Sponsored

Backup camera inop after decklid swap

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Anyone else experience this issue?
Just popped the decklid off again to see if the connector maybe wasnt plugged in fully. It is...
Camera will not turn on and it gives me an error when I put my car into reverse on the radio
HalP!
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You hear an audible click when you insert the harness into the connector right? Make sure it clicks into place.

Try cleaning the backup camera electrical contact points on the connector with crc electronic cleaner.

It's possible a surge hit the camera and ruined it. Not likely, but possible.

OP
OP
Obsol3te

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
You hear an audible click when you insert the harness into the connector right? Make sure it clicks into place.

Try cleaning the backup camera electrical contact points on the connector with crc electronic cleaner.

It's possible a surge hit the camera and ruined it. Not likely, but possible.
Yes, you can hear the click. I did a quick search afterwards and saw people having the failed camera issue and bringing it to the dealer for replacement.
It'd be extremely unlikely backing into my garage was the last little bit of life the camera had in it before the decklid swap.
I checked fuse #66 in the engine compartment and she looks just fine.
I don't know if ford will replace the camera under warranty because I moved it into an aftermarket decklid

u2risky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - PP - Guard
Yes, you can hear the click. I did a quick search afterwards and saw people having the failed camera issue and bringing it to the dealer for replacement.
It'd be extremely unlikely backing into my garage was the last little bit of life the camera had in it before the decklid swap.
I checked fuse #66 in the engine compartment and she looks just fine.
I don't know if ford will replace the camera under warranty because I moved it into an aftermarket decklid

I had the same problem after I replaced my decklid. Tried reconnecting the camera several times, never worked.
Finally I took it to the dealer, they replaced it under warranty even though I told them that I had replaced the decklid myself.
He said that the camera was bad, he said that he did not write in the paperwork that I had changed the decklid.

Do not forget to have them check to see if the backup assist lines are working before you leave the dealer.

I still have not gone back to have them 'flash' this option back.

OP
OP
Obsol3te

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
For those interested I found the issue. There were two wires that slid slightly out from the connector itself. I took some needle nose and carefully reseated them.

Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
After ford replaced my decklid (it was warped) the camera lost its lines and at times it will say unavailable. They broke more than they fixed when i brought it in and put the first chips in the car too. I wont bring it back to them to fuck more things up.

I have heard the wires back there can be fragile. And i think OP saw that on his own here. I also would be hesitant to bring it to ford as i see even with broken wire bundles they wont replace the harness but just repair it and wrap it all in electrical tape. So that nice braided covering in the trunk looks like garbage electrical tape.

mustangtaxman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
2017 86
My car was at the dealer for a week before they found the pinched wires, they said the wires were behind the decklid.

Their course of action was to first replace the back-up camera and the latch, then a new wiring harness, then when that didn't work they listened to me and searched for a pinched wire.
Sponsored