Sponsored

Car Alarm Alerts

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Anyone done this yet? Im about to do a Viper system setup where they dont interfere with the keyless entry. No lock/disable/siren function will be installed. Going to install the SmartStart to get alerts on my phone when the car doors have been opened, or something hits the car.

This way I dont have to keep an eye on the car, and I dont have to carry an extra remote/pager, and itll be armed/disarmed through the phone app.
Sponsored

rahtid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I'm surprised this is the only thread about alarms and its empty! Has anyone installed an alarm on their car and which one? I should be receiving my R soon and thinking what kind of alarm I should use. Would a kill switch be good enough or go with the Viper as mentioned above?

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I fear that aftermarket alarms interfere with too many manufacture functions.

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #HR262 / 2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
I used to install car audio/video/security for years. When properly installed, it works seamlessly with the existing functions. However, odd things happen. A real good installer is hard to find.

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
A couple of authorized Viper system dealers said there was no wiring diagram available for the car yet, while other shops said it was no problem. Didnt like that discrepancy, and holding off until I get solid info.

Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I upgraded my Raptor to the smartstart with GPS and text alerts, and it's great! If my alarm goes off, I get a text no matter where I'm at. I can then open my alarm app and see if anything is tripped, like my hood sensor or door open sensor. I can also lock my truck at any time (or check to see that the car is locked), start it from anywhere (would probably be better for those in a cold climate lol). The only downside is that the alarm with the cell service alerts was kind of expensive.. but I wanted to know if anyone triggered my alarm at all times no matter how far I am from it.

My Raptor came with a premium Ford alarm, and it's integrated somewhat well.. the only issue I have is that when I use the alarm keypad to shut off the alarm/open the locks, sometimes it will not diable the factory alarm and my horn will start going off when I open the door. I have overcome this by just using my ford keypad to unlock the door, which is also wired up to shut off my Viper alarm. This should integrate well with the keyless entry on the Mustang... as it will be using the ford lock/unlock command, so you shouldn't have that problem.

The only other downside is that if you don't drive your car very often, the cell service it always on and it can drain your battery after a few weeks. When I know I'm not going to be driving my truck for a while (travel, vacation, whatever) I throw it on a trickle charger.

There was a thread in here where someone had their car backed into and the person took off, if you had this alarm you would know right away that your car had been hit and you could get there quick.

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple of authorized Viper system dealers said there was no wiring diagram available for the car yet, while other shops said it was no problem. Didnt like that discrepancy, and holding off until I get solid info.
That's straight crap. If they are an authorized dealer, they have the ability to call DEI (manufacturer of Viper among others) to get live walk-thrus with one of their techs.

Find another dealer.

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I upgraded my Raptor to the smartstart with GPS and text alerts, and it's great! If my alarm goes off, I get a text no matter where I'm at. I can then open my alarm app and see if anything is tripped, like my hood sensor or door open sensor. I can also lock my truck at any time (or check to see that the car is locked), start it from anywhere (would probably be better for those in a cold climate lol). The only downside is that the alarm with the cell service alerts was kind of expensive.. but I wanted to know if anyone triggered my alarm at all times no matter how far I am from it.

My Raptor came with a premium Ford alarm, and it's integrated somewhat well.. the only issue I have is that when I use the alarm keypad to shut off the alarm/open the locks, sometimes it will not diable the factory alarm and my horn will start going off when I open the door. I have overcome this by just using my ford keypad to unlock the door, which is also wired up to shut off my Viper alarm. This should integrate well with the keyless entry on the Mustang... as it will be using the ford lock/unlock command, so you shouldn't have that problem.

The only other downside is that if you don't drive your car very often, the cell service it always on and it can drain your battery after a few weeks. When I know I'm not going to be driving my truck for a while (travel, vacation, whatever) I throw it on a trickle charger.

There was a thread in here where someone had their car backed into and the person took off, if you had this alarm you would know right away that your car had been hit and you could get there quick.
Thanks for your input

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
That's straight crap. If they are an authorized dealer, they have the ability to call DEI (manufacturer of Viper among others) to get live walk-thrus with one of their techs.

Find another dealer.
The ones who called Viper about the diagrams, were also the ones who found out the way I wanted to set up the system wasnt something they wanted to be involved in, with the "eyes and ears" of the system intact.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a GPS tracking system that doesn't charge a subscription?

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a GPS tracking system that doesn't charge a subscription?
I believe Garmin is subscription free. However, you must download updates annually (for a fee). I had an in-dash Kenwood deck with Garmin GPS. Worked quite well.
Sponsored