2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot

Thelopez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Ok thanks. I'll look at that first. Car goes in Wednesday and the service guy said he hasn't had that happen to any if the mustangs so far.

Thelopez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Just checked my ground wires. None of them were broken. I'll find out tomorrow what the dealer says

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT PP Competition Orange
Wow this thread saved my bacon. I have the very same thing that you had [MENTION=18668]nicktechla[/MENTION]. Same symptoms and broke ground wire under the whipple air box. Where did you get a new lug to solder onto the wire?

Sponsored

OP
OP
nicktechla

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
Wow this thread saved my bacon. I have the very same thing that you had [MENTION=18668]nicktechla[/MENTION]. Same symptoms and broke ground wire under the whipple air box. Where did you get a new lug to solder onto the wire?
I just went to Home Depot, and I went around the electrical section until I found one that will fit that bolt. I think this was made to crimp, but I got a butane soldering iron and just filled it with solder. It made a pretty solid connection once it was all soldered up. Probably better than factory :thumbsup:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackbu...g-for-4-Stranded-Wire-CTL4-516-B1-6/100206272

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
So mine was exactly this issue. Pulled the air box up and there she was, the same broken ground. The Whipple Air filter is so big that it is very close to this ground that is breaking so upon putting the box in if you are not careful to not hit this ground with the filter it seems to break very easily. The symptoms are a U0121 code which is Comm failure with ABS module. You will also have service advance track message and the maintenance wrench on in the dash. Reconnect this ground and all is good.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Quality is Job 1 for Ford
Obviously you missed the part regarding the fact that this vehicle is modified with a Whipple Supercharger kit. As stated later in the post, this particular ground was damaged when the Whipple airbox was installed. Stop trying to blame the manufacturer for damage caused by aftermarket modifications.

Eleanor15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
That's shitty ass quality. IDC that they added a aftermarket airbox. So what if they might have bummed the wire, slightly tugged on it putting the airbox in. That should not happen unless you grabbed it with both hands and yanked on it. I hardly doubt that happen simply putting in an airbox. Stop trying to obfuscate Ford's shity craftsmanship

OP
OP
nicktechla

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
Obviously you missed the part regarding the fact that this vehicle is modified with a Whipple Supercharger kit. As stated later in the post, this particular ground was damaged when the Whipple airbox was installed. Stop trying to blame the manufacturer for damage caused by aftermarket modifications.
i don't think mine was damaged when I did the install, but i think the filter was banging against the ground which eventually broke the ground. I don't blame the manufacturer, but the ground lug was pretty weak material :)

Sponsored

DrDing.Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
i don't think mine was damaged when I did the install, but i think the filter was banging against the ground which eventually broke the ground. I don't blame the manufacturer, but the ground lug was pretty weak material :)
I agree. While it does possibly hit the ground either on installation or during driving there is no way that should break this ground. The material is very weak and soft.

OP
OP
nicktechla

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
I agree. While it does possibly hit the ground either on installation or during driving there is no way that should break this ground. The material is very weak and soft.
yeah that's pretty bad if you bump it with a rubber filter end that it would break in half :p
Sponsored