Sponsored

BMW 228 vs. Mustang EB

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
I had an offer to terminate my lease early on my '12 335. This was good news since I needed a daily driver while I work in FL every other month. I have taken delivery of a CO '15 EB w/PP and A6 trans for use in FL :) This also coincides with the selling of my '04 Lighting this spring :(

I was going to order a BMW 228 M sport M6 trans for my daily driver in WI. That is until I test drove one last week. While this was not an M sport demo driver, the engine is representative of what I would order. I could not believe how gruff the 2.0 N44 motor was (the 2.3 EB motor is smoother and torquier). I also did not like the interior at all, it seemed really cheap. I am glad I drove one first!

Because my early lease termination included the option of financing a CPO BMW, I ended up with a 16k mile mint condition 2012 135 convertible. I have had 2 previous 135s; Old school BMW (overbuilt tank) with the sublime turbo N55 3.0 I-6 and 7-speed DCT trans :)
Mustand EB.jpg
IMG_2415.jpg
Sponsored

dtraill27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost Premium
I looked at 228s pretty hard. I was all set to order an Msport 228 with 6speed manual but I test drove the Mustang and I got way more for way less. It was a no brainer to pick the ecoboost mustang over the 228

Last edited:

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
The photo proves one thing for sure....

The Stang beats the Bimmer in the looks department. Not even close.

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
+1

And this is coming from someone who thought long and hard about ordering a BMW M235i or Mustang GT PP. I ended up ordering the M235i, mainly because I just felt like a change after owning Mustang GTs for the past 22 years. But there's no doubt in my mind (or anyone else's) that the S550 Mustang is the MUCH better looking car. :hail:

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
Nice cars, but shouldn't you have got a little bigger car for DD ?

Sponsored

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I had an offer to terminate my lease early on my '12 335. This was good news since I needed a daily driver while I work in FL every other month. I have taken delivery of a CO '15 EB w/PP and A6 trans for use in FL :) This also coincides with the selling of my '04 Lighting this spring :(

I was going to order a BMW 228 M sport M6 trans for my daily driver in WI. That is until I test drove one last week. While this was not an M sport demo driver, the engine is representative of what I would order. I could not believe how gruff the 2.0 N44 motor was (the 2.3 EB motor is smoother and torquier). I also did not like the interior at all, it seemed really cheap. I am glad I drove one first!

Because my early lease termination included the option of financing a CPO BMW, I ended up with a 16k mile mint condition 2012 135 convertible. I have had 2 previous 135s; Old school BMW (overbuilt tank) with the sublime turbo N55 3.0 I-6 and 7-speed DCT trans :)
Damn that bimmer is fugly.
Agreed with these comments. Holy cow that Bimmer looks disgusting, dowdy, dorky and old next to the Stang (heck, even the M4 looks overstyled and busy next to the S550). I dont think its even comparable in the looks department. Cant speak to the 228 as a driver, never taken it for a spin but this is like comparing an exotic with a Camry visually. I think the last Bimmers that were good looking is the 6 series Grand Coupe and the 2010-2012 BMW 335i.

turtleboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB
I test drove a M235i and fell in love. It is an awesome car, but add the options that the Mustang have into the BMW and the price difference takes them into a whole different catagory. I was also looking into a 320i, but it seems like way too cheap of a car. Sure I would love to drive around with a BMW emblem on my steering wheel, but I'll be happy with the Ford.

blkandgud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
The BMW handles like it's on rails. It's so smooth.

That's really about it.

The interior was super cheap on the 228 and the car felt like it was going to fall apart. I honestly don't see any value or incentive of picking up this car at all.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The BMW handles like it's on rails. It's so smooth.

That's really about it.

The interior was super cheap on the 228 and the car felt like it was going to fall apart. I honestly don't see any value or incentive of picking up this car at all.
I thought the M235i I drove was built like a vault and had a lot of things going for it. It was just too refined and conservative for my liking.

Way better than my Squeaks-and-Rattles Factory™ interior. I have to slap both sides of my dash at least twice on every drive to get rid of a creak and have permanent noises that won't go away elsewhere.

Sponsored

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought the M235i I drove was built like a vault and had a lot of things going for it. It was just too refined and conservative for my liking.

Way better than my Squeaks-and-Rattles Factory™ interior. I have to slap both sides of my dash at least twice on every drive to get rid of a creak and have permanent noises that won't go away elsewhere.
I was gonna lease the M235i before I bout the 5.0 pony.
I still love german engineering and that car is a dream! especially when you get the X-drive.
my buddy has the BMW and I still drool over it. I guess I just love cars that are fast and well built.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
I tested a 235, thought the interior was awesome, well built with a high quality feel. The price is what drove me away. The exterior styling is slightly quirky as well.

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
Test drove the M235i, it's a nice car and handles well.

We keep cars for a long time and I would not have gone into that one without it being a lease and dumping it when the warranty is up. Maintenance costs and repairs would be killer especially on one of those that is pushed hard.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Hmm, looks like my friend looking to get a 228 xdrive vert will be beat

"AWD for winter man", despite me showing him the video with the Ecoboost driving on studded snow tires in Canada. Well, if we take it to Raceway, he's gonna be humiliated for sure :)
Sponsored