Sponsored

Axleback Help- Ford Racing Touring vs Borla S-Type

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I need some help, input and any sound clips you may have please.
I have a h-pipe resonator delete with stock mufflers, car sounds pretty perfect to me but I can't be satisfied without the mod. I want the bigger tips and just a little more rumble when I step on it but I don't want any drone or cabin noise at all. It seems like the ford racing by borla or the borla s-type would be no drone with my h-pipe but is one a lot louder than the other? I think there is a sport too in the ford racing by borla, which is my safest bet to not go overboard?
Sponsored

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
I had H resonator delete and thought it sounded OK but raspy up top. Got the RTR street axlebacks and the sound was unreal...just way too loud for me. Put the resonator back on...perfect. They are VERY deep and sound amazing on decel/overrun, heck all the time.

There is also a "race" version if you dare.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I know putting that big heavy restrictive suitcase will tame most any axleback but i just don't want to put that thing back on!
I want something that will work with my h-pipes without drone.
thanks for the input though weinerdog

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
S-type with H pipe would be pretty loud. I have S-type cat back (x-pipe) and you definitely hear it in the cabin. Given your stated preference I'd think the Ford Racing unit would be preferable.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
by cabin noise, is that drone you mean?
Also, your saying Ford racing borla is tamer then, in and out?

side note, if your name means you're a mountain biker so am I, weekend warrior full suspension single track junky! 29er fits in the trunk with onlryfront tire off! Love it!

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Of those 2, the FR touring is a better option for what you are looking for.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
No drone in the sense of a resonant frequency that makes your ears bleed. Just a healthy amount of muscle car engine sound. Not obnoxious in my opinion - I love it. But..."no cabin noise at all" they aren't. The S-Type is definitely louder than the Ford Racing Sport and quite a bit louder than the Touring version.

Yep - heavily upgraded Trek Remedy 29er. Have some very good trails up in the hill country. F-150 does sherpa duty.

srf52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
...I installed a MRT H-pipe with Ford Racing Touring mufflers. Sound is perfect for me. Loud on cold start (like a pack of angry dogs, IMHO), but mellow when warmed up and during freeway driving. WOT is raspy, but that's the nature of quad cam motors I think. No drone and just an exhaust purr in the background driving at 70 mph with the windows up. Does not interfere with radio or conversation. Turned out just right for me; YMMV.

NEED2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT base PP Borla s-type H pipe
I have the borla s-type with H pipe. It's loud and does sound good. I'm very happy with it. I love the growl and rumble on deceleration. The idle is decent. Say you come out of a gas station you can barely hear it.(want louder now) seems that most systems are very level controllable. Just cold starts are loud. This is my second setup as I had the MBRP street before. Now I do want to switch to solo,but for the thunder or I really want the street race. I don't want rasp but I hear that people say solo has a deeper meaner sound. I'm trying to find someone near me to compare. I'm just outside of Chicago if your in the area we can go for a ride.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have the S-type catback, and based on your post, I'd recommend that you get the Ford Racing Touring. I'm not sure how much the h versus X would affect sound level, but with the 3.73s, my S-type catback is ever present at highway speeds. Not drone, per se, but just volume.

Sponsored

flubyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the ford by borla touring with an x pipe and the sound is definitely not too loud. It's a bit raspy but I bet that would be fixed with an H pipe as the OP has. Volume wise they are about as loud the Roush axlebacks with the resonator.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
From all your opinions so far it sounds like the Borla S-type would be awesome but just too loud for my personal preference and neighbors. FR by Borla with my h-pipe seems like it will hit the sweet spot I'm looking for. I really appreciate the help on this guys!
by the way I had an american thunder AB installed with my h-pipes for about 36 hours, the drone was so horrible that I couldn't even drive the car, ripped it off immediately!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
From all your opinions so far it sounds like the Borla S-type would be awesome but just too loud for my personal preference and neighbors. FR by Borla with my h-pipe seems like it will hit the sweet spot I'm looking for. I really appreciate the help on this guys!
by the way I had an american thunder AB installed with my h-pipes for about 36 hours, the drone was so horrible that I couldn't even drive the car, ripped it off immediately!
I've driven my friend's car with the S-Type catback and it sounded great but definitely too loud to DD for me. I think the FR Touring will be about halfway between the S-Type volume and the resonator delete, which would be just right. I'm also considering modding my stock mufflers how I posted a few days ago (cutting out the tube in the center chamber that forces most of the sound to go around and into baffling). It sounds quite similar to the FR touring to my ears, from a video someone who did it posted.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Of the Ford Racing systems, the Touring will be quieter than the Sport system. For me, the Sport system is perfect. No drone at all, quiet when you want it to be, loud when you get on it. However, with that being said, if you plan on doing headers down the road I would definitely recommend going with the Touring set up!

Good choices!

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm also considering modding my stock mufflers how I posted a few days ago (cutting out the tube in the center chamber that forces most of the sound to go around and into baffling). It sounds quite similar to the FR touring to my ears, from a video someone who did it posted.
Do you have a link to that video? I've got the Ford Racing by Borla sport axle back coming tomorrow but I'm interested in hearing this just in case.
Sponsored