Sponsored

Any fitness gurus here?

NowInSixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black,Sixth Gen, GT, Bad Arse
I think whatever you do don't do too much at once and really pay attention to form. Jerking the weights around and going too heavy is a recipe for disaster. I was trying to clean and press in my twenties showing off for some friends like a dumb@$$. It's still giving me trouble about 20 years later.
Sponsored

WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Grey
Quote - kz
"I would say that after years of working out - any reasonable workout plan is good. Key is intensity which is what most beginners struggle with. I personally - being 40 - focus on amount of reps and do not more than 60 second breaks between sets.

Unfortunately the most basic and the hardest to do exercises are the most effective - except for bench press which everybody likes - pull ups and dead lift for the back, squats for the legs, sit ups for abs (abs are probably most essential and most overlooked and hated - most of back pain problems come from weak ab muscles not from weak back muscles).

I know this isn't a very clear recipe but - pick up any reasonable program that hits all muscle groups, have somebody (or watch youtube) show you proper technique for each of them (I cringe watching some of the people at the gym) and once you pick it up, keep the intensity up. Get a watch and make sure you don't rest too long between sets. Effects will come. Adjust your protein intake accordingly."

^THISI^
Is good advice

I've been a mechanic all my life, over 20 years in a Ford dealership and the last 8 working on Fire Trucks and Ambulance. I have hurt my back more times than I can count. Every time I have gone to Physical Therapy for a back injury, they work on core muscles, especially abs. You don't need wash board abs you just need to strengthen them just like all the other muscles.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Disagree again - every single one you listed works back to certain extent (especially squats, rows - either isometrically or - like most people do using the body in initial movement - just plain working the back muscles) with very little load on abs. This is the whole point - most people have stronger back than abs because back is much more frequently used. That is also what drive increased lordosis and optically increases the size of a belly if somebody has fat there. They don't have to isolation exercises like crunches, but some sort of sit ups which also include lots of lower abdomen and quadriceps is - IMO - quite essential.
You're also probably the guy that when a guy asks about lowering his car slightly you chime in with CC plates, Koni adjustables, the whole works when spending $200 on springs will net similar results.

The guy wants to look and feel better with limited time. Sure he could use that time doing core exercises and stretching of he could push around some weight add some muscle and look a lot better. Plain and simple. Then when more time frees up or he wants to push the intensity then you add.

OP
OP
PamAndJim

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
Thanks for the help all. The nice thing about core exercises is that I can always do them in the living room after my daughter goes to bed. So, they wouldn't need to fit into the 30-45 minutes I'm at the gym.

Follow up question: At what point do I need to start looking into suppliments, etc? And what do people recommend? My diet is basically high protein, low carb. I start the day with a protein shake, then some sort of lean meat and some cheese for lunch and meat and a vegetable for dinner. I'll usually have a snack (or two) of some nuts or a spoonful of almond butter throughout the day. Again, I'm not trying to get huge (or spend a fortune on suppliments). But, if there's something that can help maximize my results I wouldn't be opposed.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You're also probably the guy that when a guy asks about lowering his car slightly you chime in with CC plates, Koni adjustables, the whole works when spending $200 on springs will net similar results.

The guy wants to look and feel better with limited time. Sure he could use that time doing core exercises and stretching of he could push around some weight add some muscle and look a lot better. Plain and simple. Then when more time frees up or he wants to push the intensity then you add.
No, I'm not that guy, I have my car stock and don't any mods, therefore do not advise on something I don't know anything about. Maybe you should too...

It's not about building six pack, it's about basic spine health and well being - anybody that claims to have any knowledge about weight work out should know these basics. Abs are more essential than pretty much everything else. I honestly don't know why you do not understand it.
Gyms are full of people missing important basics, spending hours doing bench press and having ridiculously thin legs.

Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Thanks for the help all. The nice thing about core exercises is that I can always do them in the living room after my daughter goes to bed. So, they wouldn't need to fit into the 30-45 minutes I'm at the gym.

Follow up question: At what point do I need to start looking into suppliments, etc? And what do people recommend? My diet is basically high protein, low carb. I start the day with a protein shake, then some sort of lean meat and some cheese for lunch and meat and a vegetable for dinner. I'll usually have a snack (or two) of some nuts or a spoonful of almond butter throughout the day. Again, I'm not trying to get huge (or spend a fortune on suppliments). But, if there's something that can help maximize my results I wouldn't be opposed.
Been lifting for years. The only supplements I take are multivitamins, protein, and I'll cycle on and off creatin from time to time.

For beginners I'd recommend simply protein and the multivitamin. Two protein shakes a day should do it. Keep drinking the protein shake in the morning and have immediately following your workout.

I'm sure other will state differently but again keep it simple. No need to drop hundreds on BCAAs, post and pre workout, and whatever supplements are at the vitamin shop. Once you start plateauing then look to help from supplements.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

If you do start a day with good quality protein shake, I wouldn't do much more than that, maybe adding another one later in the day.
I do one shake after breakfast (Whey), another one after workout (Whey) and one before going to bed (Casein) but eat light dinner and very early.
At the age of 40, look better than I ever was (but to be fair, I'm doing decent amount of cardio - mostly running - ~12-14 miles a week - I'm 190lb so not a runner).

