Sponsored

Another blown ecoboost Engine

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Anyone pulled the plugs or fuel injectors on a GTDI engine with at least 20k miles? I am curious if this is a real thing :

http://mhbfl.com/carbon-deposits-on-direct-injection-engines
carbon-deposits-on-direct-injection-engines

There are three reasons why direct-injection engines are more prone to carbon deposits, one of which is unique to direct injection, while the remaining two are also problems for port fuel injection but are made worse by direct injection.

Second, leaner mixtures and higher combustion pressures can make the problem worse over time. A direct fuel injection motor produces more energy from a given amount of fuel and air than a port fuel injection engine. Today’s engines operate on a ragged edge between optimal efficiency and a misfire. There is not much room for error, like hot spots in the combustion chamber or a worn spark plug.

But the number one method for preventing a carbon buildup problem is updating the engine management software. New software can reduce carbon deposits by reducing the exposure of the valves to conditions that cause carbon buildup by adjusting valve and spark timing.

Don’t assume that you will find a TSB saying that a reflash of the ECM will correct a carbon buildup problem because most of the updates will be contained in normal housekeeping that may never mention a problem. You may even have to check the OEM’s website to see if the vehicle has the latest version of the software.
Sponsored

Anthony@FFtec

Vendor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IS300
It is a real thing.

So is walnut blasting for some engines/OEM's.

Kjewer1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 92 Eagle Talon
Some of the European GDI motors do have some elaborate and expensive regular maintenance procedures, including the aforementioned walnut blasting. A mechanic friend of mine at Lexus said they ran DI with port injection on some models to try to mitigate the problems. Personally I can't wait to get supplemental port injection on my own car. It will make me feel a little better. I haven't even looked at the maintenance schedule for this mustang motor (I'm only at 5k miles), I wonder if it has any such shenanigans scheduled.

whirledpeaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Lariat
Anyone pulled the plugs or fuel injectors on a GTDI engine with at least 20k miles? I am curious if this is a real thing :

http://mhbfl.com/carbon-deposits-on-direct-injection-engines
carbon-deposits-on-direct-injection-engines

There are three reasons why direct-injection engines are more prone to carbon deposits, one of which is unique to direct injection, while the remaining two are also problems for port fuel injection but are made worse by direct injection.

Second, leaner mixtures and higher combustion pressures can make the problem worse over time. A direct fuel injection motor produces more energy from a given amount of fuel and air than a port fuel injection engine. Today’s engines operate on a ragged edge between optimal efficiency and a misfire. There is not much room for error, like hot spots in the combustion chamber or a worn spark plug.

But the number one method for preventing a carbon buildup problem is updating the engine management software. New software can reduce carbon deposits by reducing the exposure of the valves to conditions that cause carbon buildup by adjusting valve and spark timing.

Don’t assume that you will find a TSB saying that a reflash of the ECM will correct a carbon buildup problem because most of the updates will be contained in normal housekeeping that may never mention a problem. You may even have to check the OEM’s website to see if the vehicle has the latest version of the software.
Here's a before and after of my 08 gti at 100k when I cleaned the intake valves. It was idling a little rough and had some misfires dtcs. The injectors and plugs looked fine, no buildup. I've not heard of vw gtdi having a lspi problem.
Before.jpg
after.jpg

iljalop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
I searched some forums according the LSPI and it seems like all issues related with the Oil quality. Poor oil combined with high pressure and some other listed factors above can cause the bent rod.
Oil with more calcium has more chances for LSPI and oils with more molybdenum has less.

Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I searched some forums according the LSPI and it seems like all issues related with the Oil quality. Poor oil combined with high pressure and some other listed factors above can cause the bent rod.
Oil with more calcium has more chances for LSPI and oils with more molybdenum has less.
I know companies are actively working on oil formulas to help combat LSPI but I wonder which oils are closest to meeting these new criteria now.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
What's the mechanism around different oils effecting the chances of LSPI?

iljalop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
What's the mechanism around different oils effecting the chances of LSPI?
When in firm motion, for example on the highway suddenly breaks piston with all the consequences, for no apparent reason. Typically at a relatively low speed and high load. Numerous tests have shown that the cause of oil, or rather in additives !!! Droplets of oil leaking between the ring at high pressure and temperature detonate against a piston, and hello!!!
Some elements of the oil additives contribute to this detonation, while others on the contrary it's stop!

LSPI article

DIBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB S550 EB
When in firm motion, for example on the highway suddenly breaks piston with all the consequences, for no apparent reason. Typically at a relatively low speed and high load. Numerous tests have shown that the cause of oil, or rather in additives !!! Droplets of oil leaking between the ring at high pressure and temperature detonate against a piston, and hello!!!
Some elements of the oil additives contribute to this detonation, while others on the contrary it's stop!

LSPI article
Are there any oils that are certified for our Ecoboosts that meet these recommendations of calcium, phosphorus, and molybdenum amounts?

iljalop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Are there any oils that are certified for our Ecoboosts that meet these recommendations of calcium, phosphorus, and molybdenum amounts?
I didn't find any. I put Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 for now and will change after 3000 Miles and will look up closely for a nice balanced oil. I found an info that content calcium between 1000-2000 effect the LSPI after 2000 it's not making difference. I didn't find the pennzoil platinum characteristics yet but I will try to see any analysis.
I know a lot of Mobil 1 has really low calcium percentage with bigger molybdenum which will be better choice for LSPI prevention but still looking for analysis.

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
somewhere I read that the European cars don't have problems with LSPI, maybe due to more experience, better engineering, higher oil qualities, etc. But looking at the engine specs, the VW GTI (manual transmission) is dialed way back compared to the others. I think these are all GTDI, but haven't verified.

Horsepower: 200 hp ~ GTI
Horsepower: 201 hp ~ Velostar Turbo (1.6L)
Horsepower: 252 hp ~ Focus ST
Horsepower: 263 hp ~ MazdaSpeed 3
Horsepower: 268 hp ~ WRX
Horsepower: 300 hp ~ EB (2.3L)

iljalop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
somewhere I read that the European cars don't have problems with LSPI, maybe due to more experience, better engineering, higher oil qualities, etc. But looking at the engine specs, the VW GTI (manual transmission) is dialed way back compared to the others. I think these are all GTDI, but haven't verified.

Horsepower: 200 hp ~ GTI
Horsepower: 201 hp ~ Velostar Turbo (1.6L)
Horsepower: 252 hp ~ Focus ST
Horsepower: 263 hp ~ MazdaSpeed 3
Horsepower: 268 hp ~ WRX
Horsepower: 300 hp ~ EB (2.3L)
I'm sorry but you wrong. VW has LSPI issue even bigger than cheating with emission in USA:-) and a lot of euro engines much way smaller current ecoboost models like 1.4 1.6 and etc. and they blow as hell.
That's so common issue with DI engines so I think we have to check German and Japanese market to solve it. Sorry America but you have an authority only with atmosphere 5.0 :ford:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
I'm sorry but you wrong. VW has LSPI issue even bigger than cheating with emission in USA:-) and a lot of euro engines much way smaller current ecoboost models like 1.4 1.6 and etc. and they blow as hell.
That's so common issue with DI engines so I think we have to check German and Japanese market to solve it. Sorry America but you have an authority only with atmosphere 5.0 :ford:
wtf did i just try to read

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
LoL... Spoken like a true ignorant fool.