Sponsored

Another engine oil thread ... What do you use?

Which brand of engine oil do you use?

• Total voters

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I prefer motorcraft 5w-30 and filter will using 5w-30 changing my own affect my warranty due to oil viscosity?

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up some Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 ("PUP")! I have about 10 months on my current Pennzoil Platinum ("PP") fill, so I think I'm going to go ahead and change the oil before it gets too cold. I try to avoid driving the car in the cold, but it won't hurt to have fresh oil in there.

I am excited to try out the PUP!

As for an oil filter, I'll be using the OEM Motorcraft FL500S filter.

hungryhippos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Brought home a 16 ecoboost 2 weekends ago, sitting at ~500 miles right now.

I'm gunna change the oil, drop in NGK spark plugs and a new panel filter next week and changing oil @ 5k. Right now I'm thinking 6 months or 5000mi OCI, I'll adjust once I get oil reports back after changes.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have had two oil changes for my Stang so far, first at 3,500 miles and then at 7,000 miles.

The oil changes were free via the dealer where I bought the car and they put in the recommended 5w20 oil.

The oil by the way as I found out later is good for 5,000 miles, so I guess I jumped the gun a little bit.

TC

Sponsored

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp
I'm planning to stick with M1 0W-40 for a while and see how that goes with 7500 mile intervals. I had been using Rotella T6 5W-40.

Best,

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I'm impressed with Pennzoil Ultra Platinium.
There was once a day when I'd use almost anything BUT pennzoil.

BUT....Shell Oil bought Pennzoil back in 2011. They have totally reformulated Pennsoil products.
I'm especially interested in their new "Pure Plus Technology"

Proprietary process in which Shell Oil creates the oil base from pure Natural Gas.
Pennzoil claims Ultra Platinium keeps pistons and other oil lubriated parts cleaner then any other oil on the market.

Maybe some of the below is simply marketing and corporate deals...but for what its worth:

BMW used to use Castrol....since 2012 they have used relabeled Pennzoil Ultra as their "BMW brand oil"
SRT recommends Pennzoil Ultra
Ferrari recommends Pennzoil Ultra
Hennessey Performance recommends Pennzoil

Real numbers are where it counts, Right!?
The Volatility Burn Off (NOACK) [% mass loss, 250 degrees C or 482 degrees F @ 1 hour] tests are very good on Pennzoil Products.

Pennzoil Ultra at 6.6%
Quaker State Ultra (Quaker State, like Pennzoil is owned by Shell Oil) at 8.8%
Amsoil OE at 10.9%
Royal Purple at 10.9%
Mobil 1 at 10.1%
Castrol Edge at 11.1%
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Here is list of conventional oils:
Pennzoil at 6.5%
Quaker State at 7.8%
Motorcraft at 15.2%
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html
YUP!!!:first:

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I'm considering switching to Rotella. I ran 5/40 mobile 1 in my bmw, switched to Rotella and had less oil consumption and the oil (visibly) stayed cleaner longer.

As long as I allow my car to warm up properly, is there any issue with running a heavier weight?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
I'm considering switching to Rotella. I ran 5/40 mobile 1 in my bmw, switched to Rotella and had less oil consumption and the oil (visibly) stayed cleaner longer.

As long as I allow my car to warm up properly, is there any issue with running a heavier weight?
If it is indeed staying cleaner, it is not necessarily a good thing. That may mean 'something else' is staying dirty.

I am a firm believer of specd oil.

Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
If it is indeed staying cleaner, it is not necessarily a good thing. That may mean 'something else' is staying dirty.

I am a firm believer of specd oil.
Not necessarily. Could be less blow by and thus less contamination.

RitzGT

Serial Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6sp

I've used Rotella T6 in every vehicle I've owned in the past 15 years or so. Mostly hotrodded turbo and twin-turbo Audis...I also ran it for 2 oil change cycles on my stock 2015 GT. I didn't notice any real difference over the Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-syn. The T6 isn't that much more expensive and it's always done a really good job of keeping engine slime in suspension so that the internals are clean as a whistle.

I recently ended up getting a bunch of M1 0W-40 on sale so that's what I'm using now. I don't intend to ever go back to 5W-20.

Best,

Best,

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Time for my first oil change. While its free at the dealership this time around, I'll be doing it myself (I think). Mobil 5w30 and a motorcraft filter.
Sponsored