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Something not mentioned often is body weight movements and stretching. Ever wrestle someone who does a lot of yoga? Body weight movements will kick start your metabolism and prime your muscles and nervous system to prepare for weights. Anyone can just jump under a barbell and start slinging iron but ego usually gets the best of most people and then you end up injured or sidelined due to poor recovery methods. This has happened to me more than once lol...

Start off with bodyweight core exercises, pushups, planks, sit ups (crossfit style), chin ups (use crossfit style kip-ups until you can manage your own bodyweight), squats, lunges, etc. Follow every workout with stretching. Your stretching time should be at least half as long as your workout sessions. I'd spend at least 4 to 6 weeks doing these movements and stretches and then progress to weights.

Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. You want to remain injury free and build the best foundation for long-term health.

And skip the supplements...it's a waste of money unless you plan to make lifting weights your day job. I've know plenty of folks through my time in the military who are pretty lean and muscular and never touch anything more than a multi-vitamin.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I work out every day except Sunday doing a cardio/conditioning boxing/kickboxing/bootcamp class and then 3 sets of heavy weights and try to superset my sets. I'm trying to build muscle and tone at the same time so that's why I mix. Post workout I stack a Protein Powder with a Greens Powder, Super Suma Root, Fish Oil, Vitamin D and BCAA's within an hour of finishing my workout.

I follow a low carb/high fat diet the rest of the day right now as I'm in a cut phase. Basically consisting of Eggs, Chicken Breast, Beef, Vegetables, Cheese, Almonds and Blackberries.

I'm not a fitness expert or a trainer or anything but if you want some accountability I keep a daily account on IG "@nick_mcleary"

BTW, Oh man, here they come....

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
It depends entirely how hard you work out. If you're actually working out fairly hard, pushing yourself, etc then supplements can be wonderful. At a minimum, you want a protein shake after your workout no matter what. Past that, creatine, BCAA's, and a carb drink DURING your workout like Biotest Plazma. Again, this is all dependent on how hard you work out. That's not a challenge or anything, I'm just saying that there is a big difference between progressing with the proper loading and parameters on the squat, deadlift, push press, bench, etc than doing a program with a bunch of isolation exercises.

For creatine, no need to cycle and to make things easy don't even worry about loading, just put 5-10g of creatine in your post workout shake. For BCAA's, IF you are working out hard and pushing yourself, then even simply 5g before, 5-10g during, and 5-10g after your workout can help.

Also realize (ESPECIALLY when doing low carb) that nutrient timing is HUGE. Put most of your carbs around your workout window. If you feel like you have zero energy in the gym on a low carb diet, don't be afraid to use a carb drink like Biotest Plazma. It will NOT inhibit your fat loss when used during hard workouts and will help tremendously.

Multivitamins are a wash. Most contain ingredients that cancel each other out or even fight for the same pathways. Taking a few simple key ones would be a lot cheaper and effective. Vitamin D is always a favorite.

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Post workout I stack a Protein Powder with a Greens Powder, Super Suma Root, Fish Oil, Vitamin D and BCAA's within an hour of finishing my workout.
I would not consume antioxidants or fat with my post workout shake. Fat will inhibit protein absorption and the antioxidants will not be used correctly. It would be much more efficient for you to take the greens at breakfast or something and the fish oil with meals outside of your workout window.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I would not consume antioxidants or fat with my post workout shake. Fat will inhibit protein absorption and the antioxidants will not be used correctly. It would be much more efficient for you to take the greens at breakfast or something and the fish oil with meals outside of your workout window.
Good to know!

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Good to know!
Also, if I may recommend some fish oil Biotest has some fantastic EPA/DHA amounts but are a little pricey. In general though, MYPROTEIN has some crazy deals on everything and always offers discounts. Cheapest place to get BCAA's IMO with the discounts and their Omega Balance fish oil has some great bang for the buck EPA/DHA.

Litenin75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT/CS
Use bodybuilding.com. I used it for gym workouts and I enjoyed the workouts and they aren't very time consuming. You can go through and select what your goal is and it will suggest some workouts. Create an account and add the workout to your calendar. Get the bodyspace app and log in with the same info and the calendar will be there. It gives you a list of your daily workout and you can log your progress.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
If you experience joint pain and want to try a fat supplement (fish oil) then I'd look at GNC. They sell a brand of fish oil that has EPA, DHA and ALA (Alpha-linolenic acid) which is all the major Omega 3 fats. Also check the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3. It should be a small ratio...less than 4:1 (the lower the better)

Again, I recommend staying off of supplements until you've made good habits of eating well. They are called "supplements" for that reason...they supplement the food you eat. You can't expect them to work well if you don't already have a solid food plan.
Sponsored