Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
On my Garage Queen, I've used Sonax Extreme Tire Gel for a number of years and always been delighted with the results. I'm a sucker for a shiny tire!

However, I keep hearing great things about Car Pro Perl, so I bought a bottle and tried it for the first time today. I know it says to slightly dilute it but, as I like 'em shiny, I used it neat. I have to say, I was somewhat disappointed in the finish.

So, next time I'll likely dilute it, but what do you guys do to get the best results?

Thank you :)

Carpro Perl.jpg
Sponsored

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I use perl diluted for underood and all my interior. I use Mcquires Endurance on my tires. Apply liberally, one hour later wipe off excess. These tires were done about a month ago. Carpro has great products. Their wheel cleaner Tyre is the only tjing that is horrible in my opinion.

Richard

20220422_073607.jpg

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
On my Garage Queen, I've used Sonax Extreme Tire Gel for a number of years and always been delighted with the results. I'm a sucker for a shiny tire!

However, I keep hearing great things about Car Pro Perl, so I bought a bottle and tried it for the first time today. I know it says to slightly dilute it but, as I like 'em shiny, I used it neat. I have to say, I was somewhat disappointed in the finish.

So, next time I'll likely dilute it, but what do you guys do to get the best results?

Thank you :)

Carpro Perl.jpg
Being water based, CarPro Perl will give less glossy results than solvent based dressings, it will be at it's most shiny undiluted.

Personally, I like a satin to slightly glossy appearance, as such I use Perl straight from the bottle undiluted. (Fit a pop-top to the bottle for easier application.)

feb2127.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG-0741.jpg

I will also say that some tires give different results to the same product. For example, the factory Pirelli's always shined more than the Michelin PS4S's I replaced them with.

Here are a couple of application tips with regards to adding more gloss to Perl -

-Don't dilute Perl

-Make sure to clean/scrub the tires before application with an appropriate tire cleaner or strong APC. This allows the product to adhere better and improve clarity.

-Use a foam applicator over a brush, these tend to allow for a more generous application.

-Apply more generously or follow up with a second coat.

If this still isn't to your liking, at least Perl can be used elsewhere around the car. In this case, diluting Perl is advised for a better application to interior plastics, exterior unpainted plastics, engine bay dressing and wheel arch liner dressing.

Another product that might be up your alley for more gloss would be Gyeon Q2 Tire.

x333333333.jpg

x333333.jpg

ax4.jpg

Q2 Tire can be ramped up or down depending on application. Apply more for glossier appearance (second pic), apply less and knock it back after 15 minutes for a more satin look (third pic). Being solvent based, this product will give the gloss but does tend to sling onto the bodywork.

Hope that helps.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
i like this.. it works great on any rubber/vinyl

1650630215288.png

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thank you for the very comprehensive reply!

I'll give it a second coat and see how I feel then. Again, many thanks for your reply :)

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thank you for the very comprehensive reply!

I'll give it a second coat and see how I feel then. Again, many thanks for your reply :)
+1 on Gyeon Q2 Tire. I’ve tried it all of the ways DB mentioned and prefer it straight up. Note that your tire needs to be really clean. Great shine and lasts for quite some time.
https://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-tire.html

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Perl after it’s wiped doesn’t produce much bling on a single application. Agree with DFB on prepping the tire prior to using any tire product. G2 will give you the wet look - Perl works great on trim with a foam applicator as well - good luck!

*Don’t forget to give Perl a good shake prior to use

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thank you..... Gyeon Q2 will be next on my try-out list :)
I stopped using solvent based tire dressings a while ago. While they last longer and have some gloss, the drawbacks for me outweigh the positive. The way the hang onto dirt makes the tire looks dirtier and they require more work to strip away from the tire when needed. The final straw was staining a very expensive pair of jeans after brushing past a tire one morning.

The appearance of Q2 Tire was certainly appealing though.

f.jpg

h.jpg

x333333.jpg

I would normally knock it back, even so I still had a lot of trouble with sling.

I went onto using NV Onyx, which is absolutely brilliant. Just enough shine for me but without the sling.

g32.jpg

oct2722.jpg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I stopped using solvent based tire dressings a while ago. While they last longer and have some gloss, the drawbacks for me outweigh the positive. The way the hang onto dirt makes the tire looks dirtier and they require more work to strip away from the tire when needed. The final straw was staining a very expensive pair of jeans after brushing past a tire one morning.

The appearance of Q2 Tire was certainly appealing though.

f.jpg

h.jpg

x333333.jpg

I would normally knock it back, even so I still had a lot of trouble with sling.

I went onto using NV Onyx, which is absolutely brilliant. Just enough shine for me but without the sling.

g32.jpg

oct2722.jpg
There are two ways to deal with sling using Q2 Tire. You can wait around 15 minutes then wipe it down with a rag or you can hit it with a heat gun. Either way virtually eliminate sling.

Sponsored

t-zoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1
I like Griot’s Black Shine. Easy to apply and lasts a while.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Paul: Good luck with the Gyeon product. I use Perl 50/50 on tires and like Deyon, I'm a "satin look" kinda guy. I let it sit for about twenty minutes and then wipe off ALL the excess (to protect my clothes and the car cover,) until the tire is dry to the touch with no transfer to your finger. The result isn't glossy which I personally dislike. But it lasts through at least one wash and obviously no sling.

1650794010236.png

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Wanna lend me the Perl, I've been meaning to try it! :crackup: You can try mine in exchange.

As you know I use a few of the yumcars products and my current tire dressing is "Yum Dress". I generally find the gel type products heavy and a very greasy but this one is not bad for that. Deffo a case of less is more. I like to apply thoroughly but as light as possible, then knock the finish down gently with a microfibre. I'd say the finish is glossy by the time I'm done, and it does last well. If you leave it freshly applied and are generous, it almost gets to a point of having a reflection it's that glossy! not for me, but I know some will like that.

Prep is key. I always give the tires a good scrubbing to remove dirt and the previous dressing. Also, a puck type foam applicator works really well (I've tried a few).

tires1.jpg
tires2.jpg

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Paul: Good luck with the Gyeon product. I use Perl 50/50 on tires and like Deyon, I'm a "satin look" kinda guy. I let it sit for about twenty minutes and then wipe off ALL the excess (to protect my clothes and the car cover,) until the tire is dry to the touch with no transfer to your finger. The result isn't glossy which I personally dislike. But it lasts through at least one wash and obviously no sling.

1650794010236.png
WHAT!! You didn't de-nib the tires!?

IMG_9604.jpg

:cwl:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT