Sponsored

Are the stock fuel components E85 compatible?

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
I'm coming from an Frs/brz that I modified with a flex fuel system. Here in Arizona my 2 pump choices are 91 and E85. What will it take to run a similar setup on the eb stang? Anyone working on a flex fuel upgrade yet? :shrug:
Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
If these are anything like the other EB engines, the pump can either support the extra fuel needed for added power, OR the extra fuel needed for E85, but not both. From our own testing, even mixing it made the fuel supply well below what we deem as "safe" at the normal 91 octane tune power levels, so the only way to use it safely that way was to pull power out of it, completely defeating the point in running E85.

Now, we will still test it on our own car to determine its safety as we are never the type to assume anything, but it has never bode well for other EB engines

OP
OP
EcoSnake

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
So looks like a kit will need to be made to upgrade the entire fuel system with flex fuel added. Fuel, turbo, and sound will be a challenge with this platform.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
E85 tunes for BRZ are impressive, +35whp & +30wtq. But, some 2.3EB tuners are doing +60whp & +100wtq without switching to E85. So initially seems like 2.3EBs are less challenging, in my opinion. But big hp, like 600hp might take a year or 2 for aftermarket to develop parts. Tomei used old school hybrid EJ25/20 in all their early BRZ race/drift cars, so proven WRX & STi engine parts helped the BRZ gain fame. Gave the aftermarket time to develop parts for FA20. 2.3EB will just take a little time too,... I think.

OP
OP
EcoSnake

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
E85 tunes for BRZ are impressive, +35whp & +30wtq. But, some 2.3EB tuners are doing +60whp & +100wtq without switching to E85. So initially seems like 2.3EBs are less challenging, in my opinion. But big hp, like 600hp might take a year or 2 for aftermarket to develop parts. Tomei used old school hybrid EJ25/20 in all their early BRZ race/drift cars, so proven WRX & STi engine parts helped the BRZ gain fame. Gave the aftermarket time to develop parts for FA20. 2.3EB will just take a little time too,... I think.
E85 on a boosted fa20 made a much bigger difference. Allowed the boost to be turned up higher without sacrificing safety.

Would need a bigger turbo and fuel system to push up the psi with E85.

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
We are actually knee deep in more performance upgrades as we speak. We know our tunes alone, while reshaping what people think a 4-cylinder mustang means, will not be enough for some of you power junkies!

We already released our MyCalibrator tuner and EvenFlo thermostat, and we have our Windstorm intake, Thunderstorm exhaust, and upgraded engine internals and turbos already in development, many of them very close to release!

Fredness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Mustang Convertible 2.3L/A4LD
...and are these E85 compatible (or is this just SPAM)?

OP
OP
EcoSnake

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
Back on subject. Are the stock components that will touch E85 rated for that fuel? Or will they explode and die?

Sponsored

Fredness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, I'm guessing nobody knows for sure - let me share what I know.
2005 Ford Focus Duratec - I re-wrote the tune for E85 by changing the Stoich and fuel tables and simply added E85 to the tank. Worked like a champ and was good for 14HP over an 87 Octane tune - no other mods.
The O-rings are Viton (E85 proof) and the rest of the system was rated for E20 (as per Ford). This leaves me to believe that the VAST majority of Fords since then are Alcohol safe just based on the current E0-E20 fuel mandates nationally.
I have THOUSANDS of miles on E85 (and various mixes), and 215,000 on the clock.
Injectors were pulled and tested about 35K ago with ZERO issues and they were near SPOTLESS (Flow tested to within 1% of baseline from years ago).

The issue we are going to face is what are the fuel injectors rated at? These are MOTORCRAFT Part #CM5232 (According to RockAuto.com) and are NOT showing up on any cross reference or databases yet.

However, all these companies that keep pimping their tunes could tell us what Ford is using for injector size in the fuel tables...

That will be our biggest hang up.

15EBStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
OK, I'm guessing nobody knows for sure - let me share what I know.
2005 Ford Focus Duratec - I re-wrote the tune for E85 by changing the Stoich and fuel tables and simply added E85 to the tank. Worked like a champ and was good for 14HP over an 87 Octane tune - no other mods.
The O-rings are Viton (E85 proof) and the rest of the system was rated for E20 (as per Ford). This leaves me to believe that the VAST majority of Fords since then are Alcohol safe just based on the current E0-E20 fuel mandates nationally.
I have THOUSANDS of miles on E85 (and various mixes), and 215,000 on the clock.
Injectors were pulled and tested about 35K ago with ZERO issues and they were near SPOTLESS (Flow tested to within 1% of baseline from years ago).

The issue we are going to face is what are the fuel injectors rated at? These are MOTORCRAFT Part #CM5232 (According to RockAuto.com) and are NOT showing up on any cross reference or databases yet.

However, all these companies that keep pimping their tunes could tell us what Ford is using for injector size in the fuel tables...

That will be our biggest hang up.
Interesting read! Thanks!

Isn't a direct injection injector rated for over 2,000 psi?

Fredness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure, but I wouldn't doubt it for a second.
Direct injection is FAR better at managing AFRs too, less fuel is wasted from standoff, etc. So that buys us some "headroom" if Ford calculated the Injector size based on the Duratec (24lbs).
Also, it would be nice to know what these naysayers are using for a "safe" injector Duty Cycle and what BSFC they are using in their calculations...

Sales@BBR

Sales & Tech
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blowbyracing.com
Vehicle(s)
BlowByRacing
They are actually not designed to run E85. BUT..... people have been running it no problem. Your injectors WILL have to be upgraded (don't know of anything tested on the ecoboost yet)

15EBStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Not sure, but I wouldn't doubt it for a second.
Direct injection is FAR better at managing AFRs too, less fuel is wasted from standoff, etc. So that buys us some "headroom" if Ford calculated the Injector size based on the Duratec (24lbs).
Also, it would be nice to know what these naysayers are using for a "safe" injector Duty Cycle and what BSFC they are using in their calculations...
They have a wideband, so I assume this really helps control AFR
Sponsored