Sponsored

Charging System Service Now light came on

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
So just had a spirited drive and after getting some gas for the 30 mile ride back I get a warning on the dash in red saying "Charging System Service Now". Then it told me "turning off low battery functions". Pulled in the garage, shut it down. Tried to start it back up and it would not start - as if battery is dead.

Did my battery just give out?

10,241 miles - driving flawless so far. Only thing I had to do was replace a thermostat as many have a few months back.

Definitely taking it in to the dealer. Should I charge the battery? Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogue

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone posted this in relation to an F150 with same warning.

make sure battery clamps are clean and tight
b. test the condition of the battery
c.inspect external alternator wirings and connections
d. check drivebelt tension and inspect condition of drivebelt
e. make sure the alternator mounting bolts are tight
f. run the engine and verify the alternator isnt making any abnormal noises
g. check the fusible links in the charging system. if burned, dtermine causes and repair the circuits
h. check the charge light on the dash. it should illuminate when the key is turned "ON" (engine not running). if it does not, check the circuit from the alternator to the charge light on the dash

2. with the ignition key off, check the battery voltage with no accessories operating. it should be about 12.5 volts. (maybe higher if engine has operated within the last hour)
3. start the engine and check battery voltage again. it should now be greater than voltage in step 2, but not more than 15 volts. turn on all vehicle accessories (AC, defogger, blower motor, etc...) and increase engine speed to 2000RPM - the voltage should not drop below step 2.
4. if the voltage is greater than specified, replace the alternator
5.if the voltage is less than specified, the alternator may be defective. have the dealer, or other reputible shop, check the charging system.

OP
OP
Rogue

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gave it about 40 min to cool down, started it up this time though it had a flicker with the lights like a low batt and then service warning light came back.

Think it would be safe to coast it the dealer about 14 miles away? Would like to avoid a flatbed if at all possible.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Gave it about 40 min to cool down, started it up this time though it had a flicker with the lights like a low batt and then service warning light came back.

Think it would be safe to coast it the dealer about 14 miles away? Would like to avoid a flatbed if at all possible.
I wouldn't risk it. It would be dangerous if your car dies on the freeway, and airbags may not deploy if you get into trouble.

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I'm willing to bet this is an alternator issue. If you have a dead battery the car should still run off the alternator if it's running, no? If it were me and I wanted to avoid the flatbed I'd charge the battery fully and see if you can start it and drive on over. You would get the warning again on the freeway and pull over immediately.

Side note: I just had my second battery replaced at 1800 miles this week

Sponsored

CobraO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback
definitely charge it all the way up before you leave. Should make it if the alternator isn't completely fried.

Keep everything you can shut off during the ride. Everything will be using only the battery, including the fuel pump and injectors. Be careful!

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
If the alternator is bad I highly doubt the car will make it 14 miles. Call ford and have the take it on a flatbed. Thats what the warranty is for.

OP
OP
Rogue

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup agreed - going the flatbed route - play it safe.

Good thing i'm in the office all this weekend - no loss in the driver's seat.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
in older cars, to test if alternator was charging, you'd have car running and disconnect the battery. if it died, the system was not charging. I've read this might not be a good way to test these newer cars. Anyone KNOW if it is OK to disconnect the battery while the mustang is running. Meaning, will it cause harm? Guesses aside, anyone know?

I had this warning come on after I had it parked a few days in an open field storage lot. I drove it around with warning for 6weeks or so trying to figure out what it was. Long story short, in my case a field mouse had knawed one wire that was under alternator. It charged fine all this time. Might have been some monitoring circuit, but just caused the light to come on. I reconnected th wire and warning went away. All was good. I was SURE glad I had NOT taken in to dealer assuming it was a warranty issue. God knows how many hours labor I'd have been billed to find that problem?

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yup agreed - going the flatbed route - play it safe.

Good thing i'm in the office all this weekend - no loss in the driver's seat.
Definitely get it towed in, Rogue. Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in the service manager for your area.

Deysha

Darth Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tri Yellow GT350
My bet is the battery went bad. The batteries in the Boss 302 were notorious for going bad pretty fast.

OP
OP
Rogue

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely get it towed in, Rogue. Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in the service manager for your area.

Deysha
Very considerate of you Deysha - my service advisor is on my FB so I just updated him the status. Thank you.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Very considerate of you Deysha - my service advisor is on my FB so I just updated him the status. Thank you.
Oh, you have VIP status!? OK, I see you, Rogue. JK! You’re welcome. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha

Secondtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350dib tech
Sorry to jump on another list item but deysha any love for the tech owners that have cooling problems ? Hopefully ford is lurking on the long cooler saga chain? Once again sorry to jump into other people's problems where ford is trying to help.Aperently going into limp mode is not a concern .
Sponsored