Sponsored

Accident caused rear differential damage, will it be the same?

Mustang5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
My accident caused damage to the rear differential that was not found till I was given back the car. They replaced the rear crossmember as a result of my sliding into a curb. The car was severely pulling to the right under acceleration and after ford took a look at it they came to the conclusion that the rear differential need to be rebuilt.

Question is the car going to drive the same again?
Sponsored

skeys2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver Ecoboost Premium
So, back in August last year I hydroplaned into a curb. Zero body damage but broke everything in the rearend $13k in damage, which I still can't believe, if it's done properly you shouldn't notice any difference at all.

Side note, those Pirellis suck.

OP
OP

Mustang5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
So, back in August last year I hydroplaned into a curb. Zero body damage but broke everything in the rearend $13k in damage, which I still can't believe, if it's done properly you shouldn't notice any difference at all.

Side note, those Pirellis suck.
Exactly what happened to me!!!! No body damage. Both passenger wheels/tires replaced, rear crossmember, and now they are fixing the rear differential because the car doesn't drive straight.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
should be fine if they do a good job, and there is no other issues. They check the wheel bearings? It would be cool if you could get the Torsen 3.73

OP
OP

Mustang5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
should be fine if they do a good job, and there is no other issues. They check the wheel bearings? It would be cool if you could get the Torsen 3.73
There are no other issues to my knowledge. I have the 373s already. They did check the wheel bearing due to humming noise and replaced the rear passenger side

Sponsored

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
Sucks to hear this. I have a 15 convertible and wanted to get an exhaust. There's not much available for the convertibles and looking at the Magnaflow vs the MBRP systems, I was taken aback at the price differences and also the number of pieces between the two systems. The MBRP with fewer pieces and half the cost seemed the way to go.

I was ignorant of the fact that the two piece chassis brace had to be removed to do the install of the MBRP. The installer didn't seem to be intimidated by the job and only charged $80 to do it. I have to preface that when I got my car, I was impressed at how on center the wheel was and how neutral the tracking was. My comments to various people when asked how I liked the car, was its the most relaxing car I've ever driven.

Right after getting the exhaust installed, on the ride home I noticed it tended to drift to the right ever so slightly. Tire pressures were perfect. I only have 800 miles on the car and haven't hit any potholes or touched any curbs. I took it out again the other day and my earlier impression about the drifting on the way home after the install was reinforced. Definitely tends to drift. Not an obvious pulling, but a gradual bias to drift right. I also noticed that if I gave it gas with my hands off the wheel it would cause it to pull to the right. I even rode on the left side of a road that had a good crown to it and it would drift to the left as one might expect, but if I took my hands off the wheel and let it start to drift left, I could stop it and actually get it to drift right by giving it gas.

Bottom line, the MBRP exhaust is a quality looking system for the money, but IMHO 3 inch plumbing is overkill for a stock engine and it's too loud for a convertible. I think I'm going to order a Magnaflow Steet system. Should be a little quieter. Then after the install I'll have to take it to a good alignment shop. Moral of the story, if you own a convertible and your happy with the way your car drives, don't screw around with that rear chassis brace.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Sucks to hear this. I have a 15 convertible and wanted to get an exhaust. There's not much available for the convertibles and looking at the Magnaflow vs the MBRP systems, I was taken aback at the price differences and also the number of pieces between the two systems. The MBRP with fewer pieces and half the cost seemed the way to go.

I was ignorant of the fact that the two piece chassis brace had to be removed to do the install of the MBRP. The installer didn't seem to be intimidated by the job and only charged $80 to do it. I have to preface that when I got my car, I was impressed at how on center the wheel was and how neutral the tracking was. My comments to various people when asked how I liked the car, was its the most relaxing car I've ever driven.

Right after getting the exhaust installed, on the ride home I noticed it tended to drift to the right ever so slightly. Tire pressures were perfect. I only have 800 miles on the car and haven't hit any potholes or touched any curbs. I took it out again the other day and my earlier impression about the drifting on the way home after the install was reinforced. Definitely tends to drift. Not an obvious pulling, but a gradual bias to drift right. I also noticed that if I gave it gas with my hands off the wheel it would cause it to pull to the right. I even rode on the left side of a road that had a good crown to it and it would drift to the left as one might expect, but if I took my hands off the wheel and let it start to drift left, I could stop it and actually get it to drift right by giving it gas.

Bottom line, the MBRP exhaust is a quality looking system for the money, but IMHO 3 inch plumbing is overkill for a stock engine and it's too loud for a convertible. I think I'm going to order a Magnaflow Steet system. Should be a little quieter. Then after the install I'll have to take it to a good alignment shop. Moral of the story, if you own a convertible and your happy with the way your car drives, don't screw around with that rear chassis brace.
You didn't take it back to the installer?

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
On a previous vehicle the diff was rebuilt poorly and it "howled" when driving at a constant speed. If you notice any noise like this take it back right away, the noise will never go away and may get louder with age.

Caused by incorrectly aligned ring and pinion gears.
Sponsored