Sponsored

Catch Can Contents

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Just an FYI on my results of oil collection in the catch can. During normal use, there's maybe a table spoon of oil after about 1k miles. However, recently, with about 1k miles already on it since last emptying and a bunch of WOT on a 90F day with a passenger (maybe 30~45 minutes of sustained hard driving), catch can empied with about 4x that amount. I'd say there was about 1/4 cup.

Now I"m running the factory fill of Motorcraft 5W-30 semi-syn as I have not reached the first change interval yet. I would expect less oil with a lower NOAC scored oil such as Amsoil Sig or something similar. Additionally an oil cooler would also help. But that catch can sure puts some perspective on the amount of oil that actually gets pushed into the intake via the PCV system even with the factory oil separator, well worth it investment, especially for long term in keeping the intake valves and injectors clean, which is the biggest danger in DI and TDI engines alike.
Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen similar results with regards to the amount of oil caught increasing over time. After my first 1k miles I checked and there was so little in the can that I had to tilt it to see enough liquid to actually pool (in the corner of the can). I just checked it last night at approx. 2.5k and it's almost an order of magnitude more (although still not a lot). I'm going to keep checking it, but I won't empty it until I change my oil (it's probably only about 2-3% full).

edit: if I had to guess I'd say I have probably around a tablespoon of oil in mine after 2.5k.

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Subd. Thinking about getting one my self.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I usually check mine every 2,500 miles or so. I usually have about 3-4 ounces within that mileage. However, mine PCV is also gutted, so that in itself might make a difference.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
On my original 2014 build date oil separator/pcv that was gutted with a dvcc I'd drain 3-4 oz in a week. Since installing the updated oil separator/pcv and leaving the pcv ungutted I drain it once a month and will get a tablespoon of oil.

Sponsored

Buhbuhj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
I've gotten as much as an ounce in 500 miles but for what it's worth since I switched to Amsoil Sig I barely get any.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I've gotten as much as an ounce in 500 miles but for what it's worth since I switched to Amsoil Sig I barely get any.
That's what I was thinking. A higher quality oil, such as AMSOIL Signature 5W-30, would produce much lower rates of vaporization than your standard run of the mill motor craft semi-synthetic. While the motor craft isn't bad oil, it's certainly not a top tier oil either.

The NOAC score on the AMSOIL is very good, I think it was 6ish, being in the top 3. But what I liked about the AMSOIL Sig is that it is in the top 3 in EVERY category, not just 2 or 3 of the five. Which makes it well suited for use in a high performance daily driver which sees a broad range of conditions, from hot summer temps of 90F+ to freezing cold winter cold starts at -20F to WOT runs on entrance ramps / back roads, occasional strip etc.

Also your cost of oil should be a wash as the standard oils require frequent topping off. I have about 5k miles now, I've had a pretty good mix of cruising, intermediate and hard sustained or frequent WOT / near WOT use. So far with the factory fill I've lost maybe 1/5th of a quart, oil was dead even with the top of the hatching, but was over filled from the factory (above the full marker hole at the top of the hatching). Most of that was in the catch can which I have emptied 3 times now (although it was only a small amount each time).

I have the factory PCV and oil separator, but being a 2016 it has the "high flow" separator. I'm running the dual valve catch can.
Sponsored