BMW Update

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Not a Mustang again, but this happened today and yesterday:

Hi there

Well its being a long time in the planning and Geoff Steel has had it ready for me for sometime, but with them off racing and me taking holidays, we've really struggled to find a time when we were both free and I really wanted Geoff Steel to fit it simply because they have already done so many with good results, as in they don't leak!

So I arrived Geoff Steel 9am Monday, inspected the roof and was over the moon with the quality, in short it looked every bit as good as I remember my CSL roof. It was ordered in CSL weave and I requested they did not emboss their logo, which they were fine with. They also informed me this is the first roof from a new mould, as they felt the old one was getting a little tired and the last few race cars they built for themselves (oh my they have so many) were a touch dull. As such they were also over the moon when they pulled it from the mould, as the finish was exceptional.

Here is a few photos from the install process but in short it goes like this:

- Remove front and rear windscreens (Geoff Steel use Nationwide auto glass for this as they know the local guy)
- Drill spot welds
- remove old roof, pry bar for some persuasion
- Old roof in skip
- Clean the area and spray with primer and leave to dry.
- Apply tiger seal all the way round and also to the roof bar (absolute must which not all M3's have, mine did, but Geoff Steel also stock them)
- Put roof on, bolt it down at the 4 points and use clamps front and rear to ensure bond and leave to dry.
- Re-install windscreens, again done by Nationwide ensuring plenty of the sticky stuff goes in the corners.
- Leave ideally for 12-24hr to drive.
- I also had them fit the streamline aero vented wings I had, mine had rusted badly, went with these due to weight savings and functional down force (not yet enabled)

After an overnight stay in a local Inn, I collected the car this morning in the bright sunlight, the guys had given the car a quick was over and applied a quick polish, once I got home I added some sealant and wax to protect the roof from the elements and UV.

Wash test done, no leaks detected and needless to say I am over the moon, the quality is spot on, hoping it holds up over time but other owners with the GS roof seem to be doing just fine and the ones on their race cars which have being on a few years seemed fine to me, just a touch duller which is more down to the older mould and them not being waxed/protected the same, being full on race cars.

As to can I feel a difference? In 6th gear on the motorway, acceleration 70mph plus definetely feels stronger, it was always strong anyway due to the 3.91 differential and lack of weight but now the thing really just bolts off even in 6th, could easily accelerate fast in 6th from 80mph upto 180mph with relative ease. My favourite roundabouts, there just seems a touch more outright grip if anything, beyond limit can't say but car just seems to hold on better and its not lost any progression, even better.

The Streamline Aero Design wings really fit great, please bear in mind in the photos nothing has being done to them, of course I shall get my bodyshop guy to perfect them (machining where required) but they fit like OEM and do just fit, once they have being worked on by bodyshop and painted they will look fine.
The vent is functional down force if you open the arch liner, right now I have decided against this simply due to filled the inside of the wings with rocks, mud, water which would no doubt create rust and as my car with the wings off showed no signs of rust and was remarkably clean we shall keep them closed until we can find a solution to channel the air and protect the paint effectively, so a duct with mesh of some sort.

The car is booked in end of this month for a full respray in the original colour, I also plan to refurb the wheels in silver and have the brake calipers also refurbed and painted in yellow as they are looking a bit battered.

All is left then is trying to find a lighter exhaust that retains the 4 tail pipes but also maintains the stock raspy sound, which is the issue they are all either louder or single exit solutions. Apart from that is just to keep enjoying the car on the road, track days and drag racing. :)

Oh and for the E46 M3 boys, Geoff Steel showed me their yet to be released revised air box, key points are:
- Much nicer finish
- Trumpets are carbon
- It now is produced from a CNC manufactured mould, is more rigid,
- aluminium CNC flanges where the airbox meets the snorkel

It will be available in a couple of weeks and will cost £1400 I think Will said at Geoff Steel, not cheap but still cheaper than other options and now the quality is up there with the others and its a well proven solution which sounds freaking awesome, I love mine!
Couple of pictures:

I've gotta say the guys at Geoff Steel are experts and the service is superb, they even gave me a courtesy car to get too and from my hotel and the level of knowledge and solutions available for all BMW's is fantastic and back to the main subject I absolutely love the roof, it looks every bit as good as the roof on my CSL, well better actually as my CSL unfortunately had some lacquer issues which could not be fixed due to previous owner not cleaning of bird poop in good time. But to anyone who doubts the quality of the GS roof, this new mould its right up there, if your still unsure then anyone is welcome to come see my M3 and the roof, its a road legal daily and I do attend to the odd meet/show, so go take a look. :)

She should be tipping the scales now at just under 1300kg, once painted, car shall be re-corner weighted and checked. :)
Sponsored