C63 AMG w204 or S550 Mustang GT?

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
You can get a NEW chevy SS, which is a 6.2 ls3 (better aftermarket and cheaper to make power too), for $40k, that's with a factory warranty. Used benz you'll have to purchase a separate warranty.

I know what a c63 is been looking up the e63 amgs. Horrible resale value too. Don't get one without a warranty.
What? :lol:
This :lol::lol:

2016-chevrolet-ss-5_318.jpg

chevy-ss-rr-bridge.jpg
Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
What? :lol:
This :lol::lol:

2016-chevrolet-ss-5_318.jpg

chevy-ss-rr-bridge.jpg
Perfect sleeper cars, the only 400hp v8 sedan to come with a manual.
The rear shot you posted is the older model, the 2016 has quad exhaust. The car looks bland but lowering the car and wheels will make it look good.
Another car I would pick over the c63 is a scat pack charger. Can be had for under 40k also.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
I had a couple of German cars, one of which was an '07 CLS 63 AMG. It was an absolute beast, and I loved it. I thought it was THE car that I was going to keep forever. Nope. Used German cars are stupid expensive in terms of maintenance. If you are handy and/or know a good shop, then pick up the C63. The nice thing about German cars is they depreciate stupid fast, so you could pick them up for <$40k.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
I'd take a used E90 M3 sedan with a manual over a used C63.

Beautiful cars with a great motor that revs out to 8300 rpm.

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
You can get a NEW chevy SS, which is a 6.2 ls3 (better aftermarket and cheaper to make power too), for $40k, that's with a factory warranty. Used benz you'll have to purchase a separate warranty.

I know what a c63 is been looking up the e63 amgs. Horrible resale value too. Don't get one without a warranty.
Perfect sleeper cars, the only 400hp v8 sedan to come with a manual.
The rear shot you posted is the older model, the 2016 has quad exhaust. The car looks bland but lowering the car and wheels will make it look good.
Another car I would pick over the c63 is a scat pack charger. Can be had for under 40k also.
This came to mind everytime a Mercedes was mentioned and I do love my Mercedes products. But, for the dollar, American does seem to allow for modification like no other. The fact I couldn't touch most AMG cars made me a little worried I couldn't tailor it the way I wanted. I'm also a sucker for Lexus ISF and RCF type vehicles too ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Raul-7

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
I'd take a used E90 M3 sedan with a manual over a used C63.

Beautiful cars with a great motor that revs out to 8300 rpm.
More expensive though; is the E92 M3 better than the w204 C63?

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
More expensive though; is the E92 M3 better than the w204 C63?
Hard to say if it's better. You are still going to run into very expensive repairs for both of these if anything serious ever happens.

Personally, I think the W204 engine sounds more aggressive than the E92 M3. I think the M3 body style looks better but it's a personal choice.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I don't see an automatic transmission as being a con, but to each his own.

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Having worked on/for mb, the c63 is expensive to maintain. But the m156 makes the coyote feel like a v6. Love my coyote but that engine is on another level. Stock.

Antyoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Evo X GSR
I don't see an automatic transmission as being a con, but to each his own.
the 7spd MCT transmission in the 2012+ C63's is pretty responsive and efficient compared to the older converter based 7spd transmissions. Couple people have gotten into the 9's with a supercharger, headers, and a built transmission. Lots are in the mid to low 10's

Sponsored
OP
OP
Raul-7

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
Having worked on/for mb, the c63 is expensive to maintain. But the m156 makes the coyote feel like a v6. Love my coyote but that engine is on another level. Stock.
It does sound monstrous. :D

SLEEPERSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
Been looking at the c63 myself. Not the most reliable that's for sure. I think for the minor difference in power and definitely resale the Lexus IS-F is a better choice. Not many parts out for the F except for full longtubes and exhaust. No ecu tuning to be had either.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Also check out the e90/e93 M3, they are far more reliable than the 335/328 variants. I asked my buddy who is a former BMW master tech (he went to Tesla), the m3 of those years are stout.

OP
OP
Raul-7

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
Been looking at the c63 myself. Not the most reliable that's for sure. I think for the minor difference in power and definitely resale the Lexus IS-F is a better choice. Not many parts out for the F except for full longtubes and exhaust. No ecu tuning to be had either.
Can't stand Lexus, IMO.

01-mercedes-c63-amg-black-series.jpg

Now that's one piece on fine machinery.

I'm starting to lean towards the C63 again.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The Merc's quality and fitment are in a whole 'nother league. If there's one thing I'm beyond disappointed with after 1.5 years of S550 ownership, it's the piss-poor quality of the entire thing.

I've gone through one half shaft, had my clutch and flywheel assembly replaced, have misaligned panels pretty much everywhere, had a prematurely peeling steering wheel replaced, super buggy infotainment with crappy Bluetooth and nav capability, and creaks/squeaks/rattles in pretty much every imaginable crevice (plus rattling door speakers at moderate volumes already, and I never really take my volume beyond 2/3 max output).

It completely put a damper on my happiness with this car. Quality issues aside, the Mustang is the infinitely more fun choice, but I can see an argument for the Merc being the better pick depending on what you prioritize in a daily driver. I'd still take the Mustang because it has loads more character.
Sponsored