Air strakes installed on gen7 performance variation mustangs

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
As some of you have already seen, Ford is now installing air strakes on the k- member on the new gen7 performance stangs. I installed these today on my 22 GT Premium and from a functional aero view they should improve downforce by evacuating air faster from below the car (if it didn’t help Ford would of never spent the extra cash). Although Steeda initially posted they work with the g-trac brace, but there is some mild modification needed. I have seen 2 installs where guys were very resourceful and trimmed the strake to fit around the g-trac, but after discussion with our 2 shop mechanics, we came up with a much better solution, chalk mark where the g-trac bolts are and bore a hole thru the strake the same size as the bolt head with a dremmal and mount the strakes right over the bolt (see pics below). I would not recommend to even install the bottom screw in back, as it would go through the bolt washer, really no need as there is already a side fastener screw in rear as well. Overall very easy install and hoping to see a slight improvement in downforce. I will report back after some higher speed pulls. Btw, bought through Levittown Ford, considerably cheaper than the typical after market suppliers, saved around $45 😎

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

IMG_0536.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Similar mod needed for a stock S550? Do these sit lower than the front belly pan?

OP
OP
GrayMater22

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
Similar mod needed for a stock S550? Do these sit lower than the front belly pan?
This is mounted on an s550, the k-member is the same. My ride is lowered about a 1/2”, they do sit about 1/2-3/4” lower than the belly pan, but they are made of a flexable rubberized material that would just flex on a speed bump.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is mounted on an s550, the k-member is the same. My ride is lowered about a 1/2”, they do sit about 1/2-3/4” lower than the belly pan, but they are made of a flexable rubberized material that would just flex on a speed bump.
Ah I thought you were saying you had the G-Trac brace and it needed additional mods for that vs a stock S550.

That's good, yep that was my concern re:speed bumps.

OP
OP
GrayMater22

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
Ah I thought you were saying you had the G-Trac brace and it needed additional mods for that vs a stock S550.

That's good, yep that was my concern re:speed bumps.
Without the g-trac brace, no alterations needed at all, fits perfect on the factory k- member on s550 and s650s. The work around with g-trac brace is fairly simple as described in the opening post.
I have been studying up on aero lately and the positive impacts if done correctly are very impactful. I think too many auto enthusiast don’t give aero enough consideration.

Sponsored

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Without the g-trac brace, no alterations needed at all, fits perfect on the factory k- member on s550 and s650s. The work around with g-trac brace is fairly simple as described in the opening post.
I have been studying up on aero lately and the positive impacts if done correctly are very impactful. I think too many auto enthusiast don’t give aero enough consideration.
Oh awesome, my car is factory under there so the next time I'll have the car up these sound like an easy mod.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Good info, thanks for the pics and write up! Let us know if you feel a difference.

Regarding the G Trac brace, do you have the 2 point brace or the Extreme brace? I have the 2 point, assuming the modifications you made are needed no matter which brace you have?

OP
OP
GrayMater22

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
Good info, thanks for the pics and write up! Let us know if you feel a difference.

Regarding the G Trac brace, do you have the 2 point brace or the Extreme brace? I have the 2 point, assuming the modifications you made are needed no matter which brace you have?
It is the Steeda 2 point g-trac.

OP
OP
GrayMater22

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
Oh awesome, my car is factory under there so the next time I'll have the car up these sound like an easy mod.
It was probably the easiest mod I have done yet, even with the g-trac modification. Watch the vid on Steeda’s website about the air strakes, Ford definitely spent some serious cash on the aero on the gen7 cars.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It was probably the easiest mod I have done yet, even with the g-trac modification. Watch the vid on Steeda’s website about the air strakes, Ford definitely spent some serious cash on the aero on the gen7 cars.
Yeah I’ve watched that video a few times now. Seems like they’re trying to get the PP and DH cars a little more track ready. If only they’d button up the suspension a bit more (*cough* FP Track Handling Kit *cough*). At least for the GTPP, I haven’t driven a DH so not sure how they are suspension-wise.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GrayMater22

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah I’ve watched that video a few times now. Seems like they’re trying to get the PP and DH cars a little more track ready. If only they’d button up the suspension a bit more (*cough* FP Track Handling Kit *cough*). At least for the GTPP, I haven’t driven a DH so not sure how they are suspension-wise.
Totally agree, I have put more 💰 into rebuilding my suspension than any other mods. I am building my suspension for the hp/tq limits, I need it dialed in before the headers get installed, power is worthless if you can’t apply correctly. I even gave ford a detailed breakdown of the weak points in the factory suspension from a new buyer survey, I even used the term “borderline dangerous”, but they never replied.

OP
OP
GrayMater22

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium

After taking a nice afternoon drive on a local interstate and some back roads out in the country, the difference is noticeable and measurable. It is not as noticeable as the gt500 splitter/fender extensions (they made a huge difference with DF and high speed stability, even my wife noticed how much more planted the car was at speed, and she is not a car girl), the air strakes become more noticeable the faster you go, it feels like the car is sucking you closer to the ground, and at 75 mph I was running 125 rpm’s lower than prior to installing the strakes. I did one hard highway pull and I was surprised by the difference, and so was my wife as she was gripping the door handle 😂. For $105-$150 they are worth every penny.

Last edited:

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
After taking a nice afternoon drive on a local interstate and some back roads out in the country, the difference is noticeable and measurable. It is not as noticeable as the gt500 splitter/fender extensions (they made a huge difference with DF and high speed stability, even my wife noticed how much more planted the car was at speed, and she is not a car girl), the air strakes become more noticeable the faster you go, it feels like the car is sucking you closer to the ground, and at 75 mph I was running 125 rpm’s lower than prior to installing the strakes. I did one hard highway pull and I was surprised by the difference, and so was my wife as she was gripping the door handle 😂. For $105-$150 they are worth every penny.
This isn't how gearing and speed work... your engine speed is exactly the same as it was before.