Sponsored

Build your own Auto GT PP?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Let me start by saying I get it..you can always buy a GT PP.."just get a manual" blah blah etc etc..I get it..the fact is some people don't want a manual but do want better handling. Do the PP and non-PP share the same shocks/struts? Are just the springs, brakes, etc different on the PP?

The base GT already gets the 4 piston front brakes and rear singles from the old GT TrackPack right? So hear me out..this is assuming the person keeps the stock 18X8 rims..

1. Square set up-245/40/18's on all 4 corners. I've heard some people run 255's but I am unsure if it's a good idea to risk bulge like that.

2. Slotted/Drilled Cryo front rotors and Hawk pads and switch over to DOT4 brake fluid

3: FRPP/Steeda/etc strut tower brace along with maybe a K brace?

4: Larger front+ rear sways

If the shocks are indeed different then they will need to be changed.

Please note this was all assembled with the idea of keeping the stock wheels and brake setup while only changing components.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Do the PP and non-PP share the same shocks/struts? Are just the springs, brakes, etc different on the PP?

The base GT already gets the 4 piston front brakes and rear singles from the old GT TrackPack right? So hear me out..this is assuming the person keeps the stock 18X8 rims..

I don't have part numbers but I believe the shocks/struts are also different. Also the S197 track pack had Brembo brakes. While the base GT brakes are similar in that they are 4-piston fixed calipers, they are now made by Continental/Ford and the rotors are 13.9"(though the Brembos might have been too and they just rounded up to 14").

To your orignal plan, I'd add a complete wheel/tire package to maximize available tire width and sidewall stability. Go for 9-10" wide wheel and 275-285 width tires on all 4-corners. That's my plan anyway, and if/when I get a 2015 it will come with the PP.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
You will also want to change out all the bushings for stiffer units, add brake cooling ability (the PP front splitter directs air to the front brakes) and add at least a 3.55 rear (which is an option for the auto) to get the grip and power off the turns as you like.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
This is pretty much what they do to maximize the PP's performance:

The 2015 model is already the best-handling, best-braking standard Mustang ever right out of the box. Drivers looking to take their cars to even higher levels of capability can add a performance pack to Mustang EcoBoost fastback or convertible or Mustang GT fastback.
Both performance packs get:

• Retuned springs, bushings and monotube rear dampers
  • Additional cooling capability for track-day durability
  • Thicker rear sway bar
  • K-brace connecting strut towers to bulkhead
  • Unique tuning for ABS, electronic stability control and electric power-assisted steering
  • Center gauge pack
The 2015 Mustang EcoBoost performance package also includes:

• Front brakes: Four-piston, 46-millimeter fixed aluminum calipers with 352-millimeter rotors
  • Rear brakes: Single-piston, 45-millimeter floating iron calipers with 330-millimeter rotors
  • Unique 19x9-inch alloy wheels painted Ebony Black with Pirelli 255/40R19 Y-speed-rated tires front and rear
  • 3.55:1 final drive ratio
The 2015 Mustang GT performance package includes:

• Front brakes: Brembo six-piston, 36-millimeter fixed aluminum calipers with 380-millimeter rotors
  • Rear brakes: Single-piston, 45-millimeter floating iron calipers with 330-millimeter rotors
  • Unique 19x9-inch Ebony Black painted alloy wheels with Pirelli 255/40R19 Y-speed-rated tires, front; 19x9.5-inch alloy wheels with Pirelli 275/40R19 Y-speed-rated tires, rear
  • Strut tower brace
  • 3.73:1 final drive ratio with Torsen differential
  • Unique front splitter to channel cooling air to the front brakes

OP
OP

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I have to wonder how much of that stuff can be bought via the parts counter at your Friendly Neighborhood Ford Storeā„¢ and transferred onto an automatic car.
The radiator probably cannot be transferred over due to the lack of a trans cooler..but is there any reason the struts/shocks/bushings cannot transfer over?
I know the classic "better parts available in the aftermarket" rule will likely apply, but some of us want to use OEM parts if they're at the right price because they have been QA'd and will fit.

Sponsored

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have to wonder how much of that stuff can be bought via the parts counter at your Friendly Neighborhood Ford Storeā„¢ and transferred onto an automatic car.
The radiator probably cannot be transferred over due to the lack of a trans cooler..but is there any reason the struts/shocks/bushings cannot transfer over?
I know the classic "better parts available in the aftermarket" rule will likely apply, but some of us want to use OEM parts if they're at the right price because they have been QA'd and will fit.
A whole lot. You could offset your costs by selling what comes stock, but factory wheels and the brakes alone will probably be over $3,000. I'd guess the whole lot would be $5,000. I'm not sure if you could even get your hands on the special tuning.

OP
OP

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The brakes aren't that huge of an issue for me as I will never likely track the car to the point where they become a huge NEED, plus I would like to retain the option to run 18"'s so the 6 pot's aren't really an option. From past experience you can still get very good setups with 4 pistons (new rotors/pads etc).

For rims..yeah I would likely upgrade in time but $1,400 is a steep price to justify on rims alone (like for TSW Nurburgrings in 19X9/9.5). I'm sure it's worth the cost, but I also suspect a good set of 245's or 255's would be a vast improvement too.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
FWIW, you could feasibly bolt on all of the mechanical bits that come on the PP car, though you might pay through the nose to get them. However, what you won't get - and people often don't realize the significance of this - is the unique calibration for the chassis controls. The ABS, traction control & stability control of the PP cars has been uniquely calibrated to be optimized for the specific hardware that the PP cars come with. One could easily write that off as "no big deal", but this adds a level of integration and performance functionality that an aftermarket-modified car will never, ever match the OEM-built car on. And these things really can make a difference when pushing the car hard, especially for someone that isn't a professional race car driver.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
not sure what you plan on doing as you mention that you will not track..

i would start with a good set of shocks. after that you can decide where to take it, or leave it as it is..

beers

OP
OP

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
not sure what you plan on doing as you mention that you will not track..

i would start with a good set of shocks. after that you can decide where to take it, or leave it as it is..

beers
I live in an area with a lot of twisty mountain roads, and the Southern Oregon coast is only about an hour and a half to two hours away. I would like to improve the handling but not to track-ready status. Around here the only real track is the local 1/4 mile drag and a small Kart track.

To get to a real "race track" would be Portland International Raceway at the other end of the state..or Thunderhill..another two hours away to the south.

Sponsored

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
I live in an area with a lot of twisty mountain roads, and the Southern Oregon coast is only about an hour and a half to two hours away. I would like to improve the handling but not to track-ready status. Around here the only real track is the local 1/4 mile drag and a small Kart track.

To get to a real "race track" would be Portland International Raceway at the other end of the state..or Thunderhill..another two hours away to the south.
then my advice is perfect. i learned the hard way on my last track car.

beers

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Why..?
You can't wait another year? You going to do all that work, on a new car... rather than wait?

FreddyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 wheels and a seat
I'd like the Brembo brakes and the Torsen diff. Those are some Very Nice pieces on an automatic.

Maybe throw a factory installed small stall speed (2800 rpm with a Very Drivable 1.8-2.2 STR) and trans cooler wouldn't be hard to swallow either....Hint, Hint Ford! :D

That would Definitely make it an automatic PERFORMANCE PACK!

TungstenGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Fastback, Manual, PP, DIB
I'm not sure if this was already said, but you could order a GT with PP and replace the manual transmission with an auto of your choice. That might be cheaper and easier than purchasing, installing and tuning all of the other bits.
Sponsored