Buying out of state

mvic1518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2012 boss 302 and 2015 WW LE 2016 Shelby GT350
Some dealers are saying if I buy a Shelby out of state and try to bring it into California DMV won't let me register it. They say it has to have 7,500 miles on it before I can register it. Any information from someone who has dealt with this would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Not true.

If you buy a car that is NOT CA smog compliant, you need 7500 miles before bringing it in or the car must be over two years old. Here is the info from the DMV:

California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle that had less than 7,500 miles on the odometer (at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition).

Anyone from importing a new direct import vehicle less than two years old..

If you buy one that is CA smog compliant, then you can bring it in right away, but you need to get it smogged when you register it and it looks like you need to visit the DMV for an inspection.

If you do a courtesy delivery to a CA dealer (buy from a dealer out of state, but get it delivered to a local dealer), then you don't need to do anything special as far as I know. The local dealer handles it and the car is considered an in-state purchase I believe.

The GT350 is 50 state legal and should not be an issue to get smogged. I am buying my GT350 out of state, because all the dealers around me were asking for very high markups. I better not be wrong about this!

-T

Last edited:

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Not true.

If you buy one that is CA smog compliant, then you can bring it in right away, but you need to get it smogged when you register it and it looks like you need to visit the DMV for an inspection.

The GT350 is 50 state legal and should not be an issue to get smogged. I am buying my GT350 out of state, because all the dealers around me were asking for very high markups. I better not be wrong about this!

-T
This is correct. I went through this when I got my 370Z out of Arizona.

#1. Take it to a SMOG station PASS
#2. Take it to the DMV for inspection (only took 5 minutes for the inspection.) PASS
#3. Register with DMV in line 10
#4. Get stickers and plates at DMV in line 18

by the way Trackaholic, are you keeping your 350Z??

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
You do owe the difference in tax paid between the CA locality rate and whatever tax the dealership charged you to CA if the CA rate is higher.

bobmclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The GT 350 is a 50 state smog legal car. If you pay cash for the car from an out of state dealer, you don't have to register it in that state. Hence, when it arrives in California you register like any other 50 state car. No smog check, no inspection etc. You can look on the dmv.gov web site.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Another ca buyer with an out of state car coming. I know there are quite a few others as well in addition to those who have already chimed in

TraKWeapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack On Order
The GT 350 is a 50 state smog legal car. If you pay cash for the car from an out of state dealer, you don't have to register it in that state. Hence, when it arrives in California you register like any other 50 state car. No smog check, no inspection etc. You can look on the dmv.gov web site.
I'm purchasing a car from MI and having it delivered to CA via a courtesy delivery. This is exactly what I was told and expect to happen. :cheers:

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is correct. I went through this when I got my 370Z out of Arizona.

#1. Take it to a SMOG station PASS
#2. Take it to the DMV for inspection (only took 5 minutes for the inspection.) PASS
#3. Register with DMV in line 10
#4. Get stickers and plates at DMV in line 18

by the way Trackaholic, are you keeping your 350Z??
I would really love to keep my 350z. It has been a fantastic car, and isn't worth much due to mileage and age. However, I don't have space for it, so I'm not sure what I will do.

-T

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I thought I found all the relevant info, but wasn't able to find the docs detailing this aspect. I'll take another look. Would certainly be nice to avoid a pointless smog test and DMV visit.

-T

Sponsored

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Thanks Bob. The rules must have changed the last few years. I do know some counties have slightly different rules, but I'll go with what you got! Much better. :)

For other Ca out of state buyers and depending on your county we are looking at these totals for tax and registration fees...
For Santa Clara county:

Considering msrp on a tech pack:
Total Registration Fees: $490.00
Total Use/Sales Tax (includes credit paid to another state-mine is $0): $5,105.00
Grand Total Registration Fees: $5,595.00

OP
OP
mvic1518

mvic1518

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2012 boss 302 and 2015 WW LE 2016 Shelby GT350
Thanks for the feedback. DMV goes along with what everyone here has said. Thanks

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm purchasing a car from MI and having it delivered to CA via a courtesy delivery. This is exactly what I was told and expect to happen. :cheers:
I'm in CA and ordered from TN. When you say "courtesy delivery" does that mean that it is being sent directly from Ford to your local dealer, bypassing the dealer from which you ordered?

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yes that is what it means, not all dealers will accept a courtesy delivery (even for a fee) and in my case my purchasing dealer did not want to do it (they wanted the car in the show room, take pics, etc even if it was only for a few days before the transporter arrived)

My local dealer was willing to accept the car for $300 , but I wasnt able to take advantage of that unfortunately. You pay the first dealer but it is shipped to the other dealer and they directly receive the car, do the PDI, registration/titling, etc. This needs to be in the original order however so ford can plan the correct shipping method/destination

TraKWeapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack On Order
I'm in CA and ordered from TN. When you say "courtesy delivery" does that mean that it is being sent directly from Ford to your local dealer, bypassing the dealer from which you ordered?
Yes. My local dealer is charging me $350 to accept and prep the car. :cheers:
Sponsored