Sponsored

Brand new car. Already transmission/engine problems?

VoodooV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Just got a 2017, drove it 1,000 miles to home and it was amazing.

Anyways, I decide to go take it out for a spin. 30 minutes into the drive, I noticed a smell while at a light. I get into a parking lot and I hear what sounds like.. metallic clanking/grinding behind the driver side front wheel. A bit of transmission whine and some grinding bit I can't pinpoint it. I get back into the car, check the Temps (all of them are fine) although my dash oil pressure was at 37psi idle which looked a bit low (I don't have much knowledge regarding those)..

And the noise was still there, didn't change with turning the wheel or throttle input, and then I thought.. maybe the transmission? Nope. Swapping gears was easy, no noise reduction out of gear or anything. It then went away for a bit, but smelled like burning plastic/material or something along those lines.

On the 5 minutes drive home after the noise went away.. I was checking settings, everything seemed fine. No limp, Trans was as smooth as ever. Clutch was grabbing good. Motor running good (from what I could tell)

Got home finally.. still smell the plastic or whatever the burning was, which was probably from the metal grinding noise I heard. Whistle like pitch with no set pattern and grinding is the best way to explain, louder than the motor idle too (very obvious).

I'm quite concerned. No car should be making those noises.
Did not sound healthy at all. I can't be descriptive enough for how odd it sounded... like.. a squeaky belt with some added metallic whirring/grinding and a bad smell.

Edit: Forgot to add in, while I was sitting in the car quietly listening to this.. the car almost died once, but I wasn't in gear or had the clutch pressed. Rpm dropped to 500 and almost died but came back on. (Very similar to what happens when you almost kill a car by letting clutch out so fast with not enough throttle)

Anyone else have this happen?
Taking to dealer in the morning. Hopefully I can repeat it, or at least have them check for whatever was melting/burning.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Just got a 2017, drove it 1,000 miles to home and it was amazing.

Anyways, I decide to go take it out for a spin. 30 minutes into the drive, I noticed a smell while at a light. I get into a parking lot and I hear what sounds like.. metallic clanking/grinding behind the driver side front wheel. A bit of transmission whine and some grinding bit I can't pinpoint it. I get back into the car, check the Temps (all of them are fine) although my dash oil pressure was at 37psi idle which looked a bit low (I don't have much knowledge regarding those)..

And the noise was still there, didn't change with turning the wheel or throttle input, and then I thought.. maybe the transmission? Nope. Swapping gears was easy, no noise reduction out of gear or anything. It then went away for a bit, but smelled like burning plastic/material or something along those lines.

On the 5 minutes drive home after the noise went away.. I was checking settings, everything seemed fine. No limp, Trans was as smooth as ever. Clutch was grabbing good. Motor running good (from what I could tell)

Got home finally.. still smell the plastic or whatever the burning was, which was probably from the metal grinding noise I heard. Whistle like pitch with no set pattern and grinding is the best way to explain, louder than the motor idle too (very obvious).

I'm quite concerned. No car should be making those noises.
Did not sound healthy at all. I can't be descriptive enough for how odd it sounded... like.. a squeaky belt with some added metallic whirring/grinding and a bad smell.

Edit: Forgot to add in, while I was sitting in the car quietly listening to this.. the car almost died once, but I wasn't in gear or had the clutch pressed. Rpm dropped to 500 and almost died but came back on. (Very similar to what happens when you almost kill a car by letting clutch out so fast with not enough throttle)

Anyone else have this happen?
Taking to dealer in the morning. Hopefully I can repeat it, or at least have them check for whatever was melting/burning.
Sorry to hear that! Definitely not normal. When your start your car again and it makes similar sounds I would have it towed to the dealer. Again sorry to hear of this.

Last edited:

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
did you check underneath to make sure that you didn't pick up something on your drive ?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Did it change with speed? If it doesn't change with RPM then it probably not engine related.

My car idling will drop low I assume its normal

Let us know what they say

Sponsored

OP
OP
VoodooV8

VoodooV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I thought it was the clutch too.
Taking it in today, still doesn't explain the same noise when clutch is in... and out.

masar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Petr
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Lightning Blue, 2017 AG Raptor
Same happened to me with my M4 after i did some drifting and spins. It was brake disc.

Sponsored

Deranged1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Mine has a noise also. At around 2k rpms, clutch in or out, under load or not, it has a light sound of what sounds like someone dumping a bucket of marbles down a metal sliding board. Or cement coming down the shoot of a cement truck. I've been under the car trying to pin point where it originates, while the wife blips the throttle, and I believe it is clutch or fly wheel related. Maybe bolts in the flywheel vibrated loose. If not that, could be a spun main. Anyway, dropping it off next Tuesday for that and grinding going into 6th gear. We will see.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
make sure to press the clutch all the way in

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has a noise also. At around 2k rpms, clutch in or out, under load or not, it has a light sound of what sounds like someone dumping a bucket of marbles down a metal sliding board. Or cement coming down the shoot of a cement truck. I've been under the car trying to pin point where it originates, while the wife blips the throttle, and I believe it is clutch or fly wheel related. Maybe bolts in the flywheel vibrated loose. If not that, could be a spun main. Anyway, dropping it off next Tuesday for that and grinding going into 6th gear. We will see.
That sounds a bit like piston slap ? If it's that, it's normal.

Deranged1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
That sounds a bit like piston slap ? If it's that, it's normal.
Normal? Didn't hear it the 1st 1500 miles and if tha9t what I'm hearing, I have excessive clearance or wear.
Sponsored