Sponsored

Audio Gurus - 10" or 12" Subwoofer?

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Planning out my stereo build for spring and have decided upon a JL Audio W6V3 series subwoofer. Question is, which size should I get? I don't listen to hip hop much - mostly rock, country, trance, pop. Checking the sealed box dimensions, it looks like the left corner of the trunk would have best dimensions for the 10". I am planning on building a custom fiberglass enclosure to fit in the back like I did with my Acura (which has a JL 10W6v2). The specs for the 12" wants 15"x15"x12" wheras the 10" wants 12'x12"x10". taking measurements, it looks like the 10" specs could work out better.

e2339d7d1209dcda994d839ebf58e5c8.jpg
Sponsored

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
The W6 is a great sub, good choice. It does however require a lot of airspace for a sealed enclosure.
Go with the 10, you wont be disappointed.

Doug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I'd go with the 10 also. If I had it to do over again I'd probably get a 10" W3 over the 12" I did get. Awesome sub though.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

billross77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I know its a different sub, but I used a Kicker CompVR, which wants a lot of air space. I bought a Sound Ordinance Bass Bunker ported box with 1.5 cf of space and it sounds amazing.

Sponsored

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I would do the biggest sub you can! with rock you are really wanting the impact of the kick. A bigger woofer will always produce a better punch and a more realistic kick! The old adage of a bigger woofer is slower then a smaller woofer is BS!

A woofer produces frequency's, a frequency is a cycle or "the speed" if you will! An 8" woofer and a 24" woofer will both produce 40hz at the same speed as the speed is dictated by the frequency. The sloppiness, or tightness of a woofers performance is based on the enclosure. Enclosure to big, the woofer will sound boomy, enclosure too small and the woofer will sound choked down. Find a shop with a proper enclosure design software and you will get a perfect enclosure. you can also utilize an eq to shape the woofers performance.

With the choices listed I would pick the 12 because it will play lower with less effort, and you will gain more impact and realism!

I personally will be using a Stereo Integrity HT18 D2 18" woofer in my competition setup. I will be utilizing an infinite baffle configuration.

2016Gruv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I would do the biggest sub you can! with rock you are really wanting the impact of the kick. A bigger woofer will always produce a better punch and a more realistic kick! The old adage of a bigger woofer is slower then a smaller woofer is BS!

A woofer produces frequency's, a frequency is a cycle or "the speed" if you will! An 8" woofer and a 24" woofer will both produce 40hz at the same speed as the speed is dictated by the frequency. The sloppiness, or tightness of a woofers performance is based on the enclosure. Enclosure to big, the woofer will sound boomy, enclosure too small and the woofer will sound choked down. Find a shop with a proper enclosure design software and you will get a perfect enclosure. you can also utilize an eq to shape the woofers performance.

With the choices listed I would pick the 12 because it will play lower with less effort, and you will gain more impact and realism!
With all else being equal, most of your statements are generally true, with the exception of the idea that "speed is dictated by the frequency." This is false. The speed of sound is not frequency dependent; however, the properties of the medium and other factors do influence the propagation of sound at different frequencies.

SQ_S550

rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
With all else being equal, most of your statements are generally true, with the exception of the idea that "speed is dictated by the frequency." This is false. The speed of sound is not frequency dependent; however, the properties of the medium and other factors do influence the propagation of sound at different frequencies.

I was referring more to the speed of the cone moving as opposed to the speed of sound. I was just trying to simply and put into easier terms, such as a 40hz note on an 8" woofer is the same as 40hz on an 18" woofer. The woofer cones will resonate at the same speed. Hence the speed of the woofers cone is dependent on the the frequency played. sorry for the confusion!

Palmtrees&2.3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic Bass
Id go for a 12. Tuned in right aroundd 600 watts, my type R fills in all the imperfections. I say go for a 12 for more of a deep bass, I used to have a W3, they are some great speakers, just don't push her too hard
Sponsored