ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
With all the reports of oil filters backing off, I think I have found a cheap and easy way to help secure the filter. I wish I could take the credit for this, but I can't. A Facebook friend of mine showed me what the motorcycle guys have been doing for years.

You can actually put a band clamp on the oil filter and use that as an anchor for safety wire! Its so freaking simple, I can't believe that I didn't think of this on my own. I'm currently "between" Shelby's right now, so I can't get a car on the lift and implement this right now, but I can pass this on to you guys! Who's doing it first? :cheers:

I wonder if we will see some sort of T.S.B. from Ford in the future containing a band clamp and some safety wire?!? :shrug:

NOTE: 1st Pic for reference only / from a motorcycle. 2nd Pic shows the proper way to route the safety wire through the worm clamp.
Unknown.jpg
Clampthreaded.png
Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
like many others have stated, knowing that there have been so many loosened, and at least one engine lost, I cant believe more wasn't done from the get go.

So many ways to make this happen, especially on a filter that lists at 32 dollars.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
So many ways to make this happen, especially on a filter that lists at 32 dollars.
We need to raise our price on this filter. :eyebulge:

The filter Can is beefy enough to handle the hose clamp, my only suggestion would be to keep it near the edge of the flats for strength(i.e. not in the center) A hose clamp with a inner liner band would be better so the clamp section does not deform the can. Any dents or dings can result in a rupture point. Common sense needs to be applied.

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
gt350 Facebook page and this site alone has multiple folks with the same issue. I also wonder if the o-ring issue inst from fear based over torquing.

Do folks still put a bit of oil on the o-ring before installing the new filter?

OP
OP
ITLRUN

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
gt350 Facebook page and this site alone has multiple folks with the same issue. I also wonder if the o-ring issue inst from fear based over torquing.

Do folks still put a bit of oil on the o-ring before installing the new filter?
You should always lube the o-ring, especially as tight as these filter get installed. I will tell you it does not feel natural installing the filter that tight.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Why is it backing off? I've literally done thousands of oil changes as a mechanic and have never seen this. Sounds like it's just not torq'd or lubed properly from the factory.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I wonder if KN has an oil filter for our car, those come predrilled for safety wire and have a nut as well for easy removal.
Yep, i like the K&N filters alot. My guess is none for our engine. They may not even want to make one for it. Lol

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
You should always lube the o-ring, especially as tight as these filter get installed. I will tell you it does not feel natural installing the filter that tight.
Don't know what you mean, three whole threads with 18ft/lbs is completely natural LOL.
Shelby  Oil Filter.jpg

OP
OP
ITLRUN

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
Why is it backing off? I've literally done thousands of oil changes as a mechanic and have never seen this. Sounds like it's just not torq'd or lubed properly from the factory.

Are you the same guy that thinks hand tight plus 1/2 turn is adequate for the 5.2L Ford? :shrug: