Sponsored

Catch can

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
So I'm about to pull the trigger on the ford racing catch can. Anyone have any negatives about this one? Or should I pay 10 more for missimotto? Lastly is there a better one you guys recommend? :cheers::ford:
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
So I'm about to pull the trigger on the ford racing catch can. Anyone have any negatives about this one? Or should I pay 10 more for missimotto? Lastly is there a better one you guys recommend? :cheers::ford:
I've got Bob's basic one (didn't pay extra for the fancy hoses) and it works great. The install bracket is a tad too long and it takes a little time to measure out the hoses before you cut and clamp, but anybody who can't do that probably shouldn't be opening their hood in the first place. Within 800 miles of mostly daily-driving and some open-road terror on the weekends it had already collected a decent amount of oil and it's super-easy to drain using the valve at the bottom, just put a clear plastic cup underneath it.

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
When I was looking and asking questions about catch cans, the guys on here for a while got snippy pretty quick. Dragging feet and complaining lik my teenage kids, not another coach can question....

I went with Bob's catch can win ugraded hoses. Connected up no problems. I just had my first il change where I drains the coach can. It did catch oil. I have pics of the amount. Everything was in-line with what I have seen here.

I like Bob's because it's American Made and owned company. That's my only negative for others is American made and owned companies. I have not heard any bad press for the Ford's. That we're pretty late to the game...

OP
OP
16s550

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm sounds pretty good. Do you have a link? IM sure I can cut to fit but I kinda want plug and play. Dam my car has 12k miles now. Wish I did this sooner.

OP
OP
16s550

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know some get snippy but for some.some reason search dosnt work on my phone.

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Hmm sounds pretty good. Do you have a link? IM sure I can cut to fit but I kinda want plug and play. Dam my car has 12k miles now. Wish I did this sooner.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42393 Here's a thread going over the Ford one. If you're looking for plug n' play then the Ford or I believe the JLT would be your 2 best bets. Somebody mentioned a little trouble fitting the FRPP one with an aftermarket coolant tank if you have one. From all I've read most of them seem to do a good job of taking the oil out of the PCV line. The major differences are how they're emptied and how they're attached (which is part of the bling factor of having nice hoses/painted catch can etc).

OP
OP
16s550

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42393 Here's a thread going over the Ford one. If you're looking for plug n' play then the Ford or I believe the JLT would be your 2 best bets. Somebody mentioned a little trouble fitting the FRPP one with an aftermarket coolant tank if you have one. From all I've read most of them seem to do a good job of taking the oil out of the PCV line. The major differences are how they're emptied and how they're attached (which is part of the bling factor of having nice hoses/painted catch can etc).

Thank you sir! Think I'm going to give the Ford racing a try and see how that goes. Later upgrade to the upr braided hoses and filter.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I only read a few comments about the Ford Racing catch can, but from what I did see, the comments were pretty good. I have the one from JLT and it works great. I also heard guys talk about the Bob's catch can with positive results and are happy with it..

shockme66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Annv. Magnetic
I have a JLT also and just emptied it today. Can't believe how much oil it catches.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I got the Ford Racing one. It actually has a bit of design and engineering put in to it. Install took me five minutes.

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
The UPR catch can is a great option. We are the only ones who include a check valve which will actual seal under WOT and our defusser design will catch more oil, fuel and any contaminates. We use OEM style quick connect fittings which will ensure a quick and easy install.

We offer a basic option which will mount behind the overflow tank as well as our Single valve which mounts next to the radiator. With my personal car, I picked up almost 4ounces in 2500 miles. That will overflow any other can out there.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
UPR > all.

Ford is plastic btw...

I'd like to see a test of the Ford Performance unit vs the competition.

The Ford Performance unit has a very large and dense filter screen.
I'd bet it outperforms most if not all on the market.

The molded plastic will stay cooler vs heat soaked metal....which in theory will only help it condense more oil vapor.

Don't be scared of the plastic construction. Its an oil catch can....PS: You're intake manifold is made of the same plastic. A plastic catch can is more then tough enough to handle the "extreme" conditions its subjected to. haha.

https://lmr.com/item/M6766A50/ford-performance-mustang-oil-air-separator-11-16

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I'd like to see a test of the Ford Performance unit vs the competition.

The Ford Performance unit has a very large and dense filter screen.
I'd bet it outperforms most if not all on the market.

The molded plastic will stay cooler vs heat soaked metal....which in theory will only help it condense more oil vapor.

Don't be scared of the plastic construction. Its an oil catch can....PS: You're intake manifold is made of the same plastic. A plastic catch can is more then tough enough to handle the "extreme" conditions its subjected to. haha.

https://lmr.com/item/M6766A50/ford-performance-mustang-oil-air-separator-11-16
Actually. The location of it will get just as hot either way. Drive your car 25miles in 90degree temps or sitting in traffic then try to grab it. It will still burn your hand. This is also why we put our Single valve can 5030-98 next to the radiator with a longer line which will provide cooler air over one sitting next ot the engine. Now ford did a great design but the filter is a paper wooven SS screen kinda like a air filter. Over time, it will soak and allow oil through. Think of it as a soaked towel. The key is keeping the clean side dry. The factory PCV is not enough to eliminate the amount of oil, fuel or contaminates from getting through as well. This is why we add a inline check valve. Like our cans, we use a chambered design which will hold everything back. Our single valve also has a higher capacity then any system out there.

I'm in the middle of uploading the 4ounces my personal car picked up after 2500miles. Did this about 3 weeks ago. No racing and just street driving.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
UPRSteve - quick question. I have your Procharger catch can and getting ready to drain for the first time. Is there ever a need (if yes how many miles ) to take apart a do a complete clean out or change/clean the filter?
Sponsored