C8 ZR1

Jasonb543

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Wonder if it will be able to beat a GT500 with a 3.8L whipple on 93 and some beadlocks on the street. If not, not interested.
Should be able to NP, esp from a dig… now a 60 roll on the freeway would probably go to the 500.

Edit…..dafuq?? 3.8 whipple on 93… no chance either way.
Get some ID1700s and E in there.
Sponsored

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Should be able to NP, esp from a dig… now a 60 roll on the freeway would probably go to the 500.

Edit…..dafuq?? 3.8 whipple on 93… no chance either way.
Get some ID1700s and E in there.
Yeah 93.

The GT500 KR is a Whipple 3.8L on 93 and I think its quoted at900 to the wheels. Shelby warranties it too if I'm not mistaken. I'm seeing quite a few on the net with about that much power on 93. Whipple actually says the 3.8L is safe for 1035 crank, 875 to the wheels on 93 their site.

On E I don't think it would be much of a comparison. E and a whipple is doing over 1k to the wheels

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Wonder if it will be able to beat a GT500 with a 3.8L whipple on 93 and some beadlocks on the street. If not, not interested.

I wanted a c8 before the z06 was released. After seeing what the z06 cost fully loaded, and the amount of power they came with, just didn't seem worth it.

Assuming this thing costs over 130K ish for a no option model if it doesn't come from the factory with at least 825, its a bust to me.
Big mistake to decide a C8 Z06 performance by its hp rating. I realize you’ll not believe it until you see the 20 minute YouTube video explaining in technical detail how the Z06 achieves it’s capability to beat the 2019 ZR1 w/750 hp.
By the way, how about the forthcoming Mustang GTD at the same hp as the forthcoming ZR1 at TWICE THE PRICE OF THE ZR1.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I’ve got a reservation scheduled in Vegas later this month for 20 laps each GT500 and Z06 back to back . I’m really looking forward to hammering them both with a very open mind.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I would say even the Ecoboost mustang maximum performance is out of most people's ability to make the car actually work let alone the Mach 1 and Shelby's.
I mean like you new to be a seasoned track driver to push a Z06. The faster a car is, the more skilled one needs to be to properly extract its performance, other than in a straight line. It would not take that long to get comfortable with an Ecoboost stang near it's limits.

Performance….How much do you need? How much do you want? How much can you use? How much do you actually use. Answer these questions honestly and most people would be driving Prius’ 🤭
Eh, I mean I get what you're saying, and there is some truth to it, but hopefully you see what I mean as well. There is a line, right? Where exactly that line should be drawn for a reasonable consumer, no one can say, but we all have our opinions.

I guess it's still not as nuts as the fact that full-sized, multi-row, grocery-getter electric SUVs are already becoming obscenely fast.

Sponsored

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
My problem with it is the Corvette was always attainable by the common man. The new Z06 (To a lesser extent), and now ZR-1, are hitting supercar prices. They are no longer Corvettes, which was my argument against a mid engine Corvette in the first place.

Sure, make it, but call it something else.
I agree, same with the eray, the price of 120k makes it unattainable for lots of people. When the c8 came out with a base price of 59k it was kind of a poor mans super car.
the z06 and eray coming in around 125-130
IMG_0427.jpeg
makes it not attainable….

and btw… the c8’s are far from ugly…..

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got a reservation scheduled in Vegas later this month for 20 laps each GT500 and Z06 back to back . I’m really looking forward to hammering them both with a very open mind.
Post your throttle maps for your best lap. I'm curious if you'll use more than 60pct throttle even half a lap.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Post your throttle maps for your best lap. I'm curious if you'll use more than 60pct throttle even half a lap.
Probably not.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
As a wise man once said, "If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it fast, I will. I got spare time."

It'll never matter to me how fast these things are. They are so fucking ugly.
I think you're speaking about the s650.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Maybe I'm jaded about modern cars, but this is just about ludicrous, on-paper bragging rights at this point... right? I mean the thing will be an amazing feat of engineering, I'm sure, but the Z06's limits are already unreachable to most mere humans even on the track, where probably not even 10% of owners will ever go more than once (if at all), and even fewer ZR1 owners will push its limits. Let alone on the street.

... Then again, all of this can be said about most exotic supercars made for the last 15+ years, so maybe the real craziness is that a car like this might now be south of 200 grand.
Yes there are a very limited number of people who can afford to spend that kind of money on a car and are also willing to use it hard, going through the consumables very rapidly and replacing very expensive tires and brakes over and over, wearing the car out rapidly.

