Aftermarket sub muffled with seat up

ib2loud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Are the rear seats in these cars very dense? I put in a JBL 12" and it's very quiet with the seats up but when I fold one or both of them down it's a lot louder. I was hoping the bass would carry through the seats like most cars.

Any ideas of ways to let the sound through without having to leave the seats down all the time?
Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
back of the rear seats has this thick plastic material, probably sound absorbant. If you peel the back fabric off you can see it. Sturdy stuff

OP
OP
ib2loud

ib2loud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Guess that could be the culprit. Not really wanting to destroy the seats just for bass. Maybe I just need a more powerful sub

TonyN

SLO 5L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Instead of a new thread, I wanted to chime in here.

I have noticed the same with my sub. Seats up - sounds muffled and seems you can hear the sub working. Seats down - full, loud, clear bass.

I know the simple answer is to leave the seats down, but that isn't always an option and I am a perfectionist . lol

Has anyone actually removed the rear speakers and can confirm it sounds exceptionally better? My other thought was to cut a larger hole in the rear deck permitting space. Possibly even installing a port.

Thanks for any feedback.

Sponsored

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
I've noticed the same thing. Since I have two car seats in the back, folding down the seats is not an option. However, just rolling down my windows stops it from being muffled :shrug:

TonyN

SLO 5L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Rolling down the windows does help some in my case. But having one of the seats folded down is much better, especially with the windows down some as well. I typically have 2 booster seats back there.

I just come to the conclusion that Ford did a good job sealing the trunk up from the passenger compartment. The rear deck has no holes at all and the seats seem to be well insulated as well.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Like 908ssp said. Remove the rear speakers.

They don't do much (by design) so you won't lose much and then your subs have a pathway into the cabin.

OP
OP
ib2loud

ib2loud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I took out the rear speakers but I also upgraded the subs to two 10s and big amp. It's much louder and better sounding now other than the rattles on some notes.
Sponsored