Clutchless shift M6 2018 GT

OP
OP

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
When I bought my first new Mustang 31 years ago the salesman actually knew how to drive.
Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Is that gnarly grinding sound I hear considered "normal"?

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Found the official source, it's in the dealer eSourcebook for the 2018s.

https://www.mustang6g.com/?p=11617

* No-lift shift is available in all gears on all models
‒ Maintains boost on EcoBoost models for faster acceleration
‒ Driver can keep the accelerator floored while pushing in the clutch pedal and shifting gears
This yo-yo didn't read very carefully.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Funny, if you shift it right...you can keep the pedal floored WITHOUT the need for computer sorcery.

modru2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10gt
Salesman today took me on a test ride/drive. He did a clutchless shift - told me this was a new thing. Something I would never consider doing. Is there something I’m missing? Serious question. Thank you.

so is the salesman driving the car before letting you switch a new thing fords doing lately? when i looked at an 18 mustang i had a similar experience in which the salesman said he was required to drive it out of the dealership lot before we could switch and i could drive the car.

they also did that to my grandma when she was looking at getting a fiesta for her new car.

OP
OP

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
so is the salesman driving the car before letting you switch a new thing fords doing lately? when i looked at an 18 mustang i had a similar experience in which the salesman said he was required to drive it out of the dealership lot before we could switch and i could drive the car.

they also did that to my grandma when she was looking at getting a fiesta for her new car.
Exactly, he drove it off the lot then took it over to fill up with 87 octane.
Then demonstrated the new “feature” shift which really surprised me.
Maybe it should not have?

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2

My salesman pulled it up to the front door, said it was full of gas, go have some fun, I'll see you later. I guess it pays to be 55, look responsible, and car shop with the wife.

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I just wanna point out that my 10 speed auto allows me to no lift shift and i don't have to use a clutch. it's putting power to the ground 100% of the time baby.. :cheers:

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
*flamesuit on*

I shifted without the clutch today. No problem. gear to neutral, let revs drop with the gentlest pressure on the stick, & snick right into the next gear. Doesn't sound like that's what the salesdimwit did though. It's also not something I'd do often, but good to know I could if my knee goes out or something.

OP
OP

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
*flamesuit on*

I shifted without the clutch today. No problem. gear to neutral, let revs drop with the gentlest pressure on the stick, & snick right into the next gear. Doesn't sound like that's what the salesdimwit did though. It's also not something I'd do often, but good to know I could if my knee goes out or something.
Thanks.

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
My salesman pulled it up to the front door, said it was full of gas, go have some fun, I'll see you later. I guess it pays to be 55, look responsible, and car shop with the wife.
I'm 33 and had a similar experience. :cheers: I did a quick test drive on a Friday with the salesman in the passenger seat. 10 minutes later, I had dealer tags and an extended test drive through the weekend. I was surprised they allowed that on a car with less than 50 miles on the odometer.

It did give me a chance to get the wifey's seal of approval before buying it the following Monday.

Regarding shifting without using the clutch, I agree with others that it's fairly easy to do as long as you time the revs right. Although, it's probably best to not make a habit out of it. Oh, and do NOT force it. It'll go into gear without force if you hit the timing right.

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Salesman today took me on a test ride/drive. He did a clutchless shift - told me this was a new thing. Something I would never consider doing. Is there something I’m missing? Serious question. Thank you.
Thanks for posting. I was interested in this as well. The Ford Power Packs say they deliver this functionality with the 'tuning' code Ford delivers as part of the Power Pack.

I spoke to a few people to confirm the functionality is just like the salesperson demonstrated for you. It's a no-lift shift. I would personally be concerned about my performance shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th... but 1st to 2nd combined with launch control.. heeee haaaaaaaa!
Sponsored