700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
So I just had a Shaftmasters Aluminum Driveshaft installed last week and I have been hearing some noises. From what I understand vibration is common, but I have never had a one piece aluminum driveshaft so maybe some other more educated people can help me out with this.

Issues:
1. LOUD clunking coming from the rear when I go over bumps, almost sounds like my entire exhaust is loose in the back. Noise sounds like it is coming from directly behind me towards the passenger side. I plan on going back to the shop just to make sure everything is tight and there's no metal on metal or anything like that but is this a common issue after installing a driveshaft or something that shouldn't be happening?

2. Vibration...like a lot of vibration. So when I am at cruising speeds and I let off the gas there's a lot of vibration and when I am at very high speeds and then let off the gas it feels like the entire car is shaking. Is this normal and if so is there anything I can do to either get rid of it or minimize it.

Any help you guys can give me with this is much appreciated, thanks.

Mike
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry

roadracergt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So I just had a Shaftmasters Aluminum Driveshaft installed last week and I have been hearing some noises. From what I understand vibration is common, but I have never had a one piece aluminum driveshaft so maybe some other more educated people can help me out with this.

Issues:
1. LOUD clunking coming from the rear when I go over bumps, almost sounds like my entire exhaust is loose in the back. Noise sounds like it is coming from directly behind me towards the passenger side. I plan on going back to the shop just to make sure everything is tight and there's no metal on metal or anything like that but is this a common issue after installing a driveshaft or something that shouldn't be happening?

2. Vibration...like a lot of vibration. So when I am at cruising speeds and I let off the gas there's a lot of vibration and when I am at very high speeds and then let off the gas it feels like the entire car is shaking. Is this normal and if so is there anything I can do to either get rid of it or minimize it.

Any help you guys can give me with this is much appreciated, thanks.

Mike
Aluminum Driveshafts are generally louder with the clunk in and out of gear.

Drive shafts that are fill with noise deadening material are quieter

Properly balanced aluminum driveshafts are fine.

OP
OP
V8Venom

V8Venom

700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
The clunk I hear is definitely not gearing. I think by clocking it I can get rid of the vibration, but I believe the exhaust is loose. It's less likely the driveshaft itself is loose, but hopefully when I get under there and check it out it's just the exhaust hitting something or loose.

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Any update on this?

Sponsored

OP
OP
V8Venom

V8Venom

700 Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
Any update on this?
The driveshaft I was sold by another forum member was actually 1" too long. Shaftmasters told me it was meant for a V6 so it appeared to be their fault but the forum member claimed he never had any issues with it, which I find extremely hard to believe. Especially since there were more weights on the driveshaft than what it actually comes with, which tells me he tried to have it rebalanced due to issues he claimed he was not having. Ultimately Shaftmasters cut it to proper length and rebalanced it. It's nowhere near as noisy as it was but you can feel it below you, especially above 80 and if I go over 100 on decel it's loud. Not like before when it felt like the whole car was going to fall apart. Ultimately I think I'm just going to go back to the stock one since the wife is not a fan of the drivetrain noise.

768mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Ever consider using Dynamat on your trunk floor, back seat bottom to see if this helps?
It has done wonders on my previous vehicles.

Just a suggestion. Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored