Sponsored

Can I Adjust MPG on 18+ Digital Dash? (old way doesn't work)

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Does this apply to the 18-19 full digital cluster?
Mine is the digital cluster. The instructions that 7thStreetJim posted worked like a champ.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Well get to it!!!
& post a link when done!
:thumbsup:
<---- Mine's a 2015 ... so same as the non-digital dash on the 2018+. Plenty of YouTube videos show how to get into Engineering Mode on that style of dash.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33561

I'm interested in what value you end up with. Mine is set to 952 right now but I will not move it again until I have at least a 5 tank average. My mpg varied from 0.7 mpg high to 1.7 mpg high but the average was about 1.5 high. My first tank after adjusting it was 0.7 mpg low.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I'm interested in what value you end up with. Mine is set to 952 right now but I will not move it again until I have at least a 5 tank average. My mpg varied from 0.7 mpg high to 1.7 mpg high but the average was about 1.5 high. My first tank after adjusting it was 0.7 mpg low.
My initial adjustment is 946 based on the results of my last 10-12 tanks where I tracked the delta. Like you, I don’t plan to tweak that setting until I see a trend from a few more tanks. If it was easier to tweak, I would probably adjust slightly at each tank like I did with the Scan Gauge, but that took like 15 seconds tops.

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
My initial adjustment is 946 based on the results of my last 10-12 tanks where I tracked the delta. Like you, I don’t plan to tweak that setting until I see a trend from a few more tanks. If it was easier to tweak, I would probably adjust slightly at each tank like I did with the Scan Gauge, but that took like 15 seconds tops.
First tank with the revised setting resulted in a calculated mileage of 21.4mpg, actual 21.7mpg, delta 1.52% low now. I'll probably adjust again in another 5-ish tanks if the delta stays pretty consistent. So far, the only real problem is seeing that the estimated mileage is lower all the time, not just when I run the numbers...

Deleted member 33561

My last 2 tanks were within 0.2mpg so I made one last tweek to 0921 and that's where it will stay.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
LOL, I can't stand to even look at my MPG, my EB can't even manage half what my last car got. I used to be disappointed with any tank under 42 and good tanks were 50+, I don't want to know if my car is reading too high at 23.

OP
OP
Stangnut

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
The difference from my calculated mpg is all over the place.
-1.46 mpg
-1.48 mpg
-0.88 mpg
-1.85 mpg
-1.33 mpg
-1.10 mpg

Gonna check a few more tanks before adjusting.

Last edited:

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
The difference from my calculated mpg is all over the place.

Gonna check a few more tanks before adjusting.

I adjusted mine a bit ago. Last five tanks have all bee. Within 2% I'll take that

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
-0.87%
-0.47%
-1.48%
-1.14%
+0.43%

I'm pretty happy with ~1% error, but may tweak it one last time. For such a simple mod, I get a lot of joy out of this every time I fill up. Maybe I need a bit more excitement in my life...

Deleted member 33561

If you have the data from 5 or 6 tanks you could just average them and make one adjustment. It's never going to be perfect anyway.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
If you have the data from 5 or 6 tanks you could just average them and make one adjustment. It's never going to be perfect anyway.
Yeah, that's pretty much my plan. I need to get a few more tanks to see where the trend is when the delta is this small. Today's tank was -2.46%, the widest since I changed the variable.

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Prem Calif Special, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
is adjusting the gas mileage the only thing you can do in engineering mode or can you do other things?

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Just curious here as to the method you all are using to calculate your actual fuel mileage you use to change your engineering mode readout. If you are first confirming your speedo/odometer is actually giving you an accurate mileage figure using a GPS device/app or using a known distance to verify actual odometer/speed indication on cars instrument cluster.

The reason I ask is I used to work for Harley at a R&D test facility here in Alabama as a durability mechanic from 98 to 09 and we did tests of speedo/odometer validation on the bikes. The govt allows for a +/- percentage error of 8% from actual speedo indication at least back then, not sure if that's still a valid percentage today.

But if it is then at 60 mph your speedo/odometer indication could be off by 4.8MPH in a +/_ direction which of course will affect your mileage calculations.

At Harley we found that the error on our speedos was pretty consistent at an average of 2 to 3 MPH below actual speed indication on speedo. Most manufactures will err on the low side of the indicated speed readout so as to avoid possibility of customers receiving tickets for going over posted speed limits.

So, before you assume your speed/odometer readout is truly accurate I would use a GPS/APP to confirm your speedo/odometer is reading is accurate in order to perform calculating accurate mileage numbers. I would not really trust mileage market signs on interstates to be truly accurate.

Just an FYI.

BD
Sponsored