Sponsored

Another (track) alignment thread

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'm working towards setting my car up with a 305/30 square setup, MPSC2s, camber plates and rear subframe alignment bushings. An alignment will be necessary, of course. I intend to set the specs more for track use, and leave them there (yes, tire longevity on the street will be compromised). This will still be primarily a street car, and I don't plan on any more mods at this point. Other than the camber plates and bushings, the suspension / body mounts are stock.

I'm prepared to go with the owner's supplement R specs, but I'm interested if others have found a better balance with more or less camber, toe, etc. I've had my car on track several times (Tech Pack / MPSS)--with whatever the alignment was from the factory--and the handling was good. No surprises; no real detriments for basic lapping work. While I wanted some improvement in mid-corner rear stability, and better rear stability over relatively tight high-speed curbs (think WGI Bus Stop), the car was definitely solid and capable enough in all sorts of situations that I could easily say you only really needed to worry about brakes and tires for a good track day.

I will say that based on my experience with other platforms, going with toe-in on the front as recommended in the supplement is different. I've always gone with toe-out in Porsche and BMW race cars; but I've never worked with a Shelby / Mustang before.

So, for those that dialed in more camber and toe-in (or toe-out), do you recommend based on your experience staying at the R specs, or pushing out a bit further? For example, maybe -2 camber up front, instead of -1.75? With the camber plates, more negative camber will be easy, but will it be advisable or smart?

I've read the few other threads where owners have reported their settings and preferences, but I'm looking for maybe some fresher data and experience, hopefully.

Thanks all,
Aaron
Sponsored

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey Aaron I ran -1.75 up front and neutral tow on my shelby with factory tires at WGI 2 weekends ago and thought it worked out great. Fronts wore evenly at that camber + GT350R Springs.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Thanks DRT.

When you say "neutral toe", do you mean 0 toe in or out? If so, what was the rationale behind that choice, if you don't mind my asking?

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks DRT.

When you say "neutral toe", do you mean 0 toe in or out? If so, what was the rationale behind that choice, if you don't mind my asking?
My rationale was a compromise to limit tire wear on the street as I'm not switching alignment back and forth. By neutral I meant "0".

Sponsored

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
My thought is don't overthink it. Guaranteed you can't tell .25 of a degree. Or 1 degree for that matter. Just drive it. If the tire wear is good, don't mess with it. There's so much compliance in the stock setup that it won't matter anyway. But too much toe out or in or meg camber on the street will wear your tires out prematurely but won't make you go any faster on track.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I went with zero toes in the rear to limit tire wear, too. I could feel more traction with -30 total toe-in in the rear but just a little bit. Everything else, I went with Ford track alignment specs, even toes in the front.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey Aaron I ran -1.75 up front and neutral tow on my shelby with factory tires at WGI 2 weekends ago and thought it worked out great. Fronts wore evenly at that camber + GT350R Springs.
Is there a thread about your weekend there? I'd love to compare notes.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I went from -1.75ish to -2ish camber with Cup2s and the tire wear is absolutely perfect. I am experienced and drive pretty aggressively. I too have done rear subframe bushings and left toe neutral at about 0. Other than that I've gone with the recommended R track specs and it's pretty dialed in.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I went from -1.75ish to -2ish camber with Cup2s and the tire wear is absolutely perfect. I am experienced and drive pretty aggressively. I too have done rear subframe bushings and left toe neutral at about 0. Other than that I've gone with the recommended R track specs and it's pretty dialed in.
Are you referring to front or rear toe?

Thanks.

Sponsored

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Is there a thread about your weekend there? I'd love to compare notes.
No threads, but here's an in-car vid from day 3. If you want more, there's also a full session vid on my channel from the prior day.

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
No threads, but here's an in-car vid from day 3. If you want more, there's also a full session vid on my channel from the prior day.

Great driving and that 350 is moving! What tires/brake pads are you running?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Rear toe. Front is set to R track specs.
I also had the car set up with FP specs for street and track. I was still on my MPSS's but tires were happy no excess wear. In fact! they had better wear vs the OEM alignment which was fudged up from the factory. I used BMR camber bolts to achieve front camber.
Sponsored