Sponsored

Choose your boost wisely.. (The non-offending, version 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Here we go again. So, here is Version 2 of "Why you should choose your boost wisely".

Even when you try not to, apparently you can break the rules. We apparently violated forum rules by showing pictures of a damaged product from another vendor.. even though I tried not to name anyone in particular. Our intent was to show folks the truth about what goes on, and to help show why we work so hard to maintain certain standards. Those standards are also shared by many other reputable vendors here (and some not on here). The idea is to promote a quality product line for ALL Mustang owners. It goes beyond this website/forum. But, we have to do this within the constraints of forum policy.

Like it or not, we have to play by the rules. ;) So, here's a thread about some of the issues that we've come across over the years in the manufacturing/automotive industry in general. We're also going to show what we've done at Boost Works to make sure that we're offering the best product for the money spent. A lot of this stuff is "hush hush", and even some of the best known companies can "sell out" or settle for cheap manufacturing standards. It happens all the time. Sometimes, it's not an issue. Other times, you get a pair of headers that shove the mid-pipe(s) into the floor board. Or, you get a turbo kit that starts to rust, corrode, or may even crack. Fitment may be an issue.. and even though the polished up shiny turd that you pulled out of the box looks great at first, the issues can be apparent not-so-long after. :D

Lousy, right? Who would do such a thing?! Well, here is a picture of a non-Mustang, non-competing/paying m6g vendor, non-offensive, turbo manifold from a manufacturer here in the states, that sells stuff made from "304 stainless" sourced from China:

7769d1215730555-100_0153.jpg

If you look closely, (Well, honestly you don't really have to look closely) you'll notice that there was a failure at a weld joint for the waste gate. Also, you can see how the "304 stainless" used is starting to show signs of corrosion. I'm no metallurgist by terms of a paper degree, but I've been working with metal for 20 years. I can tell you that GOOD quality 304 stainless will not pit, rust, or corrode in this application. Also, the failure of the weld joint is indicative of dissimilar metals being joined, and expanding at vastly different rates. This is what happens when the guy in China throws a few box springs in the vat of molten "pot metal" because it's a little low on carbon.

Over and over again, we've seen this stuff go down. Cheap, Chinese made "stainless steel" is often a hodgepodge of metal with inconsistencies through and through. It's about half the cost of good quality 304 or 321 from reputable suppliers such as Wolfe Aircraft, or Columbia River. What's your time, money, and your car worth to you?

banner-home.jpg

No one should be snowed as to what they're buying. There are dozens of big name manufacturers in the US who build and sell "USA MADE" turbo systems, headers, and other fabricated parts, using this same material. Some of them even outsource the entire job to China. Fitment is often problematic, and the parts start to show these same signs of corrosion and/or failure after some usage.

So, it's tough not to take offense when a manufacturer claims that their product is "made in the USA", and it's really not. In addition, we've seen instances where A/C lines are rubbing, downpipes rub on steering shafts, battery trays.. etc. Radiator fan shrouds and other plastic parts becoming brittle over time. Often times, these cars make great power, but is that really all that difficult? And at what cost does it come to the owner/vehicle? We've seen shoddy fabrication methods used, such as MIG welding without any sort of back-purging.. rust, scaling, cracking. In 17 years, I've seen a lot in this industry in terms of junk being pawned off as "quality parts" by companies who hide behind a big name. They forgot what got them there to begin with. Not us.

Undeterred by the idea of paying pennies on the dollar to have our stuff made in China, or use cheap material that would save us 50-60% on manufacturing costs here in the states, we continue to build, in-house. What we offer is manufactured using the best methods, and the best materials in the industry. TIG welding process, employing 2 very skilled fabricators with a combined 40 years of experience. We have invested in Miller Dynasty 350dx inverter welding machines. This gives us fine control over frequency for aluminum, and gives us a ton of clean power/muscle for steel, stainless steel, titanium, and Chrome moly. We also perform back purging on anything "pre-turbo" to prevent oxidation and slag formation (which can damage a turbine wheel if it breaks off). This process floods the welded part with inert gas (argon) to prevent oxidation. We use high quality 304 stainless, and also offer options for 316L and even 321 stainless. When you pay 8.. 9, or 10K+ for a turbo system, you should expect and demand quality materials and craftsmanship.

Crack open a cold one, and start browsing about fabrication in general. There's a lot of competition out there. There are many choices. Some have huge have proven track records in terms of power production, track times, and sheer volume of sales. And we understand at Boost Works that not everyone cares about the issues I've brought up here. I get that.. We get that. However, I look at the parts like the one in the pic I showed above, and I would be EMBARRASED to stamp my name on it and send it out the door. It just won't happen on my watch.

Kicking a notion or thought (or in some cases, a damning picture) to the curb because it may hurt someone's feelings is pretty lame. So, I say to you folks.. Look at what you're buying. Ask questions. And make sure that the answers match the reality of what your eyes tell you. ;) A $10K purchase should be made with the best information available. You likely get one shot at it.. unless you're rich. I'm not, so I'm careful about what I buy. ;)

Settle for nothing less!

- Boost Works
Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
LOL...so it's against the rules to post results of a product because the person/company that sells it is a member? Or is against the rules ONLY because you're a competing company?

In that case, write the post for the owner of the car, and then let them post it.

Either way, thanks for the knowledge and keep on keeping on with the good work!

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Thank god for vendors like Travis that tell it like it is and don't hide stuff for the sake off "selling" products. Thanks for the first and now this post! Makes all the difference when doing research

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
post for subscription.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Wow...money really does get you everything around here.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
It is what it is as we Brits say.....if your selling stuff that's comes apart after some mileage is put on it, then in the classic game of throne Circi (speling) voice

SHAME

SHAME

SHAME

I would rather see the vendor called out instead doing the massive coverup...

OP
OP

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thank god for vendors like Travis that tell it like it is and don't hide stuff for the sake off "selling" products. Thanks for the first and now this post! Makes all the difference when doing research
You have to be brutally honest.. When we experienced a failure in our OPG for our twin turbo test car, we came on here and told everyone. I know for sure that some other companies have had failures and have not brought it to light. Holding ourselves accountable is the only way that we can get better, and get ahead.

Sponsored

Pincushin3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Paxton GT
You have to be brutally honest.. When we experienced a failure in our OPG for our twin turbo test car, we came on here and told everyone. I know for sure that some other companies have had failures and have not brought it to light. Holding ourselves accountable is the only way that we can get better, and get ahead.
Not trying to be a nut hugger but :clap2: to you & your company. I've had a company sell me a product that failed & was tearing my car up in the process. It was covered up & cost me & 11+ others on a forum $5800 yes that is five thousand eight hundred dollars before we all had to find out for ourselves.

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
LOL...so it's against the rules to post results of a product because the person/company that sells it is a member? Or is against the rules ONLY because you're a competing company?

In that case, write the post for the owner of the car, and then let them post it.

Either way, thanks for the knowledge and keep on keeping on with the good work!
THIS x1000000000000000000

:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.