Sponsored

Any give tuning their own car a shot?

robw_39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just bought a 2016 Mustang GT and was thinking of picking up HP tuners VCM Suite and teaching myself to tune...

My situation is a little different then most since a good friend of mine has a Dynojet Dyno and he has tuned other type cars and Polaris RZR' mostly the RZR's...

So I guess I wouldn't be doing it alone and have access to a Dyno lol but was just curious if others went the self tune route.
Sponsored

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
This interests me.... I started to get into self tuning w/my 95 GT via SpeedBrain.... unfortunately there was not a big enough following and the company folded. There were only a few hundred put out I believe. I will look up HP tuners. I'd like to be able to tune a race car down the road.

OP
OP

robw_39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This interests me.... I started to get into self tuning w/my 95 GT via SpeedBrain.... unfortunately there was not a big enough following and the company folded. There were only a few hundred put out I believe. I will look up HP tuners. I'd like to be able to tune a race car down the road.
Yeah I would just like to have the knowhow and flexibility to tune my car as I add parts etc...

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
I started by tuning my own car and liked it a lot. I have tuned a whole bunch (300?) of cars now sort of on the side, mostly fixing crappy "pro tunes" with terrible driveability.

Taught myself (on an 850 HP Z06) and you should too. Join the HPT forum and read until your eyes fall out. Buy some basic tuning books and DVD courses or even attend some in person. Just don't quit learning.

OP
OP

robw_39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I started by tuning my own car and liked it a lot. I have tuned a whole bunch (300?) of cars now sort of on the side, mostly fixing crappy "pro tunes" with terrible driveability.

Taught myself (on an 850 HP Z06) and you should too. Join the HPT forum and read until your eyes fall out. Buy some basic tuning books and DVD courses or even attend some in person. Just don't quit learning.
Sounds like a good plan... I am definitely interested in learning... I haven't joined the HPT forums yet but have been doing some reading over there the past few days.

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Another HP Tuner here. No regrets, enjoy making changes and testing them out.

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase

:cheers:

Sponsored

atekido

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Tuning yourself will always be superior once you learn it. Don't let anyone deter you or fool you that it takes some kind of magic touch. its simple math and once you start getting the hang of it you can do tunes that are vastly superior to "can" tunes that will NEVER be optimal. NTM when you tune yourself its nice to tune the car for driving under normal conditions instead of just WOT. you would be surprised at the gas mileage gains you can attain if you tune your car for normal driving as well.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I would compare buying a "canned tune" vs tuning your self to watching a movie and reading a book. Watching a movie is easy and you'll get the story. Reading a book takes more work but the story will be so much better.

Custom internet and dyno tunes really depend on the tuners ability to read the logs and make adjustments accordingly. Some tuners are excellent others are jokes. Even if you don't want to tune your car your self, being familiar with what the logs say can tell you if the tuner you are using is doing a good job or not.
Sponsored