Sponsored

Brake Pads & Brembo Caliper ID

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'm a long-time fan of the Mustang, and now a proud first-time owner. It's also my first time working with non-Porsche Brembo calipers.

Can someone identify the specific Brembo caliper model designation (F&R) so that I can research what aftermarket brake pad compounds may be available? Another way to look at this is whether I can identify this caliper as the same model used on other Mustang models, other cars, etc.

I don't know that the OE pads will or will not be up to track time duty, but at this point I can't even find easy OE replacement options.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Anyone?

Am I missing something obvious here? Or, is no one using or planning to use anything other than OE pads for this car?

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Last edited:

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
In another forum, someone bought extra set of the stock pads. They came in Brembo bags and says made in Italy believed to be made by Ferodo. Regardless, agree with mattlqx.... this car is track ready out of the box. Even comes with DOT-4. Aero funnels air to brakes so no ducts needed.

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
In another forum, someone bought extra set of the stock pads. They came in Brembo bags and says made in Italy believed to be made by Ferodo. Regardless, agree with mattlqx.... this car is track ready out of the box. Even comes with DOT-4. Aero funnels air to brakes so no ducts needed.
That is a start in the right direction. I am more curious about what compound is already on the car, not that it is not capable.

Ferodo makes good track pads - I believe Ferodo and AP Racing are now subsidiaries of Brembo. I used the DS2000 on the street and DS3000 on the track and they were awesome. Here is a link to the Ferodo catalog which actually has cad drawings for all of their brake pads. It is a step in the right direction because Ford Performance could not tell me anything. I called Lethal and spoke to them and they have not touched the brakes.

I will probably go ahead and order some extra pads and use those as a template for measurements and figure out which pad in the catalog they used.

http://www.ferodoracing.com/pdf/catalogues/Ferodo_car_tuning_catalogue.pdf

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Stock pads and fluid are adequate for HPDE events which typically are 30 mins or less per session per group anyway. Even if you run high speed nascar banks or tight hairpin turns and start scrubbing speed swiftly, the stock setup is consistently strong and reliable. Plus in almost any HPDE, it's seldom you'll get continuous repeated clean laps for a lengthy period because eventually you're bound to hit track traffic which obviously affects (e.g. slows down) your car's track performance.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Another way to look at this is whether I can identify this caliper as the same model used on other Mustang models, other cars, etc.

They are only used on the GT350 (the 6-pots on the GT PP are a different caliper design), not sure about other makes/models. Your best bet is to probably call ford performance or brembo directly and see if it is a standard size or if its gt350 specific

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Here's the Brembo GT350 front pad and some data to help you on your way.
_GT350 front pad.JPG
_GT350a.JPG
_GT350b.JPG
_GT350c.JPG

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Thanks for all the replies.

To be clear, I'm in no position yet to know whether the pads will/won't be perfectly fine for the track duty I'm contemplating, or even if the fluid needs to be replaced. But, given the relative thinness of the front pads at least, and considering the weight and speed we'll be managing, I'm just trying to plan ahead for wear and replacement.

I'm a huge fan of the Ferodo DS2500 as a primary street / sometime track pad, and have raced/tracked for several years exclusively on PFC compounds. On the whole, I'm just looking for data and options at this point.

The pad dimensions are a big help--Thanks! With that info, I can see what else may be available. Any data on the rear pad shape and size?

I also see that the front pistons were extended from the caliper face by 1-3 mm, which suggests a thicker pad could be swapped in. That's a completely unsupported observation and comment, of course; just speculation.

Thanks again.

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
Here's a visual I like. Left is Boss pad. Right is GT350. Both cars are essentially the same weight.
IMG_1979_zpszs4qecfy.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Here's a visual I like. Left is Boss pad. Right is GT350. Both cars are essentially the same weight.
Is this comparing a Boss front pad to a GT 350 front pad? The pad on the left sure looks like a rear pad.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Is this comparing a Boss front pad to a GT 350 front pad? The pad on the left sure looks like a rear pad.
lol no. That's actual difference between the 2-piston front in the S197 GT/Boss Brembos and the GT350 6-pistons.

The rear pad on the S197s didn't use pins, they use a spring clip... and they're smaller still.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They were still technically 4 piston brembos, but minuscule in comparison to the GT350 units

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
lol no. That's actual difference between the 2-piston front in the S197 GT/Boss Brembos and the GT350 6-pistons.

The rear pad on the S197s didn't use pins, they use a spring clip... and they're smaller still.
Ummm . . . wow . . .

That Boss pad looks smaller than the fronts on my '95 M3 race car. Of course, that car doesn't have solid aluminum calipers.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Just a bump on the off chance that someone has identified pad options for the, apparently, bespoke Gt350 Brembos. I haven't yet nailed anything down in my searching.

I'll be interested to learn about others' experience with the stock pads, including longevity with track use, replacement options, etc. This will certainly be a primary wear item needing fairly frequent replacement given the potential number of owners who will track their car. However, if the OE pad demonstrates good performance under general track conditions and remains a strong go-to option, that could be pretty impressive. Typically, even with "performance" cars, manufactures do not provide OE pads up to the rigors of track work. I'm ready to be surprised here.
Sponsored