Sponsored

Boost pressure - Cold conditions

Noble-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Hey all, for those of you driving in the extreme cold we've been having lately (been below zero here for the past few days) have you seen a drop in boost pressure?

Apologies if this is a noob question, but I noticed a big drop in boost pressure when I took my car out yesterday and it seemed to generally be working a lot harder in the cold temps. Gauge wouldn't get past 5-10 psi.

I remember somebody on here had a hose awhile back that got disconnected but I did a quick glance over under the hood and everything looks to be in place.
Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Did you also note a large drop off in power? If not you're fine. The ECU is trying to hit a certain torque value not boost pressure. So with the cold weather you may not need as much boost for the ECU to reach the requested value.

OP
OP

Noble-6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I'm going to pay close attention to it today to see if there is a drop in power. )I couldn't drive very spiritedly this past weekend due to some of the road conditions.)

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
As was stated, the mustang uses torque targets, not boost targets. This means with this super dense cold air, and very cold IAT, the vehicle doesn't require as much boost to hit the torque target.

Just watch your oil pressure lol, in single digit weather I'm seeing very high oil pressure numbers, 85+ PSI.

RoryTate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Off topic, but related. For the folks in negative temps, does the radio turn on? My last couple cars wouldn't boot up the lcd/radio/nav with -5*F and colder temps until the car warmed up some 20 min down the highway. No radio, no traffic report can make for a crappy commute.
Sponsored