SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
How often do you use your paddle shifters? How do you like them, and how quick does the trans respond/shift when it gets the input?

I am finishing up my Coyote/6r80 swap in my '92, and I am at a decision point as to whether I get the SelectShift working or not.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I don't have the auto but I know that with a tune the paddle shifters instigate a shift pretty quickly.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
How often do you use your paddle shifters? How do you like them, and how quick does the trans respond/shift when it gets the input?

I am finishing up my Coyote/6r80 swap in my '92, and I am at a decision point as to whether I get the SelectShift working or not.
I have the auto and use the paddle shifters most of time. They work pretty well but could respond quicker imo.

Mark it zero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2013 Dodge Charger R/T AWD
Don't use them often. Don't use sport mode often either.

I occasionally use them in non sport mode when approaching round abouts or the one twisty section of road I travel to work, but only for downshifting. I am mostly lazy on the way to and from work so it doesn't happen often.

Sport mode at the drag strip, but let it shift automatically. I cannot launch and shift into second gear quick enough to avoid Rev limiter interuption.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I love playing around with my paddle shifters, the only way to drive when I'm in the mood for spirited driving.

As previously stated, an aftermarket tune makes a big improvement to the shifting speed.

Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I'll second that using the paddles in sport mode you can drive much more spirited. Gives you the control you need to have over the gears.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I use them in both regular and sport mode driving types. When in sport mode, the trans will NOT shift unless the driver manually shifts it. So if you're looking for that type of control, the paddles are worth it. When in "D", the driver can still use the paddles and shift, but the trans programming will still up/down shift automatically (wont hold the gears).

IMO, for a daily driver it takes out the mundane, typical boring aspect of an auto trans - especially if the owner does a lot of daily driving - whether highway or long back roads. The 6R80 does shift rather quickly in its stock form when using the paddle shifters. Sure maybe it's not "tuned" for drag racing right out of the box, but for a daily driver, the shifting speed is by far quick enough as designed.

If I were you, I'd integrate them into your build if you already have all of the necessary parts.

Any link to your build?

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I use them in both regular and sport mode driving types. When in sport mode, the trans will NOT shift unless the driver manually shifts it. So if you're looking for that type of control, the paddles are worth it. When in "D", the driver can still use the paddles and shift, but the trans programming will still up/down shift automatically (wont hold the gears).

IMO, for a daily driver it takes out the mundane, typical boring aspect of an auto trans - especially if the owner does a lot of daily driving - whether highway or long back roads. The 6R80 does shift rather quickly in its stock form when using the paddle shifters. Sure maybe it's not "tuned" for drag racing right out of the box, but for a daily driver, the shifting speed is by far quick enough as designed.

If I were you, I'd integrate them into your build if you already have all of the necessary parts.

Any link to your build?
The auto WILL shift itself...it just holds gears way, way too long. But it will shift itself.

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6

I would go for it, I'm not a huge paddle shift guy but they are a very welcomed addition since the 6R80 in my 2015 v6 will hold gears in S way too long for my liking.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
When in sport mode, the trans will NOT shift unless the driver manually shifts it. So if you're looking for that type of control, the paddles are worth it.

If I were you, I'd integrate them into your build if would like some sort of control of your 6R80.
Fixed.

The trans will shift itself in S mode, as long as the paddles are not used. Once you flip one, the car will stay in gear no matter the RPM.

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Paddle shifters are an unnecessary gimmick...unless you really need to control when a certain shift needs to happen.
There is no way a human can manually shift gears quicker with paddles or the floor shifter than the transmission can.

Last edited:

joedrt73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base coupe
Fixed.

The trans will shift itself in S mode, as long as the paddles are not used. Once you flip one, the car will stay in gear no matter the RPM.
And.... If you hit a paddle, you have to go to D from S to reset it so the trans shifts itself again. Stupid. It should be a time delay like it is in D when you hit a paddle.

joedrt73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base coupe
And the shift response on a drag track is not as responsive as letting the S mode or D shift it..idk why but looks like it could be made to be the same...

OP
OP
SStormtrooPer

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
Thanks for all the replies -- seems it is not worth my time right now. Maybe I will do something down the road if I miss that aspect of control.

Any link to your build?
No link to a build yet. I will probably create one some day when the car is done.

Its a 2016 crate engine, ARH headers, MMR oil pump and timing sprocket gears, Whipple blower(selling CJ intake) and all Maximum Motorsports supension.

Here are some pics --
IMG_2129.jpg
IMG_2223-1.jpg
IMG_3231.jpg
IMG_3233.jpg
IMG_3234.jpg

Last edited:

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
Thanks for all the replies -- seems it is not worth my time right now. Maybe I will do something down the road if I miss that aspect of control.

No link to a build yet. I will probably create one some day when the car is done.

Its a 2016 crate engine, ARH headers, MMR oil pump and timing sprocket gears, Whipple blower(selling CJ intake) and all Maximum Motorsports supension.

Here are some pics --
ought to fly for sure. awesome!
Sponsored