Sponsored

Anyone have track insurance?

stickman89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
So a couple questions does anyone have an standard insurance company that will cover open track days or training class days.

And what insurance companies cover what events HPDE etc and at what cost?

I've talked to my State Farm Agent and he basically said anything on a track designed for racing is not covered....

Molten Orange from NW Indiana
Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Don't talk to your insurance agent about a race track, which connotes competitive, wheel-to-wheel, high-risk events. Talk to him instead about non-timed driver education events that are held at safe venues away from normal traffic, which many insurance companies say are OK.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Don't talk to your insurance agent about a race track, which connotes competitive, wheel-to-wheel, high-risk events. Talk to him instead about non-timed driver education events that are held at safe venues away from normal traffic, which many insurance companies say are OK.
This was very true for decades - but it's mostly gone now - insurance companies started to get smart around 2009. Now the clause includes once the car is any kind of racing facility whether public or private - you're not covered regardless of time trial or driver education arguments.

There are companies that offer track day insurance - single days and packages. I'll research for you and provide links when I get a minute if someone else doesn't already.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
So a couple questions does anyone have an standard insurance company that will cover open track days or training class days.

I've talked to my State Farm Agent and he basically said anything on a track designed for racing is not covered....

Yeah, like Spa2k said... and the first misnomer is it is not a race, technically it's not a timed race or timed rally type of an event. That's why these events are typically called High-Performance Driving Education. If insurance is a must for you then there are popular ones like Lockton or RLI for example so it's up to you if peace of mind is paramount. But here's my 2 cents....

Will this be your first time? If yes, IMHO it's not absolutely required if you're running with an Instructor in the novice group where point-bys is mandatory. I know accidents can happen anytime anywhere but the risk is less in the lower run groups. And one of the biggest factor is actually you as the driver... you need to be smooth and not abrupt and be relaxed while at speed. Follow your Instructor's instructions. You're in learning mode anyway if its your first few times ever in an HPDE.

I can make a suggestion for newbies... try out SCCA/Tire Rack's Track Nights in America (http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events). They go all over the US and it's pretty organized and well-controlled and well-managed. They focus on performance driving as an educational experience. At the start, they even have lead-follow parade laps to help you feel at ease and less nervous.

Typically the run sessions are no longer than 20mins (which is good for the Tech/Base owners) and your lap-out (aka warm up laps) and lap-in will be slow anyway so technically you're going at a faster pace for at most 15-16 mins.

I have done a few of their visits at PBIR last year and I enjoyed it... it's a good organized event for Novices on a track.

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
When.....

When I had my 63 Plymouth that I drag raced, my State Farm Agent Did cover my car only in the pits, just in case you hit a pedestrian, or hit another race car while in the pits..... A Big No on Going Down the 1/4 track..... This was back some years ago. I know this is not a lot of help for you road track guys... :cheers: John

Last edited:

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I've used http://locktonmotorsports.com for HPDE coverage on a per event basis. Very painless online purchase process. Takes about 5 minutes.

I'm not aware of any major carrier that covers even non-timed events.

OP
OP

stickman89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
This was very true for decades - but it's mostly gone now - insurance companies started to get smart around 2009. Now the clause includes once the car is any kind of racing facility whether public or private - you're not covered regardless of time trial or driver education arguments.

There are companies that offer track day insurance - single days and packages. I'll research for you and provide links when I get a minute if someone else doesn't already.

State Farms clear policy is anything at a racing facility is not covered. I am friends with my agent so he understands my passion for cars lol.

Yes it will be my first time on anything but a drag strip

OP
OP

stickman89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Yeah, like Spa2k said... and the first misnomer is it is not a race, technically it's not a timed race or timed rally type of an event. That's why these events are typically called High-Performance Driving Education. If insurance is a must for you then there are popular ones like Lockton or RLI for example so it's up to you if peace of mind is paramount. But here's my 2 cents....

Will this be your first time? If yes, IMHO it's not absolutely required if you're running with an Instructor in the novice group where point-bys is mandatory. I know accidents can happen anytime anywhere but the risk is less in the lower run groups. And one of the biggest factor is actually you as the driver... you need to be smooth and not abrupt and be relaxed while at speed. Follow your Instructor's instructions. You're in learning mode anyway if its your first few times ever in an HPDE.

I can make a suggestion for newbies... try out SCCA/Tire Rack's Track Nights in America (http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events). They go all over the US and it's pretty organized and well-controlled and well-managed. They focus on performance driving as an educational experience. At the start, they even have lead-follow parade laps to help you feel at ease and less nervous.

Typically the run sessions are no longer than 20mins (which is good for the Tech/Base owners) and your lap-out (aka warm up laps) and lap-in will be slow anyway so technically you're going at a faster pace for at most 15-16 mins.

I have done a few of their visits at PBIR last year and I enjoyed it... it's a good organized event for Novices on a track.

Yes first time. I luckily live 20min from tireracks main facility so I will look into that. I missed the scca meeting last night but will try to make the next one. I also am looking into school at CGI in May. Trying to get my ducks in a row and be knowledgeable and prepared. Thank you guys for the responses.

Kung Fu English

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e92 M3 but a GT350 soon maybe
Yes first time. I luckily live 20min from tireracks main facility so I will look into that. I missed the scca meeting last night but will try to make the next one. I also am looking into school at CGI in May. Trying to get my ducks in a row and be knowledgeable and prepared. Thank you guys for the responses.

They do a track night at gingerman I think is the closest place. Me and a buddy (blue e92 m3 and red lotus Elise in your area) are going to Indianapolis at Putnam race course for an event July 24/25 if you want to check that out.

In the mean time come to our autocrosses at tire rack :)

<<< also from Elkhart, IN

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
State Farms clear policy is anything at a racing facility is not covered. I am friends with my agent so he understands my passion for cars lol.

Yes it will be my first time on anything but a drag strip

State Farm covered me when I totaled a car at the track in 2009. They first asked me if it was a race...and it wasn't...so I told them that. I told them it was a Driver Education day. And they asked: you wrecked at an Education event? I said: 'yes, I didn't say I was any good at it..that's why I was there learning ;-)'

they covered it but made it clear they wouldn't cover me if it happened again.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hoping your street insurance will cover it is risky at best (and counter to the concept of insurance). I used to do the same thing back 6 or 7 years ago when I was tracking a couple times a year. Never had to make a claim, so my luck held out. If you do choose to go that route, make sure to read the fine print. One policy I had mentioned having numbers on the car at an event would invalidate the policy.

Now I understand the norm is to buy separate dedicated coverage for your track day. (which is what I did at my last even a couple weeks ago).

There are a few outfits that offer it. Its nice to know that everything is understood by the carrier and you won't have to mince words to get paid if there is an accident. Yeah, it costs more but its the real deal.
Sponsored