Sponsored

article: Understanding and Analyzing Manual Transmission Failures

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
for you MT82 owners out there, who might need some light reading material for your Christmas :cheers:

the lines below are just snippets I lifted from the article to serve as Cliff Notes

http://www.rsgear.com/blog/2011/5/23/understanding-and-analyzing-manual-transmission-failures.aspx
Understanding and Analyzing Manual Transmission Failures
Posted on: Monday, May 23, 2011

... The most abused components in a vehicle are the clutch and the manual transmission as these components are completely at the mercy of the driver.

The road to ruin begins with the clutch.

Whenever you see the steel keys broken or sheared off, there can only be several causes. The first is improper or no clutch release, driver error where the clutch is not released or trying to shift without using the clutch or a driver that is moving the shift lever before the clutch has released, rushing the shift.

Another point of early transmission failure is the wrong choice of clutch for the application. This usually begins with the idea that installing a performance clutch will improve the vehicle performance.

Another cause of transmission failure is lubrication. Everyone knows that lack of lube fill due to leaks or lack of maintenance is the kiss of death for any component, but the type and quality of lube is very misunderstood.

Always be sure to use an oil that is specified for the model of trans in the vehicle.

The amount of lubrication is also critical for shift timing. Overfilling a manual transmission will cause fluid to leave from the vent but will create windage problems.

An area that creates more transmission issues is the shifter. It is common to install a "short throw shifter" into a manual trans equipped vehicle. The shifter is designed to shorten the amount of movement in the stock shifter making the shifts happen quicker. There are many excellent short throw shifters on the market and they do improve the shift sequence. However the driver needs to understand that the time it takes to shift is predicated on how fast the synchronizer can complete the shift without gear clash.

The art of synchronization is poorly understood by most drivers. The synchronizer is like a zipper. Everyone knows how to use it, but few understand how it really works.

If you do not have that disconnect of the powerflow, you are now trying to stop or slow 400 plus foot lbs of torque in the motor with a small friction surface that may be 3 or 4 inches in diameter and ¼ to ½ inch wide. This immediately damages the friction material of the ring, and can shear of the synchronizer keys like a guillotine. Once that happens you will have blocked out or grinding shifts as the sliding sleeve clashes with the engagement teeth on the speed gear. Up shifts require a lot less synchronizer effort than down shifts. Drivers who wish to slow the gear box down by using the transmission find out that brakes are a lot cheaper than transmissions.

As you can see, most transmission failures begin outside the transmission with a poor clutch release or a sloppy driver. In vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions, the driver has very little control over the shifts, but the manual trans has to relay on the driver to shift properly and full release the clutch every time.
Sponsored

OP
OP

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I was thinking that the overall move to automatic transmissions was demand driven, but now I am wondering if its more supply driven. Or rather, the car makers may sell a subset of their cars with manuals, on behalf of "enthusiasts", and yet cringe that a few or more will be noobs eager to get at 400 lb ft of torque and a clutch peddle. That, and there is also having to occasionally leave the car off with a mechanic / stranger, to get work done.

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
So, how much tq/hp can the MT82 handle before it fails?

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Well, I plan to build for 1000+ so want to know what I will need if anything to make it a good reliable MT82...

Sponsored

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
So, how much tq/hp can the MT82 handle before it fails?
Manufacturers don't rate components based on the point at which they fail. They rate them based on what they are designed to handle under a constant input or load.

Getrag rates the MT-82 to handle a constant input torque of 550 Nm (405 lb-ft) at a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 lbs. Mustangs don't weigh even half that and nobody drives around with a constant 405 lb-ft of torque load on the input shaft, so in actuality the MT-82 can handle quite a lot more torque than the rating would suggest.

GhostRider8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Thanks for sharing! I do agree with this article as a whole, however when it comes to the MT-82 I can't say most problems are "caused outside the trans" Ford has been battling problems with this trans for 4 years now and for whatever reason decided after all the complaints and investigations to continue using it. I know a lot of member say that it's a great transmission.... Once you change the fluid and add $250 shift bracket and/or new shifter. How many non enthusiast are going to do that? Once I spent $35k or more on a car I expect it to work properly, I wouldn't think you should have to spend more money to reengineer fords short comings. Just my 2 cents but think a lot of members on here agree with me.

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Manufacturers don't rate components based on the point at which they fail. They rate them based on what they are designed to handle under a constant input or load.

Getrag rates the MT-82 to handle a constant input torque of 550 Nm (405 lb-ft) at a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 lbs. Mustangs don't weigh even half that and nobody drives around with a constant 405 lb-ft of torque load on the input shaft, so in actuality the MT-82 can handle quite a lot more torque than the rating would suggest.
So I should't have any problems if I take proper care of it. Thanks!
Sponsored