas recirculation. If there is more overlap in the intake and exhaust stroke when the variable valve timing is maxed out (maximum intake advance, maximum exhaust retard) it will require a stronger voltage to ignite the mixture.

The Mustang uses an Atkinson cycle variable valve timing instead which requires a special VVT system. It relies on a late intake valve closing more than it relies on high EGR rates. They may be able to get away with longer plug change intervals due to that reason.

Also.... Mustang does not require 93 octane and there's a horsepower penalty if you use 87, I think it only does 275hp. Nowhere in the literature does it say the Hyundai will give more hp if I use 93 but I wonder if it would?
Ford certifies it's engines with SAE witness tests, and certifies separately with regular fuel and premium fuel. The certification is entirely voluntary. Hyundai may "self report" their horsepower numbers, like many OEMs. So you don't know the details so much.

Turbo engines always run better with higher octane fuel, even if it's marketed to be ok on regular fuel. The thing is, it can only run better on higher octane fuel if the engine controller will let it. That varies with the engine. Some have the spark "maxed out" for regular fuel. Some actually have spark settings for premium that can adjust for regular fuel, but they simply don't advertise that fact.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
The Hyundai may use a stronger voltage for the plug. The main reason for that could be a higher rate of internal exhaust gas recirculation. If there is more overlap in the intake and exhaust stroke when the variable valve timing is maxed out (maximum intake advance, maximum exhaust retard) it will require a stronger voltage to ignite the mixture.
GDI engines have always had a problem with crankcase ventilation leaving buildup on the valves since there's no fuel flow in the intake to clean them so I wonder if this is part of the reason they would use more voltage to the plug - something to do with a more complete burn in order to reduce contamination which would sludge up the oil and end up back in the intake. Maybe that combined with more conservative oil changes is how they tackle that problem.

The EB engine felt more powerful than their 3.7 V6 when I drove it due to more torque probably. Seems like a premium engine! But then, some have had those engines blow up earning the nickname "EcoBoom"
Sponsored