Auto Cross

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Love autoX. Did it a lot in my 350Z, but haven't yet in the GT350. It's a great way to learn car control, as you can get a feel for rotation in a safe environment. It'll beat up the tires, but nowhere near what a trackday will. It's pretty easy on the brakes. You also get to practice learning the line quickly as you walk the course and keeping your eyes up while driving. All very valuable skills. Definitely a great way to start with the high performance driving.

-T
Totally agree. I started out doing auto cross, then driving schools, then club racing
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I hate autocross. I like the driving, but my experience is 7 minutes of driving during a 5 or 6 hour outing. What a waste of time!

I much prefer HPDE at a road course. Generally there are instructors, and a couple hours' worth of driving.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I hate autocross. I like the driving, but my experience is 7 minutes of driving during a 5 or 6 hour outing. What a waste of time!

I much prefer HPDE at a road course. Generally there are instructors, and a couple hours' worth of driving.
That is a possible downside, although hanging out with other car enthusiasts for the day, hearing the sounds, smelling the smells...well I would hardly call that a waste of time!

Definitely not an efficient way to get lots of seat time though.

-T

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That is a possible downside, although hanging out with other car enthusiasts for the day, hearing the sounds, smelling the smells...well I would hardly call that a waste of time!

Definitely not an efficient way to get lots of seat time though.

-T
I agree. If you like to stand around and talk car-talk with people it's definitely better than going to a car show or something where there's no driving at all.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I auto-crossed with BMW CCA. They have a X class for non-BMWs. Much more seat time than SCCA auto-cross events.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
There is competition piece of it that some enjoy - and it's about the most affordable (doesn't mean necessarily affordable at national level) out of all motorsports short of karting.
Sponsored