Anyone drive the new GT500?

OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
^"There have been a couple times on terrible two lane roads where it was more annoying than enjoyable."

Terrible is about 75-80% of our roads. Roads are slipping, uneven, broken up, pot hole infested, etc due to lack of maintenance and care from state road. They have neither the funding or workers to keep up. They have done a lot of bridge work in the past 5 years but little to no road work!
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
^"There have been a couple times on terrible two lane roads where it was more annoying than enjoyable."

Terrible is about 75-80% of our roads. Roads are slipping, uneven, broken up, pot hole infested, etc due to lack of maintenance and care from state road. They have neither the funding or workers to keep up. They have done a lot of bridge work in the past 5 years but little to no road work!
The GT500 or a lower Mustang might be a better fit. My 2017 GT PP1 feels like a Cadillac (with all the associated floaty/isolated feeling that some people love and some hate) compared to the GT350. And the PP1 has very little to no tendency to follow road depressions. I think the performance Camaros and Challengers also have a lot less road feel. Like a ZL1 (not a 1LE) or a Hellcat - both have lots of street drama and fun available but are less hooked to the road and less likely to punish you on bad roads. IMO you owe it to yourself to at least drive them and see what you think. Neither are for me, but you might prefer them.

OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
The GT500 or a lower Mustang might be a better fit. My 2017 GT PP1 feels like a Cadillac (with all the associated floaty/isolated feeling that some people love and some hate) compared to the GT350. And the PP1 has very little to no tendency to follow road depressions. I think the performance Camaros and Challengers also have a lot less road feel. Like a ZL1 (not a 1LE) or a Hellcat - both have lots of street drama and fun available but are less hooked to the road and less likely to punish you on bad roads. IMO you owe it to yourself to at least drive them and see what you think. Neither are for me, but you might prefer them.
Yeah I've drove a hellcat. Gobs of power but a little bit of a boat. The ZL1 was on my radar for a while but the visibility is terrible in it. I think as many said, a tire change is necessary for daily driving the 350. And I suspect I'd get used to it. Doesn't help coming directly out of my raptor which soaks up everything. Thats where I will say AMG has it dialed in. They have great road feel without too much drama. But their trans needs a little work IMO.

99superduty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350, 2018 GT350 J2561
I was lucky enough to drive the GT500 at the track tour a few weeks ago in sonoma. Few laps around the track and on the 1/4 mi.

I drove the CFTP car and if it wasn't so damn pricy compared to the GT350/350R, I'd probably go with that. Seemed to handle better and was more nimble around the corners.

Granted, I'm not a pro driver but that performance combined with an auto transmission seems like it would a more comfortable daily driver.

RDM0912

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Multiple Fords
Call dealers you will find MSRP sale Price

I did in 2016 for my 350 and my week old 2020 500!

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
- GT350 R specification PSC2 were by far the worst. Horrible tire on street and ridiculous short life on track; heat cycle out after 6-8 20minute sessions.
This is flat out wrong regarding heat cycling.

Evenmetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I got a chance to drive the new GT500 at the GT500 track tour at Sonoma raceway. The car has amazing acceleration and the shifting is quite amazing for an auto. The car is still very nimble through the corners for a heavier car with that much power and the braking is still fantastic. It all just depends what you want though. For being such a similar car to the GT350, they are very different. I still prefer shifting through gears listening to that FPC scream at 8K, but that low end power on the GT500 is something special. I'd take either or, but love my 350 for life. Check out SIG's articles as they are very informative.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
This is flat out wrong regarding heat cycling.
Everyone has different experiences but mine is what I said. On day two at Lime Rock the front of the car starts washing out before lunch and I’m 1.5 seconds slower. After lunch it begins understeering even more and I’m 2-3 seconds slower per lap. Packed it up early because the car became so slow and wasn’t having fun and afraid to understeer into the wall. Keep in mind this is the ONLY set of tires I ever had this problem with. PSC2’s suck in my book.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If you're even asking this question, get the GT500.

The GT350 is a special car, but you've got to appreciate what's special about it.

The GT500 is 150 more than the GT350, so do that if you're a numbers person.

OP
OP

P4mnceblue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Ranger
If you're even asking this question, get the GT500.

The GT350 is a special car, but you've got to appreciate what's special about it.

The GT500 is 150 more than the GT350, so do that if you're a numbers person.
Ohh I fully understand it's special. And in the perfect world I'd have one of each. Just weighing pros and cons and trying to figure out what would suit me best for a daily. If I were tracking a lot and just doing occasional joy rides... it would be 350R no questions asked!
Sponsored