Sponsored

Cold Air Intake

Festivus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT CS
I need someone to educate me... I'm trying to figure out how a new CAI will actually provide an increase in performance. I've been monitoring my air intake temps and it consistently shows it to be about 5 degrees higher than the outside air temps. If that's the case with my stock intake how can say an AirRaid CAI improve on that? Is it more related to the filter than the air temps?
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The stock intake can also show 40+ degrees higher than ambient, if sitting in traffic on a hot day.

Really, the stock intake is pretty good, it's a CAI unit, and you don't really need anything else unless you get into long tube headers, AFAIK.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Lots of threads on this already. The main difference is the change on the filter and the bend to the throttle body which allows more air past the MAF which a tune can take advantage of. There's not much of a difference from the stock box with a new filter in comparison with an aftermarket intake.

The most you get is more sound and a better look with an aftermarket intake. The difference is negligible in a lot of these cases because the stock box is already really good. Closed off filters tend to stay slightly cooler, but not by a lot. They both recover IAT's decently once you're moving.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Welcome to the forum! Search is your best friend here! Go over to engine mods section. Endless information (opinions) on this matter........

OP
OP
Festivus

Festivus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT CS
Wow, I'm super impressed getting feedback so quickly. I kind of thought the tubing and filter might be the actual improvement as well as the visual appearance. Next time I'll make sure to do a search to see if my question has been addressed before posting and thanks for the responses.

Sponsored

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
As others have said. Not much, if any, increase without a tune.

The reason I did one is the increased growl.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
My probably useless anecdote- when I first got a tune on my stock car, it was noticeably faster. Then when I added a CAI to my tune, the car felt like it pulled even harder up top. So yes, I do think a CAI gives a bit more HP on top versus the stock air box. Most dynos I've seen comparing tune to tune+CAI shows about 10HP increase. It may not be a lot but noticeable for some.

Everyone said there would no HP increase for a CAI aka hot air intake. But I got one anyway and I did feel a difference even if it is placebo. I do think there is a tangible purpose to an aftermarket CAI - or else why would so many racers have put them on their cars over the years? There must be some benefit I think. You should be able to flow more air into the engine with a larger intake tube and filter which equals more fuel to make more power.

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
More air = more power!!! That's the main difference. The stock setup is pretty damn stout, but a PMAS/JLT combo'd with a nGauge + tune makes quite the difference. Go catless with some headers and boom, more power. Let me know if I could help you grab any of these. :)

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As others have said. Not much, if any, increase without a tune.

The reason I did one is the increased growl.

Did you notice a significant difference in sound? Which one did you go with?

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Someone needs to test stock air box w/ k&n filter + tune VS pmas/jlt + tune.

Sponsored

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yep. It definitely made it sound a bit deeper with more growl. I went with Mishimoto's.

Here's there video for sound comparison.

wow that's a huge difference. To be honest, it's what I'm looking for. I find myself wanting more noise, but have no interest in any drone or buying a brand new exhaust (I currently have a Solo Axleback).

How's the noise in the cabin? Also, did you tune or nah?

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
wow that's a huge difference. To be honest, it's what I'm looking for. I find myself wanting more noise, but have no interest in any drone or buying a brand new exhaust (I currently have a Solo Axleback).

How's the noise in the cabin? Also, did you tune or nah?
I like the way it sounds. I also removed the sound tube, because I think it's silly, but you should see if you like the way it sounds with or without it. I have not tuned it, yet.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I like the way it sounds. I also removed the sound tube, because I think it's silly, but you should see if you like the way it sounds with or without it. I have not tuned it, yet.
Nice, thanks brotha :cheers:
Sponsored