Sponsored

Anyone here got SYNC3 without NAV/Shaker?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

Really as per the title, has anyone got a car without the Shaker/Nav option?
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
had sync 2 with no nav/shaker if of any use - what would your question be?

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
had sync 2 with no nav/shaker if of any use - what would your question be?
Not sure is Sync 2 is different due to lack of Apple Car Play or whatever its called.

But in short with Sync 3 if you don't have NAV, could you still install an app like google maps so when its connected to your iPhone the maps is displayed on the main screen and audio put through speakers?

Was the stereo still acceptable? Or was the quality vastly poorer on audio quality when playing music?

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not sure is Sync 2 is different due to lack of Apple Car Play or whatever its called.

But in short with Sync 3 if you don't have NAV, could you still install an app like google maps so when its connected to your iPhone the maps is displayed on the main screen and audio put through speakers?

Was the stereo still acceptable? Or was the quality vastly poorer on audio quality when playing music?
Ah ok. I would think that you can still use the apple/android link to run nav for sure.

But, the difference in audio quality is night and day tbh. The audio was the main reason for taking that option, not too fussed about nav - that was a nice to have bonus.

Standard stereo was pants at a higher volume IMO, very tinny. One of my regrets with my Ecoboost order - even though I had never heard a shaker system, I knew it wasn't great. Whereas I can turn the shaker right up and it sounds awesome, not only because of the sub in the boot, but overall it seems to be better quality. I know the speakers are probably the same but the extra few that are added in do seem to make a difference.

If you're on the fence about it as an option, I would 100% have it. Unless of course your keen to rip out all the interior and throw your own in ;)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Nav built in is always going to help with resale. You can retro fit the syn2 with nav now with a few little gimmicky electrowizardry. But nothing yet for retro fitting sync 3 with it.

From memory, and people who've done/tried it you can use Sync 3 with any carplay apps and NOT buy navs (It'll still work). As it runs off phones GPS/Navigation, not the cars, the car is just a relay screen.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Nav built in is always going to help with resale
Resale?! :eyebulge: a Mustang is for life, such thoughts should not enter the mind when buying a Mustang. Wouldn't catch me sell...oh wait!

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
You can run SYNC3 app NAV, without in built NAV (if that makes sense). Ive used it on Focus hire cars.

The std. stereo will be shite, but 1000quid spent on aftermarket upgrades will have it sounding a lot better than a shaker system.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can run SYNC3 app NAV, without in built NAV (if that makes sense). Ive used it on Focus hire cars.

The std. stereo will be shite, but 1000quid spent on aftermarket upgrades will have it sounding a lot better than a shaker system.
I am thinking more weight savings, lack of subwoofer, wiring etc gotta be worth 10-20kg, yes nit picking here but as my plan on MY18 is more reducing its porky ass. 350 R seat delete, 350 R brakes, Lighter wheels, Recaros etc. if by the time I am finished I can be close to 100kg lighter than other MY18 on the road along with a tune and headers will make it vastly quicker.

Plus if it knocks a grand of the price thats a nice bonus, if the price difference is less than ÂŁ500 I may not bother, but at a grand its worth it plus I never have my radio beyond 1/3 volume as I simply prefer listening to the engine, so the shaker is not much use to me, my concern is the nav, but if SYNC3 via an app can give me NAV back then why pay for NAV if I can install it as an APP for free.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I have an 2016 Ecoboost Premium with the Sync 3 non-nav which I did the legit software upgrade (not the bootleg on this site) to accommodate android auto, and apple car play but haven't done the hardware upgrade that apple car play requires since I use android. Google Maps and Waze both run on the main screen just fine from my android.

I have the non-subwoofer 9 speaker shaker system. Over all sound quality is suitable for me, though i do wish I had the bit of extra bass from a sub sometimes as the factory speakers get low enough to please my ears with bass but I don't get that nice chest thump you get from a sub. When I am alone in the car I put it in the "driver" equalizer setting and that gives me a nice sound stage right on the dash, where as the all seat mode just kinda envelopes you in sound as a standard car stereo does. Overall have been pleased with he system. I would say in general I appreciate nice sounding speakers more than the average person but am not an "audiophile" and these have been satisfactory to me for a car stereo, with the only thing I am wanting for is a sub, like I said.

Also using android auto or just regular bluetooth connection for music from my phone (I use google play music) seems to be noticeably superior sound compared to AM/FM/Sirius Radio.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If weight savings is your goal then I have a story for you haha: There is a guy in my local mustang club who is on here (cant remember his user name unfortunately. He has completely gutted his ecoboost to the extreme, taking everything out of it radio wise, except he had to leave in most of the (base model) head unit since it is connected to the ignition security in some way. He told me he found that out the hard way by removing the stereo and then being unable to start his car haha.

