Sponsored

Anyone had their paint thickness tested?

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
curious what your numbers were. About to try to get rid of my orange peel.
Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I own a paint thickness meter, and tested a number of cars while car shopping, including my Mustang when I bought it. Only time you will find "thick" paint is when there is respray or filler. Can't remember numbers offhand.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I own a paint thickness meter, and tested a number of cars while car shopping, including my Mustang when I bought it. Only time you will find "thick" paint is when there is respray or filler. Can't remember numbers offhand.
Any more info on that meter? Is this something the public can purchase or only repair/body shops?

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
If you plan on cutting down the orange peel its the clearcoat thickness you should be concern with. Not so sure a paint thickness meter will be of much help as it will only give you an overall thickness measurement of the primer, paint, and clearcoat together.

Sponsored

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Got all the testing I need done when my door BARELY touched a wall for literally less than half a second and took the clear and paint clean off. Results: Its fucking thin.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
Thinner paint is better for rock chip resistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you plan on cutting down the orange peel its the clearcoat thickness you should be concern with. Not so sure a paint thickness meter will be of much help as it will only give you an overall thickness measurement of the primer, paint, and clearcoat together.
I agree.

I don't know if there is such a thing, but I don't see why a tool to measure the thickness of clear-coat couldn't be made. It would use be a completely different method, like bouncing a laser in at an angle and calculating the thickness based on the distance between where the laser went in and where it came back out. May be hard/expensive depending on how much a particular base-coat scatters the light.

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Any more info on that meter? Is this something the public can purchase or only repair/body shops?
CEM DT-156. < $120 on ebay. Great device for used car shopping. Or buy one just for fun. Cruise the used car lots and try to discover cars with asymmetrical paint.
meter2 - Copy2.png

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Got all the testing I need done when my door BARELY touched a wall for literally less than half a second and took the clear and paint clean off. Results: Its fucking thin.
why does time make a difference? 1/2 second, or 5 seconds. If it scrapes, it scrapes. :shrug:

Mustang paint is basically the same thickness as all other paint, including BMW & Benz. Whether its as durable, that's another question. My old Ford cooked under the Texas sun for more than a decade and looked nearly new, except for some rock chips on the front, and some spots where birds pooped on it, etching the paint down to the metal. Of course that doesn't mean 2016 Mustang has similar paint. It would be cool if it does.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
why does time make a difference? 1/2 second, or 5 seconds. If it scrapes, it scrapes. :shrug:

Mustang paint is basically the same thickness as all other paint, including BMW & Benz. Whether its as durable, that's another question. My old Ford cooked under the Texas sun for more than a decade and looked nearly new, except for some rock chips on the front, and some spots where birds pooped on it, etching the paint down to the metal. Of course that doesn't mean 2016 Mustang has similar paint. It would be cool if it does.
nah

Ford paint is def not as durable as other mfgs,my stang,my F350 worst paint jobs I have ever seen on an OEM... By comparison my GMC seems to take a beating and never looks the wearer..my DIB mustang is a scratch magnet,I already had it polished and made look prestine last year ,even as a garage queen its hard to maintain . I think in a few years i will have it reshot

65ffr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Ram 1500, '65 FFR Cobra
That sounds more like an issue of not prepping the substrate properly, not paint thickness. Did the primer stay, or come off too?
Sponsored