Base GT test drive not impressive. What am I missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I dunno if it was this thread or a youtube comment but someone said the base GT is specifically for those who just want to avoid the V6/EB insults and get in a V8 lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I have raced Roadbikes and gokarts for about 15 years in the past and certainly respect the difference gearing can do. I would sometimes race my 600 in the open class and just gear it down a bit to have just as much power thru the turns as the big bore bikes. I was never going to pass then on the straights anyway so just bounce off the limiter a little. With the forced induction cars with so much torque maybe low gearing is not good because you get out of the meat too soon but I'm thinking and hearing with the coyote it might be very good to have a low gear. And seriously 6th gear is so high even for the highway the way it is. I will hopefully get to test drive a high gear ratio one soon. The cost of changing the gearing is cheap performance. I'm sure if I was track daying the car and keeping it in the revs like it wants to be the smiles would be big compared to the Ecoboost . I will try a PP also but would really like to stick with the automatic. I am just surprised how my AudiTTS with an APR tune was so much faster then this GT. That was an Automatic also. I really do like paddleshifters. I miss the clutch to do the occasional burnout though.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I dunno if it was this thread or a youtube comment but someone said the base GT is specifically for those who just want to avoid the V6/EB insults and get in a V8 lol.
Thats funny. I'll admit a small part of me agree that it is annoying that the Ecoboost really gets little respect and being made fun of. I hear it plenty at work. Nobody like people making fun of their cars. Unless it is my purple saturn beater car I have. No way of getting around not being cool driving "Barney" as we call it, around. I guess I just got caught up in all the overboard praise the GT has been getting since 2015 and expected too much maybe. I'm glad to hear that it sounds like a few combinations of options that might just get me pretty happy for many years. I also liked the Base idea to modify to my liking over the years.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I have a Premium GT with 3:15. With the premium the selectable driving modes made a huge difference, especially in track mode. If I launch the car it will go sideways with the 265 summer tires that came stock on the 20in Foundry Wheels. The stock suspension is not great, but for under $1300 I added GT350r springs, Koni shocks, BMR Cradle lockout, and a GT350 strut tower brace. The car handles AMAZING now. There is an article on this site from Oct. 2014 were they run a brand new fully stock 15' GT premium auto with 20" foundry wheels, it ran a 12.86 in the 1/4 mile with 130 miles on the odometer. As other's have said they make their power up high, and may feel a bit sluggish at first, but once the RPM's get up, it will move.

Sponsored

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Thats funny. I'll admit a small part of me agree that it is annoying that the Ecoboost really gets little respect and being made fun of. I hear it plenty at work. Nobody like people making fun of their cars. Unless it is my purple saturn beater car I have. No way of getting around not being cool driving "Barney" as we call it, around. I guess I just got caught up in all the overboard praise the GT has been getting since 2015 and expected too much maybe. I'm glad to hear that it sounds like a few combinations of options that might just get me pretty happy for many years. I also liked the Base idea to modify to my liking over the years.

Lol I think its pretty funny but honestly most I see are ladies or old men or girls driving the eb and v6s etc. I was at a light last week and a eb pulled up beside me and I didn't look over half expecting a sagging old lady to be driving. after like 5 honks they got my attention and a few young guys said 'nice car' to me. I said thanks and drove away :lol:

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
When I move up to a GT... it'll be the cheapest damn GT trim possible. S**t put a cassette player and roll-down windows on that thing and drop 2k off the price and i'll go with that lol. I ain't got the money and credit for no extras. No leather seats either, 110 degrees and leather = back sweat.

Ah the joys of growing up poor:headbang:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You won't be able to test drive a GT in a manner which makes it clear how fast it is. Plus, you need to look at a PP car. Buy a base PP car, add a tune (Lund, Bama), and you will have a very fast, very entertaining car.

The 5.0s are high RPM motors that go into beast mode between 4k rpm and 7k rpm.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... I am just surprised how my AudiTTS with an APR tune was so much faster then this GT. That was an Automatic also. I really do like paddleshifters. I miss the clutch to do the occasional burnout though.
C&D shows the Audi TTS as $53k car. And if you tuned it, that's likely without original powertrain warranty. Turbo, AWD, Dual Clutch, German car. I probably would not want to run that setup without a power train warranty.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I go from my 650 HP Corvette to the Mustang and am happy with the Mustang performance.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
C&D shows the Audi TTS as $53k car. And if you tuned it, that's likely without original powertrain warranty. Turbo, AWD, Dual Clutch, German car. I probably would not want to run that setup without a power train warranty.
Any German car for that matter. BMW's are an oil leaking nightmare.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
You aren't impressed because the GT lacks the torque that a turbo motor has. Stick with the eco and go big turbo.
That is not true, the V8 has more torque than the Ecoboost at all RPM. Here is [MENTION=6743]Norm Peterson[/MENTION]'s cartoon recreation of the dyno charts from a couple of years back, but this is very close (minus the noise). What I am guessing is that the Eco's "whiplash" effect creates more of a butt-dyno appeal to some (the amount of power that dumps on you when the turbo spools up vs. the NA 4cyl) where the V8 has power everywhere so it is not as much of a jump of power. Combine that with the fact that on a street not in track mode, the difference will be minimized.
2015-Mustang-horsepower-and-torque-curves-1.jpg

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
The last part of your comments are exactly the reason I don't have it anymore. I did not have a warranty. It had 80000. I bought it used for 28 and traded after 2 years almost traded even for the ecoboost I got. All of those "german" options were a lot of fun with a crazy price if they were to break and impossible to find used parts. Actually I never really like the look of it either. The performance was great. But actually my ecoboost at spirited driving (with a pedalmax) really doesn't feel that far off. The TTS did pull harder up top though.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

That is not true, the V8 has more torque than the Ecoboost at all RPM. Here is [MENTION=6743]Norm Peterson[/MENTION]'s cartoon recreation of the dyno charts from a couple of years back, but this is very close (minus the noise). What I am guessing is that the Eco's "whiplash" effect creates more of a butt-dyno appeal to some (the amount of power that dumps on you when the turbo spools up vs. the NA 4cyl) where the V8 has power everywhere so it is not as much of a jump of power. Combine that with the fact that on a street not in track mode, the difference will be minimized.
I think you misread my statement. I said turbo motors as in turbo motors in general have more torque than your n/a cars. I also think they are more fun to drive. Especially tuned.

Also, fun fact. The ecoboost Mustang(and now the Focus RS) had the highest specific output of any Ford production car, ever. 135 hp/liter

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
I'll take a base GT ANYDAY if given the chance!! Just as long as it's manual.. Rims/tires, springs and exhaust is ALL I would need.

With that said, the PP is the one I really want. It's a big difference from the base auto.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.