I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Same. I chocked it up to pressure plate spring chatter. Been doing it since new when cold but haven't noticed any secondaries.

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Had a chance to press in the clutch today while the noise was happening but aside from the idle changing with clutch depressed it had no effect on the noise.

I believe the driver's side exhaust connection could be the culprit and the noise just goes away when the metal warms up and expands to stop any leakage... just my best guess at this point.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Same here 16' with 19k miles. Been like this since 4k. Car is currently having the tob, pilot bearing, clutch, flywheel and a new tranny being put in. Ill let you know if the noise is still there tomorrow when its finished. If so than it has to be exhaust or cats.

Sponsored

OP
OP
whalesalad

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Same here 16' with 19k miles. Been like this since 4k. Car is currently having the tob, pilot bearing, clutch, flywheel and a new tranny being put in. Ill let you know if the noise is still there tomorrow when its finished. If so than it has to be exhaust or cats.
Looking forward to the results. Can I ask why all that is being replaced? Is it due to this particular noise? Or is/was there a mechanical failure or other issue? While they are in there can you ask them to check out the flywheel for scraping or rubbing? Some people think that this sound is due to that... visual evidence might help.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar noise, that usually happens during a cold start but it is not continuous. Rather it happens in intervals of a couple of seconds. After driving for a couple of miles it seems to go away and only happens on a cold start up. At this point I'm not sure if it's related to the cats (I have SW high flow cats) or if it's related to the the transmission, aka pressure plate. I will be having my new clutch, flywheel, pilot and throw out bearing installed on March 6th, so I can report back about the noise being trans related or cat related for me.

TripleYellow5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow 5.0
same noise on my 16 GT PP with 1900 miles. pretty irritating. but seems to be normal.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Looking forward to the results. Can I ask why all that is being replaced? Is it due to this particular noise? Or is/was there a mechanical failure or other issue? While they are in there can you ask them to check out the flywheel for scraping or rubbing? Some people think that this sound is due to that... visual evidence might help.
Sorry for the long delay. So everything was replaced and right out of the gate the scratching noise was still there. I had a bad pedal vibration and rattle sound that went away when pressing in the clutch. Dealer agreed to replace tob/pilot bearing and notified me once in there that the clutch had half life left( 18k miles and drive conservative) with some hotspots on flywheel. I said to replace the clutch and flywheel. Called me up a day later and said they didn't like the backlash in the tranny so they will be replacing that as well. Got a feeling there was more to the situation but hey I'll take it.

Back to this scratching, mine appears to be driver side related and close up near the block. Thinking it's the exhaust manifold or cat.

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I've posted around and over the few years I have owned my GT, but want to get more eyeballs on it in case anyone else has experienced this sound. I have had a hard time getting a dealer to acknowledge it, but am going to continue trying.

This happens when the motor is warmed up. There is a super loud scratching/scraping/metal-on-metal type of noise coming from the drivers-side block area of the engine.

From what I understand, it is an exhaust leak. Once hot, the metal expands a little and closes the leak on most. yours sounds louder than most, and if you smell exhaust with windows up, i would bring it in and have the exhaust changed. Mine makes the sound, but not as loud and no smell in cabin

Sponsored

new302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
16 PP GT
I hope you're correct as I plan to do longtubes soon. I just hate to modify the car that much before I figure this noise out.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I hope you're correct as I plan to do longtubes soon. I just hate to modify the car that much before I figure this noise out.
I thought for sure this sound was coming from either the cat or flex pipe, but when I got rid of those things with my cat deletes nothing changed. Hate to burst your bubble but I don't think this is exhaust related.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Mine does the salsa shaker thing, been that way since brand new with 17 miles and I'm almost to 15,000 now.

It drives me insane when I go through a drive thru, all I can hear is that stupid sound. Mine never goes away when the car warms up though.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Does this only happen on the manual trans cars?
Sponsored