Sponsored

Camaro 50th Anniversary

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Saw on another site the "Let's Rally" call for enthusiasts to gather to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Camaro model name. (Not the model itself, as it has not been in production 50 consecutive years.). The event is going to include a look back at various Camaro milestones along the way, but I thought we could get a few of them out in advance, as you may not see them mentioned in August:

1964-GM poops it's collective pants when the Mustang is introduced. After-hours pizza-parties ensue and Chevy scrambles to get a car developed for the segment.

1966-After years of design and engineering work, GM introduces it's copy-cat ponycar and gives it a name that nobody understands.

1998-LS1 is introduced in the Camaro and the performance gap between the two pony cars is substantial. Unfortunately, very few people actually buy the cars citing prices that are too high as compared to it's competitors.

2002-Camaro is dropped from production despite few cars being sold to rental fleets and having a higher profit margin per car than the Mustang.

2009-Camaro is reintroduced as a production model. People still don't understand what the hell "Camaro" is supposed to mean. Rumors go around that the eight year production gap was all a part of a master plan by GM.

I'm sure there are many that I have missed, but perhaps others can add to the list!
Sponsored

Last edited:

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Saw on another site the "Let's Rally" call for enthusiasts to gather to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Camaro model name. (Not the model itself, as it has not been in production 50 consecutive years.). The event is going to include a look back at various Camaro milestones along the way, but I thought we could get a few of them out in advance, as you may not see them mentioned in August:

1964-GM poops it's collective pants when the Mustang is introduced. After-hours pizza-parties ensue and Chevy scrambles to get a car developed for the segment.

1966-After years of design and engineering work, GM introduces it's copy-cat ponycar and gives it a name that nobody understands.

1998-LS1 is introduced in the Camaro and the performance gap between the two pony cars is substantial. Unfortunately, very few people actually buy the cars citing prices that are to high as compared to it's competitors.

2002-Camaro is dropped from production despite few cars being sold to rental fleets and having a higher profit margin per car than the Mustang.

2009-Camaro is reintroduced as a production model. People still don't understand what the hell "Camaro" is supposed to mean. Rumors go around that the eight year production gap was all a part of a master plan by GM.

I'm sure there are many that I have missed, but perhaps others can add to the list!
Or spell. Look how many Cameros are for sale on Craigslist right now.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550

1998-LS1 is introduced in the Camaro and the performance gap between the two pony cars is substantial. Unfortunately, very few people actually buy the cars citing prices that are too high as compared to it's competitors.

You forgot the '68-'69 Championship, which would be the basis for the road racing heritage....

A better celebration would be, almost 50 years between Camaro stock championships.

I've never seen a car tout a Motorsport metric so much and win so little as I have with the Camaro.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Some Mustang guys don't understand our Kansas Mustang jokes. Where in Kansas are you from?

I saw your car on Mod Motor Mustang creating some 4th Gen butthurt.

Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
The 50th Anniversary of the Camaro will be the 16th anniversary of me buying a 67 Camaro and not actually getting it on the road..or even having a drivetrain installed..or paint..or interior..

It does have new body panels though! Only took 12 years to get that far.

All of this is just speculation since I have until august of this year for it to hit 50 years old, being as that it was #3300-ish off the line in August of 66. It may very well be finished by August.

Not.. :(
Sponsored