Sponsored

Bob's Catch Can - Hose Cutting

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Hey guys,

For those who have installed the bob's ultimate catch can what have you used to cut the lines to length? I figured i would use the tape method and a hacksaw but there must be other cleaner ways.
Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Hey guys,

For those who have installed the bob's ultimate catch can what have you used to cut the lines to length? I figured i would use the tape method and a hacksaw but there must be other cleaner ways.
You can use a heavy duty pair of cable shears or a cutoff wheel.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I used a pair of ratcheting, PVC tubing cutters. Nice clean cut, no need for tape.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I used a pair of ratcheting, PVC tubing cutters. Nice clean cut, no need for tape.
Same here. If you don't have a set, take the hose to Lowe's, and go into their tubing department. They have a set of cutters that are usually lashed to the display. Cut it, then wipe the cutters off with a rag.

JR

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
The pvc pipe cutters are a good idea. Not sure if i have pvc ones but i know i have a few copper pipe ones i can at least do a test run on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Im going to put this here instead of starting a new thread.

I went to install today and immediatly hit a wall trying to dry fit it under the strut tower brace. It seems that where it lands it cannot sit flat due to the wiring harneses and metal loop that is bolted into the side of the strut tower. I tried moving these but the harneses wont budge and even if they did they would be zero clearance to drain it.

I tried going to the side of the harness but this makes it so the oil cap is totally blocked and the piping wont work.

My last thought is my bracket is the wrong one. From tip to can it is just shy of 5". Another inch and it looks like it would of been in the clear.

Anyone deal with anything similar? Any suggestions?

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Im going to put this here instead of starting a new thread.

I went to install today and immediatly hit a wall trying to dry fit it under the strut tower brace. It seems that where it lands it cannot sit flat due to the wiring harneses and metal loop that is bolted into the side of the strut tower. I tried moving these but the harneses wont budge and even if they did they would be zero clearance to drain it.

I tried going to the side of the harness but this makes it so the oil cap is totally blocked and the piping wont work.

My last thought is my bracket is the wrong one. From tip to can it is just shy of 5". Another inch and it looks like it would of been in the clear.

Anyone deal with anything similar? Any suggestions?
This.
18881794_10209731048698547_4244572942532060573_n.jpg

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I have tried that but will try again tonight, i dont remember if the other harneses there would of interfered. My worry is that ribbed bundle was really resistant to move on my car and i saw the metal pipes behind moving and i didnt want to push it too much.

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
This is a no go. The ribbed bundle does not bend enough and its pushing over and stressing the metal A/C lines. It has to move more than 2 inches and even then the other wires are right under ir leaving zero room to actually drain it.

Ill post pictures and im going to reach out to Bobs to make sure the bracket isnt incorrect.

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
So here it is. If i move the ribbed bundle it does not bend. It will move the metal piping behind it and put stress on that, which A/C replacement seems a bit more pricey than a catch can. Its also not a small bend its a good 2-3 inches. Even if I do that there is zero clearance underneath to drain the can.

sdtWXmK.jpg

Here you can see it hitting the metal retainer for the wiring harness (its covered in electrical tape) and it is not even remotely close to the hole.

VkcAIFn.jpg

Here it is to the side of the metal bracket but the ribbed bundle is there again and as you can see the drain is sitting on the wires below.

LVeaz6E.jpg

It will fit to the right of all that stuff but then the bends in the hose will nto work and it blocks the oil cap.

ikc8b12.jpg

It looks like i have two options. Either a longer bracket, about 1inch or so this way it will sit above the pocket where all the wires dip down. Or a much shorter bracket to pull it back and have a short little run from the valve cover and a longer one to the intake.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
This is a no go. The ribbed bundle does not bend enough and its pushing over and stressing the metal A/C lines. It has to move more than 2 inches and even then the other wires are right under ir leaving zero room to actually drain it.

Ill post pictures and im going to reach out to Bobs to make sure the bracket isnt incorrect.
Please let me know what you find out as I'm in the same situation. I bought my Bob's catch can (the top version with the nice fittings and braided hose covers) two months ago. Was waiting until I installed my Airaid CAI to install. Wound up not liking the Airaid, so didn't install the catch can but was planning to...until now.

I just went out to the car and verified what you say is absolutely true. I have a '17 GT Premium, FWIW. My bracket is exactly 4.5" long. Additionally, with the premium fittings and hoses, you basically have to loop the output hose of can in a circle to connect with the valve cover fitting b/c the metal fitting from the can extends out past the valve cover fitting.

The only other possibility for mounting that I found was the left front corner, right by the washer fluid reservoir. There is an unused hole in the radiator brace. That MIGHT work if you shorten the bracket which is easy enough to do, but even then, there's wire bundles right underneath the drain petcock.

This is a real bummer. Way too late to return it now. The reason I bought this over the Ford Perf one that mounts in back of the radiator overflow bottle was b/c it has a drain plug/valve. The FP one you have to disconnect the whole thing, open it up and reverse the procedure to reinstall...a PITA.

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
The only other possibility for mounting that I found was the left front corner, right by the washer fluid reservoir. There is an unused hole in the radiator brace. That MIGHT work if you shorten the bracket which is easy enough to do, but even then, there's wire bundles right underneath the drain petcock.
I thought about this but it doesn't seem feasible. with the bracket it will most likely be too high sitting. you can flip it over but then it may be too low and the edges may be not sit flush since it has a bullnose-esq taper.

I emailed then and will see what they say. I can craft my own bracket but it wont look as nice and thats a major reason for the bobs ultimate.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I just bought a JLT3.0. Screw it. Not messing with the Bob's. I'm going to contact them and see if they will take it back. I bought it 2 months ago but it's never been installed. If not, I sell it for a loss. You try to do something really nice for your ride and....this. You know? :frusty:

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
They just straight up should not of made it where you need to nestle it between things when there is space to spare. I bought mine new from a member here so worse comes to worse i sell it to someone who doesnt have as tight of a setup and the loss would be minimal.

I just doubt the other cans work as well as the bobs does.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Agree with you. I watched a couple dozen videos of tests both formal and informal before buying the Bobs. But, any catch can is better than none. That's my rationalization, anyway. :eek:
Sponsored