Sponsored

Another Mustang Disturbing the Peace

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium w/ Performance Package
This is not really the world we live in. I understand our love for our vehicles, and part of that is the visceral rumble of an aftermarket exhaust. It is however something completely optional. You do not have a specific constitutional right to own a loud ass mustang which in turn trumps local and common law rights pertaining to others rights to the quiet enjoyment of their residences.

There is an implicit and in many cases explicit (HOA's) social contract we abide to when living in neighborhoods. You don't have a right to make as much noise as you please. Whether your vehicle is unreasonably loud only when you go WOT or even just at idle, it doesn't matter. Idling doesn't mean you have a pass when it comes to noise laws and disturbing others right to the quiet enjoyment of their property.

I think people 'get away' with a lot when it comes to pushing the bounds of local noise ordinances and MVA regulations regarding exhaust noise with many of the exhaust systems sold. Its one thing when you are driving down a road passing other vehicles, but quite another if you have to hear it every morning at 6am.

Many folks put aftermarket exhausts on their vehicles to stand out and get attention. Its saying "Look at me!". I get it, its part of the overall experience, but if you overdo it and live in a tight neighborhood, expect the consequences.

If you woke me up every morning with that, I would take action to remediate the situation.
So just because you don't get to sleep in like you'd like every morning this individual with a loud exhaust would have to change their life/exhaust in order to accommodate you? :doh:

No we don't have a "Constitutional right" to own a loud mustang.... (what kind of obnoxious wording is that anyway) but we do have the right to modify our cars as we please in a legal fashion. If he's not breaking any rules than the people he lives around have to deal with it. If not they're free to move to an area where loud exhaust is not permitted in the neighborhood.

Reminds me a lot of this old lady who lived on the same road as me growing up.

There was an old lady on my road growing up as a kid who would constantly nag us about driving our ATVs riding around trails near her house and she didn't like that she could hear us..... These were public trails and we lived on the road they were on so were pretty much the only ones riding them.

So when she confronted us about it, we said ok, sorry we'll go slow and try to keep the noise down. A few weeks later we're cruising by going slow and she's standing in the road/trail access waving and flailing her arms in the air blocking the road with a broom screaming at us and telling us she's going to call the cops and tell our parents.

My dad and friends dad that I ride with, went down there and gave her a talking to.

She didn't even look at us after that but we understood it was making her angry so we kept going slow in order to try and be reasonable people. But there was no way that I was going to give up my childhood fun riding ATVs around my house/property in order to make this old lady happy.

Maybe I'm just the type of person who understands you can't make everyone happy all the time. :shrug:

Sorry for the long rant lol

TLDR: Old lady wasn't happy we rode quads by her house, we tried to be quiet, she still wasn't happy, we both lived our lives hating each other for 10 years until I moved out.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
No we don't have a "Constitutional right" to own a loud mustang.... (what kind of obnoxious wording is that anyway) but we do have the right to modify our cars as we please in a legal fashion. If he's not breaking any rules than the people he lives around have to deal with it. If not they're free to move to an area where loud exhaust is not permitted in the neighborhood.
I really doubt the OP's exhaust system is "street legal" from the description of the system. I remember back a few years ago when all the ricer boyz had their open exhaust systems with the 8 inch diameter fart can muffler. I hardly see those cars running around anymore because they've all gotten tickets over and over for illegal exhaust systems, and they decided to go quieter to avoid the attention.

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really doubt the OP's exhaust system is "street legal" from the description of the system. I remember back a few years ago when all the ricer boyz had their open exhaust systems with the 8 inch diameter fart can muffler. I hardly see those cars running around anymore because they've all gotten tickets over and over for illegal exhaust systems, and they decided to go quieter to avoid the attention.
This is in the first post....

Before I get into more detail here some more information. I have the solo thunder catback exhaust on my car

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
No I think this is the Ohio state law lol. I think my mistake was buying a house in a neighborhood with avg of 60-70.
Wow, you could Lighten up on us old guys, remember that you are going to be that age one day. Ha! Ha! I'm lucky with my neighbors they have not said a word about my GT 350 and my one neighbor is in his 80's. Hope thing work out for you on this situation. :ford: :cheers:

Last edited:

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Lol. I would say that you should look at it from their perspective as well since you'll be 75 one day. Then again, by then we'll all be driving electrics/hybrids so it won't really matter anymore...

Enjoy that sound while you can!

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
lol@HOAs, so glad I got out of my townhouse with that BS. No better way for meager minds to feel important than sitting on the board of the HOA. I would look up the CC&Rs, if you are in compliance then let them call the police

BUt I did look at your exhaust, it does look pretty dang loud.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Everything is perspective. You're living in a neighborhood of most likely retired people who have no interest in hearing your exhaust. Just because they don't like the sound does not make them a-holes. There's a kid who drives through my neighborhood in a 20 year old Silverado with an open exhaust, often late at night and it literally wakes me up.....annoying as hell.

I have modified exhaust on my GT and my truck but kept them on the quieter end of the spectrum because I simply don't find any pleasure in the "look at me" exhaust note many other people prefer........you have a right, within the law to modify your exhaust and your neighbors have just as much right to dislike you for it.....life is hard.

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
my society has different story. So there is very old man in his 60s. One day i saw him walking towards me and he said " Sweet sounding mustang. can i have a sneek peak"
And another neighbor of mine came in and said, its like music to ears in morning and he hates honda fart cans.
So it depends how the people are .

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
i have roush with h pipe.. and its one of loudest exhaust setups..

PhilJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT 50th Anniv
Everything is perspective. You're living in a neighborhood of most likely retired people who have no interest in hearing your exhaust. Just because they don't like the sound does not make them a-holes. There's a kid who drives through my neighborhood in a 20 year old Silverado with an open exhaust, often late at night and it literally wakes me up.....annoying as hell.

I have modified exhaust on my GT and my truck but kept them on the quieter end of the spectrum because I simply don't find any pleasure in the "look at me" exhaust note many other people prefer........you have a right, within the law to modify your exhaust and your neighbors have just as much right to dislike you for it.....life is hard.
Brings to mind the saying: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
I would hope you'd known what the makeup of your neighborhood was before moving in.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is in the first post....
Originally Posted by tritus
"Before I get into more detail here some more information. I have the solo thunder catback exhaust on my car."

Here ya go for a sample.

[ame]

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Originally Posted by tritus
"Before I get into more detail here some more information. I have the solo thunder catback exhaust on my car."

Here ya go for a sample.

Sounds good... Really not that loud IMO. Hard to tell from the video quality though.

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When this is your idea of loud.... that's pretty tame ;)

[ame]

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That Chevelle doesn't really sound any louder than the Mustang with the Solo Thunder catback exhaust.
Sponsored