Are TPMS needed?

Mikeg4572

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GTPP
Reason I ask is that I want to have a set of rear wheels for drag radials and I don't care about TPMS unless the car goes into limp mode. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Raoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Audi a4, 2015 Mustang GT
Reason I ask is that I want to have a set of rear wheels for drag radials and I don't care about TPMS unless the car goes into limp mode. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance!
The car has a built in TPMS built in, and I assume that if it has nothing to talk to, it may throw off a light about tire pressure issues. There may be a way around this however. You really should not drive on the street with drag tires by the way. Not the safest thing to do.

OP
OP
Mikeg4572

Mikeg4572

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GTPP
Just to be clear, I am getting another set of wheels to run drag radials. The wheels do not have TPMS in them. I will be running on the drag strip. I don't care about check tire light, I just want to make sure car does not go into limp mode.

Raoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Audi a4, 2015 Mustang GT
Just to be clear, I am getting another set of wheels to run drag radials. The wheels do not have TPMS in them. I will be running on the drag strip. I don't care about check tire light, I just want to make sure car does not go into limp mode.
I have no idea if it will or not! Wish I could help, maybe someone else will be able to help. I am still very new to all this. :)

Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
if your going to use it only for drag then youll manually check it anyway you dont need it unless you really want it.

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG

Thanks in advance!
Mike, the car will throw an error screen at you upon startup (Tire Pressure Sensor Fault), but will otherwise function normally. I drove about 600 miles like this and other than the error message at startup (every freaking time!), there were no issues whatsoever.

SWLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll never have issues running no tpms they are for people who don't check air pressures ever, only thing is the light will be lit up on your dash

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Any easy way to disable the light?

How much do the sensors weight? Also wondering do I want to deal with them for a set of track wheels.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
An ounce or 2 each? Literally nothing in the scheme of things.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Any easy way to disable the light?

How much do the sensors weight? Also wondering do I want to deal with them for a set of track wheels.
Assuming the track wheels don't get significant street use there are two potential advantages to the new TPMS:

1) IF a tire starts to go down significantly or the car starts to feel strange you either get a warning or you can preemptively check.

2) You can monitor the approximate tire pressure change as the tires heat during a session.

CJ Pony Parts had them in stock at relatively low cost compared to previous Ford sensors. http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-tir...valve-stem-style-set-of-four-2015/p/TBANDS5K/

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
I thought... and correct me if I am wrong... that if the car does not see the tmps, or sense that the tire/tires are not registering a pressure signal, that it will trigger the cars traction control to remain "ON"???

I do know that this is how it works with most other car makers, I dont know for sure if this is how it works with Ford. I had a work around for other cars, I merely pulled the pressure monitoring system fuse, but that triggered the dash lights and also disabled some other dash related things that had zero effect on performance or reliability.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I thought... and correct me if I am wrong... that if the car does not see the tmps, or sense that the tire/tires are not registering a pressure signal, that it will trigger the cars traction control to remain "ON"???

I do know that this is how it works with most other car makers, I dont know for sure if this is how it works with Ford. I had a work around for other cars, I merely pulled the pressure monitoring system fuse, but that triggered the dash lights and also disabled some other dash related things that had zero effect on performance or reliability.
Not that I've seen in the Factory Service Manual CD (and I've looked very carefully). AFAIK there is no interaction between the TPMS and any other system.

I've been running a set of Schaeder sensors left over from my 2012 Mustang's autocross wheels in the autocross wheels for my 2015 since the new sensors were on back order early this year. They keep the TPMS light off and also report individual pressures. However, front and rear are reversed (and maybe side to side) and various programming tools won't fix that.

OP
OP
Mikeg4572

Mikeg4572

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GTPP
Good to know, I don't care about light, only plan on using at track or to and from the track. I think I can deal with the light.

Thanks!
Sponsored