If you want weight savings but retain nav and save money, you could always just go with the base stereo, gut it, get a passenger seat bracket mount for a tablet, and buy a tablet if you dont already have one, then just use your tablet for navigation whenever you need to.

Would be cheaper than buying the cheapest upgraded sync 3 radio and would save you even more weight! ;)

I am thinking more weight savings, lack of subwoofer, wiring etc gotta be worth 10-20kg, yes nit picking here but as my plan on MY18 is more reducing its porky ass. 350 R seat delete, 350 R brakes, Lighter wheels, Recaros etc. if by the time I am finished I can be close to 100kg lighter than other MY18 on the road along with a tune and headers will make it vastly quicker.

Plus if it knocks a grand of the price thats a nice bonus, if the price difference is less than ÂŁ500 I may not bother, but at a grand its worth it plus I never have my radio beyond 1/3 volume as I simply prefer listening to the engine, so the shaker is not much use to me, my concern is the nav, but if SYNC3 via an app can give me NAV back then why pay for NAV if I can install it as an APP for free.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If weight savings is your goal then I have a story for you haha: There is a guy in my local mustang club who is on here (cant remember his user name unfortunately. He has completely gutted his ecoboost to the extreme, taking everything out of it radio wise, except he had to leave in most of the (base model) head unit since it is connected to the ignition security in some way. He told me he found that out the hard way by removing the stereo and then being unable to start his car haha.

If you want weight savings but retain nav and save money, you could always just go with the base stereo, gut it, get a passenger seat bracket mount for a tablet, and buy a tablet if you dont already have one, then just use your tablet for navigation whenever you need to.

Would be cheaper than buying the cheapest upgraded sync 3 radio and would save you even more weight! ;)

UK car so no option for base and I don't want a stripped out racer, just be nice to have it weighing less without impacting the ride or creature comforts so much which in theory:
- Recaro (20kg)
- 350R Seat delete (15kg)
- 350R Brakes (10kg)
- Forged wheels (20kg)
- Less speakers (10kg)

Everything else shall be left in, tune plus headers hopefully close to 550HP crank and with the auto should be rapid enough, I want 0-100mph in sub 8s as the really exotic stuff like GTR, 911TT, R8 V10 are all in the 6-7s 0-100mph region which are exotica super-car type fast stuff, so a Mustang a second or so of the pace will make for one pretty fast car, don't think I am being unrealistic with hoping for a sub 8s 0-100 time either.

Done a 9.9s in my own manual with granny shifting, I know Enoch achieved a 9.1s with the current auto with tune and headers. So expecting the new car with more power, faster gearbox to go around second faster is not expecting too much. If I remember right my car was around 11.5s 0-100mph stock. So tuning them is worth upto 2s on 0-100 run with a good tune and some breathing mods. I am expecting MY18 10-speed to be around 9s flat stock, bit less weight, bit extra power should see it sub 8 which for an NA Mustang is nothing short of impressive as that is territory of the Stage 2 MY15 Whipple cars with a manual.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahh ok, forgot about the lack of a "cheap" mustang over there. I know a lot of people in the speaker section complain about the factory radio but I have been satisfied with it, and as long as you aren't looking for the extra bump a sub gives you for your rap/edm music (which given youre in UK I am just blindly assuming you listen to edm ;) ) you should be satisfied I think. And I do believe the radios on the 18s should have android auto/ apply car play support built in without needing to update/upgrade anything at all and I personally really like android auto, the only thing is that I wish it tied in better to the cars climate control, as I find it annoying sometimes to have to push an extra button to see the climate control screen.

Side note since I like your line of thinking/expertise on this site and wanted to hear more... are you going to opt for the magna-ride? I could be completely imagining this but I thought I read that added some weight to the car too.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahh ok, forgot about the lack of a "cheap" mustang over there. I know a lot of people in the speaker section complain about the factory radio but I have been satisfied with it, and as long as you aren't looking for the extra bump a sub gives you for your rap/edm music (which given youre in UK I am just blindly assuming you listen to edm ;) ) you should be satisfied I think. And I do believe the radios on the 18s should have android auto/ apply car play support built in without needing to update/upgrade anything at all and I personally really like android auto, the only thing is that I wish it tied in better to the cars climate control, as I find it annoying sometimes to have to push an extra button to see the climate control screen.

Side note since I like your line of thinking/expertise on this site and wanted to hear more... are you going to opt for the magna-ride? I could be completely imagining this but I thought I read that added some weight to the car too.

Yes absolutely magneride and yes it will add weight because you have the wiring harness and ECU module for the magneride, but probably talking 2-5kg for the wiring/ECU.

For me I want the flexibility of being able to go from soft and squishy to firm and flat by toggling buttons, its a nice feature and the system Ford use is actually one of the better ones on the market. :)