Charging system problem.

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Yes, if I let it go beyond the "Sleep Mode" notification, it will go to a "No start confition". I try not to let this happen, but the first time it did, the dealership replaced the battery (under warranty). It has happened a couple times since the battery was sulfates. I prefer to have my vehicles available when I want todrive them, especially with they are on a charger.
So it does not start?
Sponsored

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
So it does not start?
If I let it go for about a week after I get the "shutdown" message, even if plugged in to a trickle charger, it will not start without a jump box.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Exactly where do you have the battery tender pigtail hooked up? Is it hooked to the fusebox or directly to the battery? To me it sounds like once it goes into deep sleep mode, the BMS is cutting off the tender allowing the battery to go to a low state of charge.

BTW I have a small 1.25A tender that I used on my 17 vert for 6.5 years and never had an issue. I actually traded it in with the original battery.

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
Exactly where do you have the battery tender pigtail hooked up? Is it hooked to the fusebox or directly to the battery? To me it sounds like once it goes into deep sleep mode, the BMS is cutting off the tender allowing the battery to go to a low state of charge.
Negative (ground) is connected to factory ground on the Passenger strut tower. Positive is connected to the fuse box terminal where the battery cable ties in (electrically, the same point as the positive terminal).

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
That's how most hook them up and have no issues. I went direct to the battery so the BMS can do whatever it wants but the tender will always charge the battery.
20230617_101725.jpg

Try moving the neg connection directly to the battery, If it won't reach, take apart the post where you have the neg hooked up now and make sure there is no paint on the threads, ford is good at not chasing out ground lead connections and leaving paint in there.

Sponsored

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
That's how most hook them up and have no issues. I went direct to the battery so the BMS can do whatever it wants but the tender will always charge the battery.
20230617_101725.jpg
I thought about connecting it as you did, but I wanted the ability to do a disconnect without popping the hood. My method put the quick disconnect right above the headlight, and I could disconnect and tuck the inch of connector up under the hood. I could also pull it out and plug it back in without opening the hood.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I get it, but try it just to see if it solves your problem. If it works you can always buy a longer pigtail or make on from an extension cord that fits your particular charger. I have an actual battery tender brand and amazon sells extension cords that plug into the pigtail. Get one long enough and cut off one end and crimp on some ring terminals.

Last edited:
OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
I get it, but try it just to see if it solves your problem. If it works you can always buy a longer pigtail or make on from an extension cord that fits your particular charger.
Understood, and will try this as soon as I get back on my feet (bruised some ribs the other day).

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
20230617_101725.jpg

Try moving the neg connection directly to the battery, If it won't reach, take apart the post where you have the neg hooked up now and make sure there is no paint on the threads, ford is good at not chasing out ground lead connections and leaving paint in there.
I know others have said connecting to places other than directly to the battery worked for them but I'd personally never connect a tender anywhere except the battery terminals themselves.
If cable length is the only concern I know that Amazon sells 25' cables.
I'm willing to bet that would solve the OPs problem.

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
I know others have said connecting to places other than directly to the battery worked for them but I'd personally never connect a tender anywhere except the battery terminals themselves.
If cable length is the only concern I know that Amazon sells 25' cables.
I'm willing to bet that would solve the OPs problem.
Would take you up on that wager, but it's liable to be the better part of Feb. before I can even go out to look at it.
Sponsored