Sponsored

Always Check Fitment - A Catch Can Saga

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
To start, the main focus here is about checking your new parts (fitment, make sure its not broken) before its too late and also I need to vent a little. OK maybe vent a lot. TL: DR at the bottom

This started when i purchased a new catch can from one of the members here. I was thrilled as the price was right, it was the finish and series i wanted, it was one of the highest regarded cans and it was never even touched.

It arrived and a day later i go to install it, i expect this to be a short easy instal, maybe an hour tops especially how easy the videos made it look. After about an hour fidling im still at square one. No matter how i twist it or turn it the can will either hit an unmovabke metal.
bracket, push on my AC lines way too hard (it was moving over the metal pipes too), or even sit in a way it blocked the oil cap or could not be drained due to wires underneath.

At this time i call the manufacturer and they are condecending. The usual "ive installed 100s of these i never had one issue." He send me pics (the same ones on his site and the instructions i had) I email him back and with pictures showing where there are issues and measurements of the bracket as i also believed that the bracket may have been wrong since it was so off. He respond saying yes it was the wrong bracket and i bought the wrong series can, and asked me to pay for the correct one. I give him all the paper work showing this is the correct can bought and we agree ill send mine back and he will send the correct one.

2 weeks pass and guess what? The package comes and ITS THE SAME DAMN BRACKET BUT WORSE, NO SLOTS FOR ADJUSTING AND NO RADIUS TO FIT FLUSH AGAINST THE CAN. Dimensions are all the same but i dry fit it to make sure and bam doesnt fit. I call them and ask whats up and he said that it turned out the right bracket so he sent me the right one back. When i explained this bracket was worse and why bother when i sent him measurements and pictures, he pretty much admitted he didnt read the email and ended the conversation. Emails asking about sending my original bracket back were unanswered. F me right?! No because he made sure to mention i could send it all back for them to powder......

At this point Im determined to get this working and i looked all over at how to alternately mount this as others had fitting issues too. Thanks to a few good members here i get together some hardware after a day of store hoping (home depot has nothing ever). Mock it up and its on the radiator hose, but ok it wasnt made for this so i knew it would need some adjusting. A straight connect for the top, and bracket modifications should do it. i also got together everything to run a drain tube.

With help from Jeff at SK Speed (great place, please visit or look them up) i was able to slot the bracket so it could be adjusted and finally radius the back so it will fit flush against the can. I get everything together and take off all the old finish and refin the bracket bc at this point its wearing off anyway. I wrestle with putting the stright connect on but finally get it done, the bracket dries and im on my way! It may finally happen!

I assemble it all again and mock it up. There is hope. I adjust so it no longer hits the hood, i pull the bracket back as far as it can so it clears the radiator hoses! Its not going all the way down but its the drain i put on the bottle, no biggie ill get a short 90degree one. The wiper fluid cap is obstructed but will still open. Its so close but no. Its still hitting a wire that goes into the fuse box, and there is enough pressure its moving not only the connection but the fuse box. Even then there is no clearance to drain it.

I have 3 options. Fab a new longer bracket, legit .5-1 inches more would of meant i had no problems from the begining and made clearance way better for all users. Cut the one i have now (since the slot adjustment was limited as the bracket hit againt the flair in the mounting flange) and it woukd be an open ended slot which at that point i cant resell it. Or say fuck it and sell it.

After putting in 10+ hours, knowing it needed more time and already putting in an extra $50. I decided to wipe my hands clean of this can. Hopefully the new owner has no issues and loves the upgraded SS hardware and drain setup.

TL: DR- bought a catch can, it didnt fit, manufacturer didnt want to help. Did a butt load to still try to make it work. Decided it needed too much work and wasnt worth it after 10 hours and an extra $50. Would of been extrmemly fumed if i did buy it for full price and installed it later to find this all out after the return period expired.

After this i would never deal with this brand again.
If anyone can suggest me a good catch can im down for it. I want one of these 30 minute installs i keep hearing about.
Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
How about not running a catch can at all :)

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
How about not running a catch can at all :)
Yes but it seems like im getting a bit of blow by with the very tame and low rpm im drivng at now. Once its tuned i want to make sure this also isnt messing with gas octane ratings.

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
So who's catch can was it so you can Dave the next guy all the grief.

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
So who's catch can was it so you can Dave the next guy all the grief.
It was one of the big 3 brands but doesnt matter much. I know these have fit on other cars but since some of my harnesses where slightly, and i mean slightly, off then it wouldnt fit without stressing other things. All this could've been avoided if it wasnt designed to be so tight, in all the pics ive seen its shoe horned in.

Sponsored

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Stay committed to the catch can! They work. Why not consider the FRPP?

EastTNMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3
I've used JLT on multiple Stangs and they are true plug n play...for me anyway :)

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
What make did you buy? Should have bought a JLT. it's as simple as Pop off engine cover. Remove old hose. Clip catch can hoses back on. Done.

All these catch cans with cutting hoses and brackets and tigers and bears oh my!

This isn't even a 1 beer job.

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
For those of you that worried there is a big tell in there. Its the only one with an "Ultimate Edition."

I was also looking for one that could support itself.

Last edited:

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
For those of you that worried there is a big tell in there. Its the only one with an "Ultimate Edition."

I was also looking for one that coukd support itself.
That thing is a-BOB-ortion!

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
The worst is their customer service being so abobminal. I think its new owner will be happy with it as everything on it is extremely premium. But you can have a grand piano rendered useless in a studio apartment.
Sponsored