Sponsored

Aftermarket tires

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
I know to start the GT350's only tires available either from the factory or as replacement will be the proprietary Michelins. Honestly, that fact is starting to dissuade me from buying a GT350. The idea of $2k/year at least on tires is dealbreaker.

When do folks think the aftermarket will start making other tires for it?
Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure if there are not other brands available in the sizes you're looking for, there will be by the time a year has passed since the first deliveries have been made.

However, I have to say, it always surprises me when people look to pull the trigger on a ultra high-performance vehicle and don't consider the long-term costs associated with doing so. Not saying this is your case, but a lot of people are only concerned about the out-the-door price or the monthly payment and don't realize the maintenance costs on a car like this until it's already in their garage.

OP
OP
kratty

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
I'm sure if there are not other brands available in the sizes you're looking for, there will be by the time a year has passed since the first deliveries have been made.

However, I have to say, it always surprises me when people look to pull the trigger on a ultra high-performance vehicle and don't consider the long-term costs associated with doing so. Not saying this is your case, but a lot of people are only concerned about the out-the-door price or the monthly payment and don't realize the maintenance costs on a car like this until it's already in their garage.
That would be great if other manufacturers step up within the first year.

Agreed on your other comment, which goes to the heart of my original question.:amen:

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
I suspect that the tires could last well over a year if you are really really careful on each launch, if you baby it around corners gently squeezing on the throttle when coming slowly coming out of a corner and if you make sure you NEVER-EVER lose traction and spin your tires.

Yeah, that would be fun!

Sarcasm aside, I get exactly what you are saying and you are SMART to consider this, no doubt hefty additional expense of owning this car. I will look at this as a FUN TAX. We all know the expression, "You wanna play, you gotta pay!"

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree you are smart to think about this, but I think if you're buying this car you should be thinking about buying stickier, better tires than the stock tires - or the stock tires.

Are you really going to downgrade your vehicle's performance as soon as the original tires wear out? Doesn't sound like fun to me.

I understand it's your car and your decision, but to me the entire reason for buying the car is performance.

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
The same thing happened with the Corvette C6, and it took tire manufacturers a couple of years to start producing a decent alternative to the OEM tires - for a car that was being produced in numbers of 30-40K, so the market was there. It will be interesting to see how the manufacturers will respond to thr GT350 market, which is a lot smaller.

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
I agree you are smart to think about this, but I think if you're buying this car you should be thinking about buying stickier, better tires than the stock tires - or the stock tires.

Are you really going to downgrade your vehicle's performance as soon as the original tires wear out? Doesn't sound like fun to me.

I understand it's your car and your decision, but to me the entire reason for buying the car is performance.
^This. As they say, you have to pay to play. And the Michelins are very good.

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
No offence, but if you are worried about replacing tires on this car, you do not need to be looking at this car. Buy a regular GT mustang, then you can get a great deal on the craigslist when you need new tires.:thumbsup:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Or he could just buy a set of cheap wheels and out whatever tire he wants on them...

My 2007 GT500 still has the OE F1's.

FTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
If tires are going to break the bank you should consider a different car and/or market segment. I go through 4 sets of tires a year and don't bat an eye. I'm already looking for wheel and tire upgrades for my GT350.

Sponsored

matrix243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor & Lightning
Unless you're tracking the car routinely, I can't see going through a set/year. Just don't use the line lock feature too much and you're good. I have a 500hp lightning and my nitto's last forever, as long as you don't do long standing burn outs.

Backorder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan...:-(
I'll be using this car as my DD. I can afford the tires but it would be nice to have a cheaper alternative for daily use and use the nice ones for track days.

I think this topic is a good one to know.

mustang_lurkers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350 Tech Package
I never go with cheap tires no matter what I drive. Tires are very essential to the performance of the car. If paying for expensive tires is a problem then this car is definatley not for you.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
If tires are going to break the bank you should consider a different car and/or market segment. I go through 4 sets of tires a year and don't bat an eye. I'm already looking for wheel and tire upgrades for my GT350.
4 sets of tires per year....WOW.....Just WOW

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Unless you're tracking the car routinely, I can't see going through a set/year. Just don't use the line lock feature too much and you're good. I have a 500hp lightning and my nitto's last forever, as long as you don't do long standing burn outs.

This is more realistic. The standard Super Sports will give an easy 20,000+ miles, even 30,000 for someone who drives slowly. Now the R's Sport Cups might not last more than a few track sessions.
Sponsored