But it's still really cool that Chevy is making it.

I would say even the Ecoboost mustang maximum performance is out of most people's ability to make the car actually work let alone the Mach 1 and Shelby's.
Yes 100%. No matter what car you are driving, there is a spectrum of how fast you can get the car to make a lap, and most of us are not near the peak.

Performance….How much do you need? How much do you want? How much can you use? How much do you actually use. Answer these questions honestly and most people would be driving Prius’ 🤭
Yes a Prius would get me to and from work just as quickly as a Mustang. But would I enjoy it?

I bet it will have a manual, finally :) but cost 250k or more :/

(And really, I don't think it will have a manual)
I would be interested in a C8 if they would finally put a manual in it, but it seems the people who buy Corvettes - most of them prefer an automatic. And there is an argument to be made that an automatic is a better choice for a 900+ HP monster.

I mean like you new to be a seasoned track driver to push a Z06. The faster a car is, the more skilled one needs to be to properly extract its performance, other than in a straight line. It would not take that long to get comfortable with an Ecoboost stang near it's limits.

Eh, I mean I get what you're saying, and there is some truth to it, but hopefully you see what I mean as well. There is a line, right? Where exactly that line should be drawn for a reasonable consumer, no one can say, but we all have our opinions.

I guess it's still not as nuts as the fact that full-sized, multi-row, grocery-getter electric SUVs are already becoming obscenely fast.

I was going to argue this point, but considering it I think you are correct. Holding back with a car or being afraid to push it because the car is too easy to crash doesn't sound like a fun time on-track to me.

My belief, not knowing by personal experience, but based on what I've seen online - is that a rear mid engine car might be less fun for me than a front mid engine with a transaxle. I think at my level of experience and with the number of times per year I go to the track (few), I would probably enjoy myself more and push limits more easily with a car where loss of traction events are easier to react to.

Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah 93.

The GT500 KR is a Whipple 3.8L on 93 and I think its quoted at900 to the wheels. Shelby warranties it too if I'm not mistaken. I'm seeing quite a few on the net with about that much power on 93. Whipple actually says the 3.8L is safe for 1035 crank, 875 to the wheels on 93 their site.

On E I don't think it would be much of a comparison. E and a whipple is doing over 1k to the wheels
Until you cook the DCT...

You can make 900 on 93 with a ported stock blower on those, why bother with the whipple

The KR is specced as 900 'flywheel' hp and it doesn't say anything about a warranty. All I see is "power equipment may void factory warranty"

This one only made 800hp at the wheels

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Until you cook the DCT...

You can make 900 on 93 with a ported stock blower on those, why bother with the whipple

The KR is specced as 900 'flywheel' hp and it doesn't say anything about a warranty. All I see is "power equipment may void factory warranty"

This one only made 800hp at the wheels

Ahh ok, I wasn't quite sure the KR numbers. I was just pulling it off the top of my head. I've seen multiple 500s doing 875 ish to the wheels on 93 with the Whipple on a big pulley. I figured the KR would be about the same, but I guess not. Makes it more of a rip off I guess. Especially with no warranty. I know the shops here in Dallas are pushing close to 900 to the wheels just switching to a Whipple on 93 tune.

The image I attached is from the Whipple site.

The reason for the Whipple over upgrading the stock blower, is because the stock blower starts to have heat soak issues when it starts being spun harder. I've heard it has issues similar to those the Roush blower was having when they first came out with their kit for the gen 3 coyote. Then you start having to do weird stuff like adding an interchiller in the trunk and all that. Versus just replacing it with a Whipple and running whatever pulley you want for the desired power. It's much cleaner to get the same power

Price is another consideration. Whipple kit is about $8000. Building the stock blower up, with all the things that come from the Whipple Kit other than the Whipple itself is similar price. Getting the blower ported leaves you with no route to ever return the car stock, and then rather have 2 blowers with 1 being definitively superior. You're just left with 1 and no back ups.

1712940068763-7o.png

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
And we are all really looking forward to hear your thoughts afterwards!

At least I am anyway.

IMO driving cars back-to-back is the only really effective way to gauge them against each other. A few years ago I drove a 2016 Challenger Scat Pack, a 2016 GT350, and a 2017 911 Turbo back to back to back and came away with some observations that I might have missed driving each one individually on different days.